R.I.P. Mac Davis

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Mac Davis

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:Tommy DeVito from The Four Seasons died a week or so ago and whilst not exactly from the 1970s he makes three.
"Not exactly"? He was 92 and from a different era entirely. All three movies he was in were in minor roles thanks to his friend Joe Pesci who was also in those films. He was never a star. Helen Reddy and Mac Davis, who were both stars, were both 78.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Tommy DeVito from The Four Seasons died a week or so ago and whilst not exactly from the 1970s he makes three.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

danfrank wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:I don't believe in "death-in-threes", but Mac Davis and Helen Reddy is just one person short of a perfect "death-in-threes".

I'm sorry to speak ill of the dead, but Mac Davis was the perfect symbol of the "Please love me as much as I love me" 70s. The world is a little less slimy today.

Let’s see: who would fit in with Mac Davis and Helen Reddy: Tony Orlando? Toni Tennille? Terry Jacks? There’s no shortage of forgettable 1970# singers.
Definitely B.J. Thomas!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Sonic Youth wrote:I don't believe in "death-in-threes", but Mac Davis and Helen Reddy is just one person short of a perfect "death-in-threes".

I'm sorry to speak ill of the dead, but Mac Davis was the perfect symbol of the "Please love me as much as I love me" 70s. The world is a little less slimy today.

Let’s see: who would fit in with Mac Davis and Helen Reddy: Tony Orlando? Toni Tennille? Terry Jacks? There’s no shortage of forgettable 1970# singers.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Baby, Don't Get Hooked on Me is example enough. The good old "Babe, I'm just here to fuck you. I know I'm God's gift, but dont fall in love or anything." theme was common enough in the 70s, but the manly-yet-sensitive come-on in his voice is practically a precursor to Dick in a Box.

But then there's Hard to be Humble, which was a minor hit in the early 80s, which is a song about his self-love. It's meant to be a parody, but he clearly knows his subject matter... which, come to think of it, is the same subject matter in most of his serious songs, including Baby, Don't Get Hooked on Me.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote: I'm sorry to speak ill of the dead, but Mac Davis was the perfect symbol of the "Please love me as much as I love me" 70s. The world is a little less slimy today.
Care to specify of which you speak? All I really remember of Davis is Baby, Don't Get Hooked on Me -- an unexceptional but not horrible pop hit -- and his quite good sleazeball in North Dallas Forty. Are there some juicy stories I've never heard?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I don't believe in "death-in-threes", but Mac Davis and Helen Reddy is just one person short of a perfect "death-in-threes".

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Mac Singer

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:Mac Singer or Mac Davis?
Corrected :oops:
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Mac Singer

Post by Reza »

Mac Singer or Mac Davis?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Mac Davis

Post by Precious Doll »

Singer though I only know him through his film appearances notably North Dallas Forty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Davis
Last edited by Precious Doll on Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Broadcast Media”