2012-2013 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 2012-2013 Emmy Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

It's always nice to see a long time favorite like Jeff Daniels finally recognized for something. I just wish it were for something better than The Newsroom which I suffered through half a season of before giving up on. I actually thought the supporting cast - Emily Mortimer, John Gallahger, Jr., Alison Pill, Thomas Sadoski, Dev Patel - all had more interesting characters to play than the three big names. Daniels and Sam Waterston were given the big Aaron Sorkin liberal speeches while Jane Fonda played against type as a hard-nosed conservative. The Hour which mined the same territory albeit in an earlier era was infinitely better.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Didn't watch. Was watching part of the Chicago/Pittsburgh game, and then went over to my parent's house for Breaking Bad.

I'm glad Veep won two awards, although I don't quite "get" Tony Hale here (just like I didn't "get" him in Arrested Development). Of the excellent Veep supporting cast, I would've gone with Reid Scott over Hale; probably even Timothy Simons. Still glad to see him over the Modern Family guys. (Would've gone with Adam Driver overall, I think.) Yeah, Julia Louis-Dreyfus has won several Emmys, but in Veep she's working at a different level than pretty much any comedic actress on TV. Wish the series could've won Comedy Series, and where were the writing/directing nominations? I've never really watched Nurse Jackie but I'm glad to see a relatively unknown and un-hyped actress like Merritt Wever win.

On the Drama Side, while I only watched one episode of The Newsroom, I was glad to see Jeff Daniels win. Damian Lewis would've been deserving, but he did just win last year, and Cranston's year on Breaking Bad wasn't his best. (He'll probably win next year, and deservedly so.) Daniels has been such a reliable and unheralded actor for so long that I'm glad to see it as a career tribute. Strange that, as HBO seems less and less dominant in the Drama Series landscape, it still managed two major acting wins. Glad to see Anna Gunn win her category; her performance in her submitted episode ("Fifty-One") was truly excellent. Although I wouldn't have argued too much with Maggie Smith winning again for her very entertaining work opposite Shirley MacLaine. Favorite award had to be the Writing award to the great Henry Bromell, probably the best TV writer who never got to create and run his own show. The guy had a truly impressive resume--two of the best shows of the 90's: I'll Fly Away and Homicide; and two of the most underrated of the 00's: Brotherhood and Rubicon.

On the TV movie front, I didn't see many of the nominees. There's no real reason why The Hour shouldn't have been considered a Drama Series, but I'm glad to see it get some recognition. (Wish it could've continued.) I did like Top of the Lake and would've chosen it over Behind the Candelabra, but most of my favorite Movies/Miniseries of the past year were British productions that weren't Emmy eligible: The Hollow Crown; Dancing on the Edge; Accused.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I have come to the conclusion that the Emmys will never be able to make anyone happy.

This year, they changed some stuff up and it pissed people up (including me)...Jeff Daniels wins over previous winners and everyone gets up in arms; Merritt Weaver comes from behind to win and all anyone cares about is the speech. Ironically, the only new award people seem happy about is Breaking Bad winning Best Drama, and no one seems to remember that it won for what is probably its weakest season since the first (next year it will be well deserved, though...and keep in mind that Breaking Bad at its weakest is still a worthy winner. I'm just grasping straws here).

Overall, these winners are not so old hat. Modern Family wins for the fourth year, but gets no acting awards; Parsons wins his third, but after taking a year off; the other repeat winners were all on their second award (although with Temple Grandin a few years ago, I understand the Danes fatigue...and Julia Louis Dreyfuss has won enough over the years). 5 of the 8 acting winners were first time recipients, we had new winners in the Variety category, and sometimes it can help to remember that certain shows and people win on repeat because they deserve it...

My favorite win of the night was the immensely deserving Tony Hale for Veep, probably the strongest comedy of last season.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Jack Klugman. Larry Hagman. Roger Ebert. Just to name a few of the people who should have gotten some kind of tribute. Perhaps it would have been best to lump these all together...or better yet, just do more clips in the tribute reel. At least the audience attempted to applaud every person in the In Memoriam instead of sitting on their hands when they didn't know someone.

I thought the musical number in the middle was fun and the choreography number likewise. I was distracted during the opening, so I wasn't paying much attention, though that's the fault of the opening that I wasn't paying attention.

Surprises are great, but when they aren't backed up by boat-rocking major category changes (Comedy Series, Comedy Actor, Comedy Actress, Drama Actress, Movie/Mini, etc.), they don't mean a whole lot.

