R.I.P. Peter Seeger

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Greg
Tenured

Re: R.I.P. Peter Seeger

Post by Greg »

A video of Pete Seeger performing "This Land Is Your Land" with his grandson and Bruce Springsteen at Obama's first inauguration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnvCPQqQWds
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

A great man indeed. It's sad to think that we won't be hearing him sing at any more rallies.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

One of a kind. A man true to himself over nearly a century. He brushed off societal dismissal, kept on his own path -- and will be remembered far longer than those who sneered at him as outdated.

I saw him perform at Carnegie Hall, a benefit for the Newport Folk Festival; 1972. He was an utterly guileless performer -- had a jaded audience of NYers doing part-singalongs of "Wimoweh" and "We Are Climbing Jacob's Ladder". His love of the American songbook was palpable. And he was associated with so many songs I love -- "Goodnight, Irene", "If I had a Hammer', "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" My last real memory of him will be his singing the oft-censored verse of "This Land is Your Land" at the Lincoln Memorial prior to Obama's inauguration. A perfect note on which to immortalize him.
Last edited by Mister Tee on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Peter Seeger

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “Broadcast Media”