2018 Emmys

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: 2018 Emmys

Post by dws1982 »

Bog wrote:
dws1982 wrote:Waterston's best episode ever was from a season where he got edged out for a nomination though.
Completely assuming here but I think maybe you and I are the biggest Law and Order fans here....Aftershock right?
I was actually thinking of "Under the Influence" from a couple of seasons later, which is kind of a sequel to "Aftershock". He got bumped out by Andre Braugher, who went on to win. Not an undeserved win, but I wish he had bumped Duchovny rather than Waterston.

I'm not a huge fan of "Aftershock" actually, although I do think Waterston's scenes work the best. So much of it just feels clunky in a way that the show doesn't when it's sticking to the case.

As for Lansbury, it's hard to think of a perfect time for her to win during the run of Murder She Wrote. I'm a big China Beach fan (it never gets enough credit for its influence on the modern drama) and honestly would've given Dana Delaney a win pretty much every season it was on. Ditto Kathy Baker for Picket Fences, although I'm not sure that it's aged as well as I would like. (Season four is bad by any standard, although I think seasons two and three are excellent.) Definitely would've preferred her to win over Mary-Louise Parker when she was nominated for The Blackwater Lightship, although I remember thinking Dianne Wiest and Gina McKee were much more impressive in that film.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Bog wrote:
dws1982 wrote:Waterston's best episode ever was from a season where he got edged out for a nomination though.
Completely assuming here but I think maybe you and I are the biggest Law and Order fans here....Aftershock right? You've almost completely made my point...Sam couldn't even crack the noms (Emmy nominated several times for L&O) in ironically the same year Lansbury received her final MSW actress nomination. She was nominated only (unfortunately) because the show was simply on the airwaves and (sadly) wasn't even being considered by the time Dana Delaney and Patricia Wettig went on multi-win runs, let alone Kathy Baker.

I think she should have won an Emmy for the record...and probably above all the non Cagney and Lacey winners. Emmys are gonna Emmy though...was there even anyone during her run that DIDN'T win at least twice? I don't think there was...and that is just the Emmy way.
I loved Picket Fences but Kathy Baker winning three Emmys was rather excessive.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

All the world may love a lover, but Broadwayites are fuming at Glenn Weiss who lectures Tony nominees every year about the length of their acceptance speeches and then takes 3 minutes on his own 14th Emmy win to propose to his girlfriend.

https://pagesix.com/2018/09/19/broadway ... 1497716898
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Completely assuming here but I think maybe you and I are the biggest Law and Order fans here....Aftershock right? You've almost completely made my point...Sam couldn't even crack the noms (Emmy nominated several times for L&O) in ironically the same year Lansbury received her final MSW actress nomination. She was nominated only (unfortunately) because the show was simply on the airwaves and (sadly) wasn't even being considered by the time Dana Delaney and Patricia Wettig went on multi-win runs, let alone Kathy Baker.

I think she should have won an Emmy for the record...and probably above all the non Cagney and Lacey winners. Emmys are gonna Emmy though...was there even anyone during her run that DIDN'T win at least twice? I don't think there was...and that is just the Emmy way.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:She also lost for her bravura guest performance on SVU. She lost her nom for Blackwater Lightship, her two nominations for hosting the Tony Awards and what undoubtedly should have won her an Emmy (if the SVU stint didn't), her Great Performances appearance on Sweeney Todd.

You can criticize the procedural that was Murder, She Wrote and perhaps she never had one of those outlandish, crying, dying, or birth-giving scenes that other actresses often won for, but her consistency and gravitas alone was enough to make those performances stand out.
Spot on!!
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Bog wrote:I just never thought anything screamed Emmy about her in a procedural type way any more than like a Sam Waterston never winning for Law and Order.
I feel like at its best, Law & Order did give its actors showcases that were at least on the level of what was winning Emmys at the time. Waterston's best episode ever was from a season where he got edged out for a nomination though.

Overall, I felt like many of the Drama awards were spot-on, although I can't think of any reason why Peter Dinklage or Game of Thrones in general should've won again. (I just don't get that show.) Would've gladly given Dinklage's award to Matt Smith, whose Prince Phillip was so much more interesting and complicated than I ever would've expected. Drama Series itself, I'm not sure; I haven't seen the current season of most of the nominees, but The Americans has been deserving in the past, and The Crown was good.

Can't really argue with a lot of the Movie/Miniseries awards either. I think Ryan Murphy products tend to be over-directed, and the episode he won for was no different, but The Assassination of Gianni Versace did have some really strong moments, especially the two middle episodes directed by Daniel Monacan--"House by the Lake" and "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". This show was going for a really big operatic/tragic tone, and even when it doesn't always get there, I think it was really good to see a TV series go this fearlessly out on a limb. I really wish that Finn Wittrock could've tied with Jeff Daniels for Supporting Actor; Wittrock's performance was so much more human than just a simple victim. (Same for the not-nominated Cody Fern as another victim.) Really excellent work. Glad that Darren Criss--who had no resonance for me from Glee--won as well. It was a major creation of a character who could've been played a lot more simply and still been interesting.

Haven't seen any of the Comedy Series winners, although I've been meaning to watch them for awhile. The Good Place is the only Comedy Series I watch on a regular basis right now (with Veep off the air right now).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

She also lost for her bravura guest performance on SVU. She lost her nom for Blackwater Lightship, her two nominations for hosting the Tony Awards and what undoubtedly should have won her an Emmy (if the SVU stint didn't), her Great Performances appearance on Sweeney Todd.