Until Mad Men's final season, I don't see it regaining its Emmy glory. The problem will be that it competes next year with the final half of the final season of Breaking Bad, which will likely go out with a bang now that it has broken the Drama Series ceiling. While people turned on Mad Men at the beginning, the sentiment as the show finished out its season was that it was back on top, though the narrative of being out of sync this season stuck around a bit longer.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Right off the bat, first award, I was thinking to myself, It'd be great if it was Merritt Wever, but fat chance...and there she was a winner. I don't think the Oscars in the last decade have had as many surprises as last night did, which makes it fun to watch (especially since, my TV watching being very hit-and-miss, I have little emotional investment in most outcomes).

Lots of Internet folk were up in arms over Jeff Daniels. My feeling was, if it wasn't going to be Jon Hamm (and it wasn't, not with the way many turned on the show this year), Cranston has enough Emmys to last him a lifetime, so why not give something to the guy I've admired since first seeing him in Fifth of July over 30 years ago. (And to top it off, he cited Fifth of July's playwright in his speech)

I felt much the same as BJ did about Behind the Candelabra -- thought the script was the weakest element. And I DID think The Hour was pretty good, and a lot better written. Douglas was quite funny, though.

Did anyone else, hearing of David Fincher's absence, think "Yeah -- like there was a chance in hell he'd turn up here"?

Glad to see Colbert FINALLY win -- probably Jon Stewart was even more glad. On the whole, refreshing wins -- they even resisted the Maggie-Smith-by-rote impulse --but, of course, there's always Jim Parsons and Modern Family.

I found both the Falco/Gandolfini and Reiner/Stapleton tributes very touching. But, yeah, it was a guaranteed downer every 15 minutes or so, and I wouldn't suggest repeating the device. And, yes, the producers didn't think the Cory Monteith thing through -- the fact that his death was tragic doesn't bump him into the lifetime achievement pantheon of the others singled out. As creepy as it is for people to be arguing this over Twitter, I can see why Jack Klugman's family feels he was slighted in the process.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Overall, it was nice to see some new winners get their due -- Breaking Bad, The Colbert Report, Tony Hale, Bobby Cannavale, Merritt Wever, Anna Gunn, and probably most of all Jeff Daniels, who's had a solid career over several decades and never really won anything. (However, given that voters seem to have moved on from Mad Men, I fear Jon Hamm will never win one of these.)

Interesting that Behind the Candelabra made a virtual sweep (it dominated the tech prizes) yet lost the Screenplay award. I wasn't an especially big fan of the movie, and thought its script was its weakest element, so I wasn't especially bothered.

I thought the telecast was pretty hideous, though. Too many elements seemed to be of the WHAT IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW? variety -- Elton John's bizarre tribute to Liberace, Carrie Underwood's commemoration of...the 60's (?), and probably most baffling of all, the Choreography tribute (because a Breaking Bad-themed interpretive dance number is EXACTLY something the world needed.) I think what was most puzzling about these moments were their genuinely tentative connection to anything that had anything to do with anything.

The in memoriam tributes were genuinely moving (especially Edie Falco's loving send-off to James Gandolfini) but I agree with those who felt like they turned the show into a bit of a dirge. I always like the In Memoriam segments of award shows -- it's important to pause and remember those artists who left us -- but so many downer moments spaced out throughout the show were a bit depressing. And, though I was plenty shocked and saddened by Corey Monteith's passing, it is INSANE that he would receive his own tribute when someone like Roger Ebert did not.

Some of the announcer's "trivia" about the winners was pretty hysterical, in an embarrassing way. Hearing that Bobby Cannavale performed in youth choir and musicals and that Claire Danes is also a dancer is supposed to strike me as unique and interesting?

Was it just me, or did it seem the winners have even less time than usual to give speeches? I felt like barely anyone had a chance to get started before the music cut them off.

I've been a fan of Neil Patrick Harris in the past, but I confess I'm starting to get a little tired of his hosting gigs. I thought the Middle of the Show number was virtually pointless (and badly choreographed, at that). And I don't think I laughed once during the opening segment. At this point, it feels like there's an element of just going through the motions with him.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I actually enjoyed the Choreography presentation and the Middle of the Show number. The ones I did not care for are the two song numbers with Elton John and Carrie Underwood. Steven Levitan (the producer of Modern Family) said it right: This is the saddest Emmys ever. The five separate memorial tributes gave the effect that we're attending a wake. They should've just stuck it to just one segment.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

So, we are stuck with two pointless musical numbers (and Magilla, the choreography Emmy has been given for years, just never on the telecast itself) but nowhere were their clips of any nominated shows. If the Emmys are supposed to celebrate the best in television, shouldn't viewers SOMEWHERE in the show get to see a little bit about what makes these shows great?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The show got off to a boring start but picked up steam with the first presentation - a surprise win for the startled Merrit Wever (Nurse Jackie) whose entire speech was "Thank you very much. Um, I gotta go."

