2020 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: 2020 Emmy Awards

Post by Sabin »

We're months and months away but I'd be astonished if Jason Sudeikis doesn't win Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical for Ted Lasso. The series itself is probably a good bet as well. It's pretty much geared towards 40+ industry males, and Bill Lawrence has never won an Emmy despite a pretty great career.

It's about Ted Lasso, a goofy, sunny American football coach from Kansas, who is recruited to be the coach of a struggling English football team despite knowing nothing about the sport. The team is under new management by Rebecca (Hannah Waddingham, excellent as a woman in healing) a divorcee who claimed the team following her divorcee from her adulterous husband and wants to run the team into the ground because its the only thing her ex-husband ever truly loved. But it's all done with a warm, humanist bend that at first seems forced. I saw an article on Ringer called "How on Earth is Ted Lasso' actually good?" I agree. The show just wore down my defenses almost instantly. Words like "goofy" and "sunny" are drawn to this series. But I think it's another great example of a strong genre of sitcom: "The In Their Own Universe" protagonist. There's a terrific book of television acting/writing called the Eight Characters of Comedy. Be it The Office, Parks and Recreation, New Girl, Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt, or Lawrence's own Scrubs, people tend to be drawn to series built around protagonists who largely live by a set of rules that is unknown to the rest of the world because fundamentally the series becomes will the world change this character or will the character change the world? Ted Lasso is a really strong example of one of those characters. He believes in teamwork, perseverance, hardworking, and just generally being a good person, but the key to the character is he is constantly underestimated by those around him. But he's also middle-aged. He's in the middle of a failing marriage but he is behaving generously, in contrast to Rebecca's scorn. But he's also just a very funny character whose range of knowledge is always a warm joke. He's unfailingly polite but completely honest about his intentions. They also make the crucial choice to decisively portray him as a good coach.

If I had to guess, I would say the show is about second chances. I recommend this to anyone who had a rough year. I'm not 100% sure we needed a scene of Ted putting up a sign that says "Believe" over the locker-room doorway in the first episode but it's well-worth giving it two or three episodes to see if its your cup of tea. Or whatever Ted would drink instead.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I'll just echo that. I thought the series itself was very well done, but Mescal and Edgar-Jones were just excellent. I cannot wait to see what he does next.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote: Glad to see Paul Mescal get nominated for Normal People, though. One of the best performances I've seen on TV or film in quite awhile.
A long stay at my parents' gave me access to Hulu and watching this series, and I strongly second this. I liked much of the series in general, and thought his co-star was also praiseworthy...but he just knocked me out. I feel like Montgomery Clift is maybe the best precedent for the quality he brought to the part -- a persona that could be sincere and evasive in the same breath. A truly hilarious moment comes when he says, It's obvious I don't want you to leave, and she replies, Nothing's ever obvious with you. His fumbling-with-articulation, inability to say exactly what he means even when it's oozing out of him, is really special. He's got a wonderfully droll delivery throughout -- and then he's able to drop all that in the truly painful depression episode. I've seen a massive number of crying-in-the-shrink's-office scenes over the years, but this one resembles none of them -- or, maybe better, it goes deeper into the pain involved than any prior.

It may be that part of me just relates to the guy -- not in every respect (no athlete, I), but in enough Irish-guy-with-literary-aspirations ways that I felt I knew this guy from the inside. But I suspect it's more that he's just a rare talent. He's virtually new to screen acting, and I'll be fascinated to see what he does next.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Ludwig Göransson won Outstanding Music Composition for a Series for his work on The Mandalorian. At 36, he only needs one Tony to be an EGOT winner.

He had already surprised me when in the same year he won the Oscar and the Grammy (in main categories: Record and Song of the Year), but for different works. I don't know if it had happened before, I think not ...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

Sabin wrote:In 1978, All in the Family won Best Comedy Series, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Writing, and Directing, but missed out on Sally Struthers for Supporting Actress. Is that the closest?
Oddly enough, I recall All in the Family's sweep except for Sally Struthers.

SO GLAD to see Schitt's Creek receiving its overdue accolades.

Though I'm slightly miffed Helena Bonham Carter lost.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I have a lot of catching up to do. I've only sampled most of the contenders, haven't completely watched any of the winning shows but happy for the winners.

As for the show, it did some things well, others not so well.

All the acceptance speeches were nicely handled. The filmed bits and the Russian postal worker were fine but the on-stage presenters were given typical silly patter to mouth. Jimmy Kimmel opening all the on-stage envelopes himself would have worked better. The In Memoriam segment was poorly done with the camera paying more attention to the singer than the all-too quick parade of the deceased.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Mister Tee wrote:The Emmys used to be a lot more fun when they had various Blue Ribbon Panels choosing winners, so sweeps were rare.
The thing about blue ribbon panels was that the members who have time to do them are of course mostly old, mostly retired and their taste tends to show, leading to various repeat winners and traditional shows winning over more daring, original programming. But on the other hand, this system also has led to deserving upsets winning from time to time which is getting rare at this day and age.

As for the Emmys themselves, I actually enjoyed the show. They managed to make it feel as Emmy-like as possible. It was also quite tasteful given the circumstances and also much of the comedy was actually pretty good (NoHo Hank/Anthony Carrigan showing up as a postal worker is the funniest bit.)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

In 1978, All in the Family won Best Comedy Series, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Writing, and Directing, but missed out on Sally Struthers for Supporting Actress. Is that the closest?
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

And that's it. Schitt's Creek won seven. Watchmen and Succession's nights seemed mild by comparison taking in four, even though it equals Fleabag's "sweep" last year.

To me, Schitt's Creek's wins signals a desire for comfort food on the part of the Academy. The Good Place was going off the air, Insecure is apparently hitting its stride, and Ramy is new to the table, but it looks like Schitt's Creek just filled them up. Not to read too much into it, I wonder if it's indicative of the state of exhaustion we're all feeling and the desire to just feel simply good.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Emmys used to be a lot more fun when they had various Blue Ribbon Panels choosing winners, so sweeps were rare. Now, they've become routine. (Oddly, in just about the time-frame where the Oscars have gone the opposite direction.)

I haven't seen a lot of this stuff (except Schitt's Creek), so I have no idea how deserving or un- these are. For some reason, last year I managed to see many of the nominees/winners, but they keep adding new channels (like Hulu, AppleTV) and once again many are unavailable to me. (I've also lost HBO for the time being because I have a Roku TV, and the two can't come to an agreement -- yet another sign this is not the world in which I grew up.)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Never mind. Upset of the night: Zendaya.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
Probably based on Watchmen having three nominations in the category, with no obvious choice for fans of the show to settle on. (Kind of like Edmond O'Brien winning the Oscar over three On the Waterfront actors.)
I think the Hooded Justice episode was the consensus choice for best directed hour of television of the year considering it's basically an extended oner. But you're probably right that had something to do with it. Either way, four Emmys is a big deal and only seems like a disappointment after Schitt's Creek.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Sabin wrote:I think it's safe to say Damon Lindelof has restored his name.
I mean, I never stopped loving Lost, but The Leftovers remains quite the critically loved show. Unless I'm missing something else.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:Maria Schrader winning Outstanding Directing for Unorthodox over Watchmen has to be the upset of the night so far.
Probably based on Watchmen having three nominations in the category, with no obvious choice for fans of the show to settle on. (Kind of like Edmond O'Brien winning the Oscar over three On the Waterfront actors.)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Maria Schrader winning Outstanding Directing for Unorthodox over Watchmen has to be the upset of the night so far.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Broadcast Media”