2012-2013 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: 2012-2013 Emmy Awards

Post by OscarGuy »

What's funny about that i that I was reading an article on the results on Hollywood Reporter last night and they said something about Newhart winning again and I just wanted to punch the writer.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

flipp525 wrote:Does anyone watch Orphan Black? Worth checking out? This Tatiana Maslany snub seems to be causing quite the uproar. Seems like—as we saw with Ben Affleck/Argo—this could be the best thing that's ever happened to her.
YES. Trust me. She is beyond amazing in a very challenging role. The show itself is also superb.

As people have said, there's a lot of really amazing stuff on television right now, so there will be some snubs that hurt. This was the biggest for me.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I was frustrated with the expansion even to six...this is what I'd consider a more high brow board, so I suppose I know the answer, but if Britton and Washington were absent with the other five ladies left standing, I think nary a peep we'd hear. What is the voting rule that allows 7s to slide through? I'm fairly certain under the previous voting rules, a category having a outlier of more than 5 was impossible. Hell, maybe I'm off and those two were in right behind Danes, and Farmiga and Wright (my hands down winner) were beneficiaries. This gives me solace in them possibly thinking Keri Russell was 8th best this Emmy season.

I didn't wanna sound like a whiner...there is an amazing glut of great television from channels 1-999. I'm not one of those that's super down on film right now, but in Columbus, Ohio it is significantly easier to be there than it likely is on the coasts. I have one indie theater that thinks outside the box and it has two "rooms" it shows films considered independent. The multiplex is abundant in midwest America and routinely uses 8 of the 24 theaters for the Iron Man 2/3/4/5 of the week or month. It is wild how easy it is nowadays to read Flipp's post, turn on the television, search the Netflix/Hulu/On Demand queue, find Orphan Black, spend 45 minutes viewing and deciding if it is worthwhile. The good news with the glut is the phenomenal amount of complex, intense, drama-filled, brilliantly acted, addicting, (many other positive adjectives) television programs which can be found from so many sources...right from the couch or lounger.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Bog wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote: I'm ECSTATIC that Jon Cryer is out of the Lead Actor in a Comedy race.
Oh how sweet it is...however, I'd be wary they will de facto bring him right back with the definite absence of Baldwon and likely Bateman and Louie.
Louie will be back January 2014 so despite the year-long break, it wouldn't miss an Emmy cycle.

I'd also like to point out that there are 7 women nominated in the top directing categories.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Does anyone watch Orphan Black? Worth checking out? This Tatiana Maslany snub seems to be causing quite the uproar. Seems like—as we saw with Ben Affleck/Argo—this could be the best thing that's ever happened to her.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I'm with Eric. Even now that the major categories have expanded to (officially) six nominees, we routinely get categories with seven, with plenty of fields (Drama, Comedy, Miniseries/Movie, et al). It's not like there are a shortage of people receiving nominations.

In any given year, plenty of quality work won't be recognized -- that's just the nature of any awards show. And, no matter one's personal opinion about the shows nominated and excluded, overall this list seems (to me) to be a pretty solid representation of quality tv shows.

Expanding the categories further just to include more people would really seem to water down the nature of competition. To quote The Incredibles, if everyone is super, no one is.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Yeah, more nominations. That's the ticket. Nominate everything! :roll:
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Goodman was talking about ten PER category, not spread across multiple categories. So Drama Actress would have 10. Drama Actor would have 10, etc. I still think that's a lot...it would just encourage the Jon Cryers and the Downton Abbeys to return to the nomination field where as 7 or 8 would cover the vast breadth of the original progrmaming landscape. There are three times as many programs on the air today than there were just two decades ago. The expansion to 6 was supposed to cover the larger influx, but now that Netflix has found success and Amazon is about to enter the scripted fray, other online sources are bound to start figuring in these deals, which will just make it that much harder to avoid leaving off pivotal names.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Bog wrote:Tim Olyphant and Keri Russell on merit could probably replace any single one of the 13 people nominated (ok outside Cranston and Wright) in their respective categories. It sounds even sillier as I type it to not consider both or either of them as in the top 13 of last year.
I agree, Bog. Keri Russell was just RIVETING on "The Americans." I was really bowled over by her performance.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy wrote:Tim Goodman at HP suggested expanding the categories to ten nominations to cover the vastness of quality that's out there. I think just pushing it to 7 or 8 would be fine.
If you want to get technical, there are already 12 nominations in each category for series TV, just separated into comedy vs. drama diads.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Tim Goodman at HP suggested expanding the categories to ten nominations to cover the vastness of quality that's out there. I think just pushing it to 7 or 8 would be fine.
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:Jennifer Carpenter had a spectacular season Dexter and Kiernan Shipka was left off Best Supporting Actress for Mad Men. I'd start complaining there.
As Alan Sepinwall pointed out, there is such an abundance of riches that it is hard to complain about anyone being left off the list, especially when everyone nominated has genuine critical support of some kind (I.e. no Jon Cryers). I don't watch Dexter, but I'll be first to admit that this wasn't Kiernan Shipkas finest season...

If I'm going to grumble, it would be that I hoped Vincent Kartheiser might finally get recognition after an MVP season, but who are you going to knock off the Supporting Actor roster? It's a surplus if talent there. I also hoped Monica Potter might get Parenthood on the map with an Emmy bait season, but alas!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

anonymous1980 wrote: I'm ECSTATIC that Jon Cryer is out of the Lead Actor in a Comedy race.
Oh how sweet it is...however, I'd be wary they will de facto bring him right back with the definite absence of Baldwon and likely Bateman and Louie.

I know Claire Danes is basically unbeatable in this tv awards business once nominated (and if she wins again it will be hard to argue), but Robin Wright slaughtered it this year. The Netflix thing may have been an issue one would have thought, but during a interview with the head of the academy (in some voting fashion) the interviewer asked that question...the response "we are used to the digital landscape, this is its 7th year of eligibility, just the first year for 2 shows with actual notoriety."

The Good:

- Farmiga getting in a crowded field...7 in fact?
- House of Cards, while not perfect, was pretty fantastic and deserved the across the board nods
- No Jon Cryer
- Tony Hale
- Damon not relegating himself to support, maybe I'll enjoy this Hollywood look on the small screen. Whichever "bane of his exiestence" big studio may have have grabbed Soderbergh's "now final" film, there is literally zero chance they'd have allowed their Cannes best actor to be competed against within his own film by an arguably bigger name...at the Oscars.
- Laura Dern, Morena Baccarin, Merritt Weaver, Emilia Clarke...way to go premium cable incredibly deserving ladies
- Top of the Lake.
- Mandy effing Patinkin!!!

The Bad:

- No Corey Stoll
- 5 supporting noms for Modern Family, 0 for Tambor, Arnett, Walter
- No Conan
- Tim Olyphant and Keri Russell on merit could probably replace any single one of the 13 people nominated (ok outside Cranston and Wright) in their respective categories. It sounds even sillier as I type it to not consider both or either of them as in the top 13 of last year.
- MacLaren, or even Van Patten with great directorial achievements, specifically the reveal in the former...likely will be second banana to big Hollywood Fincher...largely for having just been nommed at another prestigious awards ceremony.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

dws1982 wrote:I gave up on Mad Men during season four, but I am glad to see Linda Cardellini finally nominated for something all these years after Freaks and Geeks.
Sadly, her character was maybe the biggest dead end turn the show has ever taken.

Return to “Broadcast Media”