Further surprise wins (Jeff Daniels, Bobby Cannavale in particular), the posthumous win for the Homeland writer Henry Bromell, the heartfelt tributes, the standing ovation for Bob Newhart were also highlights. The In Memoriam segment included just about anybody who died this past season you could think of. I dozed off and missed the last four or five awards including Michael Douglas who from news reports gave a nice speech as well.

James Cromwell was introduced in a voiceover as the only actor to have ever said "Star Trek" on Star Trek.

Worst part - a dreadful "tribute" to choreography which was awarded its first Emmy to Dancing With the Stars' Derek Hough.

Most awkward moment - Diahann Carroll declaring that Kerry Washington had better win - she lost to Claire Danes.

As for Neil Patrick Harris - the middle show number did pick up the show a bit, but that deadly dull opening where he sat binge watching shows from last season was a waste of time. The cameo appearances of past hosts didn't help. He should stick to the Tonys or get better writers if he's asked back to the Emmys.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

When this brouhaha over the Cory Monteith tribute (but no Larry Hagman or Jack Klugman) was first publicized a few days ago I thought that the show was dispensing with the In Memoriam segment altogether and just recognizing the four (Monteith, Stapleton, Winters, Gandolfini).

I couldn't watch the show, but I read that they did do a regular montage tribute to all those who passed away. Did they do a decent job of it? Can anyone list who they included? Any egregious omissions?

On Deadline.com they had some backstage coverage with the winners and upon seeing James Cromwell (Best Supporting Actor - Miniseries or Movie) being interviewed I immediately remembered that he played Stretch Cunningham on All in the Family for a few early seasons. Too bad no savvy journalist ever asked him about his thoughts on Jean Stapleton on this night.

Finally, those Emmy's are huge awards with sharp, dangerous spikes jutting out. Of all the show biz awards this one could really take an eye out or worse. With eight of them, Cloris Leachman would probably have a decent chance of fending off any home invader.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Not a fan of Game of Thrones?

The winners.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Final predictions:

OUTSTANDING MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Will win: Behind the Candelabra (HBO)
Should win: Top of the Lake (Sundance Channel)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Will win: Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra (HBO)
Should win: Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra (HBO)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Will win: Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Asylum (FX)
Should win: Elisabeth Moss, Top of the Lake (Sundance Channel)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Will win: Peter Mullan, Top of the Lake (The Sundance Channel)
Should win: Peter Mullan, Top of the Lake (The Sundance Channel)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Will win: Ellen Burstyn, Political Animals (USA)
Should win: Alfre Woodard, Steel Magnolias (Lifetime)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Will win: Steven Soderbergh, Behind the Candelabra (HBO)
Should win: Jane Campion & Garth Davis, Top of the Lake (Sundance Channel)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Will win: Richard LaGravanese, Behind the Candelabra (HBO)
Should win: Jane Campion & Gerard Lee, Top of the Lake (Sundance Channel)

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
Will win: Breaking Bad (AMC)
Should win: Breaking Bad (AMC)
Shouldabeen nominated: Anything over Game of Thrones (HBO)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Will win: Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad (AMC)
Should win: Kevin Spacey, House of Cards (Netflix)
Shouldabeen nominated: -

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Will win: Claire Danes, Homeland (Showtime)
Should win: Claire Danes, Homeland (Showtime)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Will win: Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad (AMC)
Should win: Jonathan Banks, Breaking Bad (AMC)
Shouldabeen nominated: Brendan Coyle, Downton Abbey over Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones (HBO)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Will win: Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey (PBS)
Should win: Christina Hendricks, Mad Men (AMC)
Shouldabeen nominated: Archie Panabji, The Good Wife over Morena Baccarin, Homeland (Showtime) and Kelly Macdonald, Boardwalk Empire over Emilia Clark, Game of Thrones (HBO)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Will win: Michelle MacLaren, Breaking Bad ("Gliding Over All") (AMC)
Should win: Michelle MacLaren, Breaking Bad ("Gliding Over All") (AMC)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Will win: Thomas Schnauz, Breaking Bad ("Say My Name") (AMC)
Should win: Thomas Schnauz, Breaking Bad ("Say My Name") (AMC)

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES
Will win: Modern Family (ABC)
Should win: 30 Rock
Shouldabeen nominated: Anything over The Big Bang Theory

