R.I.P. Joe Cocker

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Joe Cocker

Post by Mister Tee »

We can use the often-invoked but rarely so deseved "one of a kind". He came from the era when authenticity was more important than technical vocal quality. To hear/watch him go through With a Little Help from my Friends was like being witness to an exorcism.

And he had a sense of humor about it: on Saturday Night Live, he shared the stage with Belushi doing the dead-on impression of him that had made Belushi a legend in National Lampoon's Lemmings. They can finally do an encore.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Joe Cocker

Post by Big Magilla »

Billboard:

Joe Cocker, the British rock artist best known for his cover of the Beatles’ “With a Little Help from My Friends” and the 1982 smash “Up Where We Belong,” has passed away at the age of 70.

Cocker’s agent Barrie Marshall confirmed the death to the BBC, calling Cocker “simply unique” and saying “it will be impossible to fill the space he leaves in our hearts.”

Born in 1944 in Sheffield, Cocker performed at the Woodstock Festival in 1969 and scored 19 charting hits on the Billboard Hot 100, including familiar recordings like 1968's "With a Little Help From My Friends," which later became the theme song for the hit 1980s TV show The Wonder Years.

Cocker topped the Hot 100 with the 1982 single "Up Where We Belong," with Jennifer Warnes, from the film An Officer and a Gentleman. The song also won him his only Grammy Award, for best pop performance by a duo or group with vocal.

He also charted top 40 hits with "You Are So Beautiful" (No. 5), "The Letter" (with Leon Russell and The Shelter People, No. 7), "When the Night Comes" (No. 11) and "Feeling Alright" (No. 33). Another famed Cocker track, the Randy Newman-penned "You Can Leave Your Hat On," became a hit in 1986 after it was used in the film 9 1/2 Weeks. The song reached No. 35 on the Mainstream Rock Songs chart.

Although Cocker was reportedly battling lung cancer, the singer-songwriter’s agent said that he passed away of an undisclosed illness.

Return to “Broadcast Media”