R.I.P. John Prine

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. John Prine

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:I'm not liking this pattern I'm seeing. Prine's wife Fiona hinted that he was getting better. Similarly, Adam Schlesinger's family said his condition was improving a couple of days before he died. This is a scary, unpredictable disease.
I was told the same about Mark Blum by a friend, 48 hours before he died. The bald fact seems to be that 80% of people who get put on ventilators don't survive, no matter how well they appear to be doing.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I saw this one coming but it still hurts.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm not liking this pattern I'm seeing. Prine's wife Fiona hinted that he was getting better. Similarly, Adam Schlesinger's family said his condition was improving a couple of days before he died. This is a scary, unpredictable disease.

Here's the last song on John Prine's final album, about what he wishes heaven were like. And if that sounds maudlin, you don't know what a sly old coot Prine could be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0EiV42 ... 4&index=10
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. John Prine

Post by Mister Tee »

I've had a week to prepare for this, since he went on a ventilator, but still it cuts deep. He was a huge part of my college years -- every would-be folkie did his stuff, and even Bette Midler covered Hello in There on her second album.

He has an extensive musicography, from the plaintive Angel from Montgomery to the rousing Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore. I always particularly loved Sam Stone, about a heroin addict, with the perfectly poetic line "There's a hole in Daddy's arm where all the money goes".

There's going to be more of this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/arts ... -dead.html

Return to “Broadcast Media”