Mad Men's Final Season

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
flipp525
Laureate

Re: Mad Men's Final Season

Post by flipp525 »

ksrymy wrote:Okay. I'm either going to look like an idiot or a genius here, but I think Megan is going to go the way of Sharon Tate.
This idea has been ALL over the Internet for quite some time. There've been whole articles written about it.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Mike Kelly wrote: Quiz: What was the title of the movie that Don and Megan started watching, but Don shut off after Megan started falling asleep?
Lost Horizon.

Vanilla Fudge's album actually came out in 1967, but I can attest it was very frequently played at parties I went to in 1969 (along with In-a-Gadda-da-Vida, which I have to feel we'll hear at some point this season).

FilmFan, I'm with you: the airport shot to me was right out of Benjamin's arrival at LAX in The Graduate.

ksrymy, Internet boards were abuzz all last season about Megan being associated with the Sharon Tate murders; supposedly in one episode she wore a t-shirt similar to one Tate was photographed in.

When Freddie was doing that opening pitch, I was thinking to myself, damn, that sounds like a Draper pitch. The irony: Peggy, feeling the need to be a boss, changed the tag line into something lesser, which -- in combination with this jerk Lou's apparent disdain for her -- caused the pitch to be rejected. If she'd known it was Don's, she might have left it as is, and got it approved. (By the way, someone pointed out: Weiner really likes this last-minute reveal on the season opener. We found out Don was married at the last moment of Season one's opener, and about Linda Cardellini in the closing scene last year)

Isn't it great how Stan, who was so vile to Peggy in early seasons, has become such a good buddy?

Hilarious that Pete is the one who seems to be a fully converted Angeleno.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Also, a barefoot, miserable Don on a cold balcony, to me, clearly indicates that he'll jump. I mean, when you think about it, have they not been telling us this during the opening credits for the past six seasons?
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Okay. I'm either going to look like an idiot or a genius here, but I think Megan is going to go the way of Sharon Tate.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

I'm excited too. Again, great use of pop music with The Spencer Davis Group and Vanilla Fudge. Quiz: What was the title of the movie that Don and Megan started watching, but Don shut off after Megan started falling asleep?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

flipp525 wrote:But I was seriously unimpressed that Weiner felt the need to re-create the iconic shot of Pam Grier on the people-mover set to "Across 110th Street" that was featured in Jackie Brown. The colored tile walls in the tunnels at LAX were designed by Charles Kratka and installed in 1961, so that was at least historically accurate. But, c'mon.
Given the time period, wasn't he more quoting The Graduate (albeit without the tiles) which is much more period and thematically appropriate?

I thought it was a solid episode, but not the greatest opener. It laid the groundwork for a lot of interesting possibilities, though, so I am excited.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I was mostly unimpressed with last night's episode.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I will be devastated if the show ends like this. It certainly has potential to be discussed as the best of all time.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Any guesses on which cult Roger's daughter has joined?

It appears that Don hasn't let Megan in on the fact that he's been suspended at work. The show her agent was saying she was up for — "Bracken's World" — is real and starred Eleanor Powell.

Season premieres are always tough because they have to set so much of the season up. But I was seriously unimpressed that Weiner felt the need to re-create the iconic shot of Pam Grier on the people-mover set to "Across 110th Street" that was featured in Jackie Brown. The colored tile walls in the tunnels at LAX were designed by Charles Kratka and installed in 1961, so that was at least historically accurate. But, c'mon.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Greg
Tenured

Mad Men's Final Season

Post by Greg »

It begins tomorrow, Sunday , April 13, at 10 PM Easter/9 PM Central.

Return to “Broadcast Media”