2020 Grammy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
mlrg
Associate

Re: 2020 Grammy Awards

Post by mlrg »

My thirteen year old daughter is completely obsessed with Billie Eilish music. I gave it a try and found the music very interesting.

My daughter says that Eilish is overrated by teenagers and underrated by “grown ups”.

She’s coming to Portugal for a concert next July and we’ve just bought tickets. I’m curious to see how her music works in a live concert.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I watch the Grammys about the way I follow pop music these days: as total dilettante who only knows the most famous stuff. I DVR-ed the show, and watched the artist/songs I knew -- Lizzo, Billie Eilish, and god knows Old Town Road. My only real familiarity with Eilish was her big hit, which has a hook for the ages. But I have to say I really liked the song she performed last night.

Odd thing about the Grammys in general: back in the day, the prizes used to be scattered all about -- it wasn't odd for something/someone who'd won nothing at all to suddenly grab Record off the Year (I remember This Masquerade pulling that off). But now, the centrifugal force of one artist seems to snatch up everything (the way Adele always does, and Eilish, to her seeming chagrin, did last night). The Emmys have changed in the same way: a Fleabag sweep like we saw this year would never have happened ten years ago. It's funny that these trends have emerged just as the Oscars -- the originator of the sweep mentality -- have moved decisively in the other direction.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"And the Grammys for Best Album, Record and Song of the year go to...."

(Opens envelope, reads paper, then looks up.)

"....duh."
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

SUCH a reach. All I can say is I will probably not watch them, despite Alicia Keys hosting again.
- They keep trying to make H.E.R. happen but Grammy time is literally the only time of the year I ever hear anything about her. What dirt does she have on who for these nominations to keep rolling in?
- I haven't listened to Lizzo or know much about her beyond her social media controversy, so I guess good on her for getting 8 nods? Glad her three-year old song picked up enough steam to get to #1, but I have not heard it and I'm not clamoring to.
- Hurray for Lil Nas X's Record of the Year nomination, boo to his Album of the Year nomination for the slight 7 EP, and boo to no Song of the Year nod (giving Trent Reznor a shot at one of the prestige awards).
- Indie rock looks to be totally mainstream rock now: major nods for Bon Iver and Vampire Weekend, and Lana Del Rey breaks through (actually, maybe I will watch to see how they say Norman Fucking Rockwell! on air). Vampire Weekend's album is not very good though.
- Billie Eilish is the youngest nominee for the big 4 categories and would be the youngest to win AOTY. She would be my personal pick from a weak slate of albums.
- Ariana's superior Sweetener was a notorious snub last year, so let's overcompensate for the quick turnaround of thank u, next.
- Happy to see Big Thief nominated in Alternative Album, as well as nominations for Thom Yorke, James Blake, Burna Boy and Tool. Otherwise a pretty pedestrian list, with nothing special promised for the show.
anonymous1980
Laureate

2020 Grammy Awards

Post by anonymous1980 »

Return to “Broadcast Media”