2019 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: 2019 Emmy Awards

Post by anonymous1980 »

Creative Arts Emmys were given out over two nights.

- Game of Thrones won 10 awards. It only needs to win at least 3 to break the record of most wins of a series in a single season.

- Bradley Whitford, Cherry Jones, Luke Kirby and Jane Lynch all won their respective Guest Actor and Actress categories for The Handmaid's Tale and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

- James Corden inexplicably once again wins the Outstanding Variety Special (Pre-Recorded) Emmy over both Nanette (which at least won Writing) and Beyonce's superb concert film, Homecoming: A Film by Beyonce (which won nothing).
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

I, too, loooooovvveee Schitt's Creek & came to this board during Oscar's off-season to say I'm overjoyed it scored nominations this week. Lo and behold, TWO board members have already posted expressing the same sentiment. CHEERS!!!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
Schitt's Creek is a great show and really comes into its own in seasons 3 and 4. If you stopped after 1, Sabin, then you owe it to yourself to continue. It's a groundbreaking show filled with wonderful talent and that proposal episode was swoon-worthy. Dan Levy should have been nominated, especially for his brilliant writing.
I've heard that the show has been praised for the handling of Dan Levy's character. Everyone on the show is quite good. I also like that one of the shows nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series is an actual sitcom. But the plots are quite thin. Nothing ever boils over beyond the point of mild squabble. At least in season one.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Schitt's Creek is a great show and really comes into its own in seasons 3 and 4. If you stopped after 1, Sabin, then you owe it to yourself to continue. It's a groundbreaking show filled with wonderful talent and that proposal episode was swoon-worthy. Dan Levy should have been nominated, especially for his brilliant writing.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I actually looked through the whole list, and came away with the only sane response: that the number of awards renders the whole thing utterly random. One thing you can say for the Oscars, whatever idiotic things they've done and continued to do, keeping the categories limited makes the prize more meaningful.

I guess I'm the opposite of Sabin, in that I give almost no attention to the comedy side -- though I did watch and deeply enjoy the first season of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and will try and watch the second season, plus two years of Barry, before the presentations. And maybe Schitt's Creek, because Levy/O'Hara are long-time enthusiasms from SCTV days.

I do best in the limited series group, having seen Chernobyl, Sharp Objects and Fosse/Verdon. Since I now have access to Netflix, HBOGo and Amazon, I expect to knock off at least a few more -- Ava's Central Park Five movie, and A Very English Scandal. Best actress in limited series seems hugely competitive.

In drama series, I've just started watching Bodyguard, which had a gripping first 20 minutes, though I'm not sure I like where it'll go. I assume Game of Thrones will win most everything as a send-off?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Lol, catch it while you can. Game of Thrones is listed as a Comedy on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/71st_Prim ... mmy_Awards

Highlights for me (as only a Comedy viewer):
* Major nominations for The Good Place (Series, Actor, Writing, Guest Star)
* A writing nomination for Pen15 -- a TRULY wonderful show.
* As a longtime Newsradio fan, I love that Stephen Root has a nomination for his career.
* Russian Doll was a show that I struggled with initially but it ultimately proved worth the journey. I am happy for Leslye Headland and Natasha Lyonne, although I am more happy from an overall career perspective.
* I'm more a fan that something like Schitt's Creek is on the air than Schitt's Creek itself. I've only seen season one but it strikes me as being honored for being comfort food that audiences have finally discovered, to which I would recommend Superstore instead. But it's clearly a labor of love so I'm happy for all involved.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

2019 Emmy Awards

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees have been announced.

Despite having a divisive season, the final season of Game of Thrones managed to get 32 Emmy nominations. Whoah. :shock: (I personally liked this season even if it wasn't the best and I love the show overall. This is insane though).

Return to “Broadcast Media”