R.I.P. Barbara Cook

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Barbara Cook

Post by dws1982 »

flipp525 wrote:Cook's performance of "Too Many Mornings" in the concert version of Follies with George Hearn is one of my favorite things ever. She was just magical and heartbreaking.
That's one of my favorite Sondheim songs, and that is definitely a great version of it.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Cook's performance of "Too Many Mornings" in the concert version of Follies with George Hearn is one of my favorite things ever. She was just magical and heartbreaking.

This news was tough to take today.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Two musical legends died today, and I really don't have anything to say about them. When I think Glen Campbell, I think of his direct musical lineage like the Oak Ridge Boys. Not for me, sorry.

Barbara Cook, on the other hand, was a big part of the soundtrack of my youth. My parents were huge fans, and her performances were often played on the family stereo. But I always thought of it as "my parents music" and I still do. But personally if not musically this is huge passing. R.I.P.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

She was incomparable.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Barbara Cook

Post by Mister Tee »

Maybe the first case I saw of a person who re-invented herself and had a showbiz second act far longer and arguably more memorable than her first. She of course started out as the ingenue/leading lady, most famously in Candide, The Music Man and She Loves Me. But, by the early/mid-70s, she'd put on about 60-80 pounds and become one of the great NY cabaret stars -- a status she retained until just now. Her voice was truly special.

My wife was friends with her long-time accompanist Wally Harper, so we also met her on one or two occasions, during which she was completely gracious. A lovely human being, and a NY giant.

http://variety.com/2017/legit/news/barb ... 202519017/

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”