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Will win: Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock (NBC)
Should win: Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock (NBC)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Will win: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (HBO)
Should win: Laura Dern, Enlightened (HBO)
Shouldabeen nominated: Portia de Rossi, Arrested Development (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Will win: Ty Burrell, Modern Family (ABC)
Should win: Tony Hale, Veep (HBO)
Shouldabeen nominated: Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family (ABC) over Ed O'Neill, Modern Family (ABC)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Will win: Julie Bowen, Modern Family (ABC)
Should win: Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock (NBC)
Shouldabeen nominated: Anyone over Jane Lynch, Glee (Fox)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
Will win: Louis C.K., Louie ("New Year's Eve") (FX)
Should win: Beth McCarthy-Miller, 30 Rock ("Hogcock!/Last Lunch) (NBC)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
Will win: Louis CK and Pamela Adlon, Louie ("Daddy's Girlfriend Part 1") (FX)
Should win: Tina Fey & Tracey Wigfield, 30 Rock ("Hogcock!/Last Lunch) (NBC)

OUTSTANDING VARIETY, MUSIC or COMEDY SERIES
Will win: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Comedy Central)
Should win: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Comedy Central)

OUTSTANDING REALITY/COMPETITION SERIES
Will win: The Amazing Race (CBS)
Should win: The Voice (NBC)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A VARIETY, MUSIC or COMEDY SERIES
Will win: Don Roy King, Saturday Night Live (NBC)
Should win: Don Roy King, Saturday Night Live (NBC)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A VARIETY, MUSIC or COMEDY SERIES
Will win: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Comedy Central)
Should win: The Colbert Report (Comedy Central)

OUTSTANDING CHOREOGRAPHY
Will win: Warren Carlyle, Live from Lincoln Center: Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel (PBS)
Should win: Warren Carlyle, Live from Lincoln Center: Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel (PBS)
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Final predictions:

OUTSTANDING MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Behind the Candelabra (HBO)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra (HBO)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Asylum (FX)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Peter Mullan, Top of the Lake (The Sundance Channel)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Sarah Paulson, American Horror Story: Asylum (FX)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Steven Soderbergh, Behind the Candelabra (HBO)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A MINISERIES or MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
Richard LaGravanese, Behind the Candelabra (HBO)

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
Breaking Bad (AMC)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Damien Lewis, Homeland (Showtime)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Claire Danes, Homeland (Showtime)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad (AMC)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad (AMC)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Michelle MacLaren, Breaking Bad ("Gliding Over All") (AMC)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Henry Bromell, Homeland ("Q&A") (Showtime)

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES
Modern Family (ABC)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation (NBC)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Tony Hale, Veep (HBO)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Julie Bowen, Modern Family (ABC)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
Gail Mancuso, Modern Family ("Arrested") (ABC)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
Louis CK and Pamela Adlon, Louie ("Daddy's Girlfriend Part 1") (FX)

OUTSTANDING VARIETY, MUSIC or COMEDY SERIES
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Comedy Central)

OUTSTANDING REALITY/COMPETITION SERIES
The Amazing Race (CBS)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A VARIETY, MUSIC or COMEDY SERIES
Don Roy King, Saturday Night Live (NBC)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A VARIETY, MUSIC or COMEDY SERIES
The Colbert Report (Comedy Central)

OUTSTANDING CHOREOGRAPHY
Warren Carlyle, Live from Lincoln Center: Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (PBS)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Bog wrote:they probably won't award Breaking Bad these next 2 Emmys either, which, with still 2 episodes left, has to now be considered the best show to grace the small screen.
If they get the last two episodes right, I'll definitely be willing to discuss it as the best TV show of all time. They've really brought the narrative and all of the themes together in a powerful way.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Okri wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Does anyone watch Orphan Black? Worth checking out? This Tatiana Maslany snub seems to be causing quite the uproar. Seems like—as we saw with Ben Affleck/Argo—this could be the best thing that's ever happened to her.
YES. Trust me. She is beyond amazing in a very challenging role. The show itself is also superb.

As people have said, there's a lot of really amazing stuff on television right now, so there will be some snubs that hurt. This was the biggest for me.
Sorry Claire Danes....even sorrier Robin Wright. My wife and I just completed binge watching this fantastic show, and Tatiana Maslany's Emmy is 110% in the bag! Oh, shit, she didn't even get a nomination...no bother, they probably won't award Breaking Bad these next 2 Emmys either, which, with still 2 episodes left, has to now be considered the best show to grace the small screen. Give it to Homeland again or the hot new House of Cards, or a definitely disappointing back to Mad Men award for this season, and the snub won't seem so egregious. The Emmys actual awarded trophies have never really existed for quality over quantity anyway...

Return to “Broadcast Media”