You can criticize the procedural that was Murder, She Wrote and perhaps she never had one of those outlandish, crying, dying, or birth-giving scenes that other actresses often won for, but her consistency and gravitas alone was enough to make those performances stand out.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I probably should have mentioned it either way...for fear of (gasp) persecution...I absolutely did not forget her. I have watched a very large amount of Murder, She Wrote and enjoyed it, also thinking Lansbury was quite good and made the show. I just never thought anything screamed Emmy about her in a procedural type way any more than like a Sam Waterston never winning for Law and Order.

Many actors in Emmy history got nommed for the life of the series in just a shear Emmy apathy momentum type way and when they don't win and the show lasted years they make a list like this...Lansbury will unlikely ever be topped...but of the 4 I listed I could rattle off Emmy episode after Emmy episode...in my personal opinion.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Betty White was not nominated for an Emmy until 1951.

The longest lived 1949 nominee was Patricia Morrison who died less than four months ago at the age of 103 and they didn't even include her in their in their In Memoriam segment. A classier move than dragging out Betty White for the umpteenth time would have been to do a tribute to Morrison at the beginning of the In Memoriam segment.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Don't forget Angela Lansbury's unparalleled losing streak. Even Susan Lucci picked up an Emmy after a long drought.

Was I the only one who thought Betty White sounded like she was having trouble staying focused. I felt really bad for it as it felt like they tried to trot her out for ratings, but felt like they were abusing her. Then again, is there anyone else who might have been at or around during the first Emmys?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

The Americans goes dark...and still no Emmy for Keri Russell! A crime with almost no rival...somewhere in the realm of High Laurie, Jason Alexander, Steve Carell, and Jane Kaczmarek. I know Claire Foy was also up against the clock...but damn Keri Russell.

The proposal was excellent!

Bryan Cranston being a good sport was funny...maybe it was the other way around...but either way.

Thandie Newton was hilarious...and genuinely, probably rightly shocked

Amy Sherman-Palladino candid shot walking off stage for writing with her Emmy...hearing thr announcement director was next and turning to a trot...so complacent yet honest...and she almost started running right as I turned to my wife and said she better damn hustle...this is gonna be a sweep

In fact, many speeches had some damn good one liners that may have outdone scripted host jokes:
- Dinklage joking now I'm noticed on the street
- aforementioned Newton with thanking God she doesn't even believe in...call back to Che
- Mulaney's working wife not taking time off to fly across country to watch him lose...also a surprise win
- Matthew Rhys telling Keri she is who got him this award...and her telling him if he proposed she'd punch him clean in the mouth
- (personal fave) the Fonz telling his now very adult children they can go to bed...daddy won..unchanged from 1975
- Hannah Gatsby
- Betty White (mis)speaking about way Lorne has done with her...ahem for her...what a woman!

Overall a pretty damn botched show...with some really game winners and presenters to entertain us between the boredom and swings and misses.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:No problem with any of the winners, but what an insufferably boring show - may be the last time I watch the Emmys ever.
The proposal was pretty awesome. I live for that kind of moments in awards shows.
That was the only thing and it was given by the director of THE OSCARS!!!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:No problem with any of the winners, but what an insufferably boring show - may be the last time I watch the Emmys ever.
The proposal was pretty awesome. I live for that kind of moments in awards shows.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

No problem with any of the winners, but what an insufferably boring show - may be the last time I watch the Emmys ever.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I did not do too well this year. Anyway, here are the actual winners:

Best Comedy: “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Amazon)

Best Drama:“Game of Thrones” (HBO)

Best Limited Series: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” (FX)

Best Actress, Comedy: Rachel Brosnahan, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

Best Actor, Comedy: Bill Hader, “Barry”

Best Actress, Drama: Claire Foy, “The Crown”

Best Actor, Drama: Matthew Rhys, “The Americans”

Supporting Actress, Drama: Thandie Newton, “Westworld”

Supporting Actor, Drama: Peter Dinklage, “Game of Thrones”

Supporting Actress, Comedy: Alex Borstein, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

Supporting Actor, Comedy: Henry Winkler, “Barry”

Best Actress, Limited Series or TV Movie: Regina King, “Seven Seconds”

Best Actor, Limited Series or TV Movie: Darren Criss, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”

Supporting Actress, Limited Series or a Movie: Merritt Wever, “Godless”

Supporting Actor, Limited Series or Movie: Jeff Daniels, “Godless”

Variety Sketch Series: “Saturday Night Live” (NBC)

Variety Talk Series: “Last Week Tonight With John Oliver”(HBO)

Reality Competition Program: “RuPaul’s Drag Race” (VH1)

Writing for a Comedy Series: Amy Sherman-Palladino, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (“Pilot”)

Writing for a Drama Series: Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg, “The Americans” (“Start”)

Writing for a Limited Series, Movie or Drama: William Bridges and Charlie Brooker, “Black Mirror: USS Callister”

Directing for a Comedy Series: Amy Sherman-Palladino, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (“Pilot”)

Directing for a Drama Series: Stephen Daldry, “The Crown” (“Paterfamilias”)

Directing for a Limited Series: Ryan Murphy, “The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” (“The Man Who Would Be Vogue”)

Writing for a Variety Special: John Mulaney, “John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous At Radio City” (Netflix)

Directing for a Variety Special: Glenn Weiss, “The Oscars” (ABC)

*Television Movie: “Black Mirror: USS Callister” (Netflix)

*Directing for a Variety Series: Don Roy King, “Saturday Night Live” (Host: Donald Glover)

*Reality Host: RuPaul, “RuPaul’s Drag Race”

*Structured Reality Program: “Queer Eye” (Netflix)

*Unstructured Reality Program: “United Shades Of America With W. Kamau Bell” (CNN)

*Guest Actress, Drama: Samira Wiley, “The Handmaid’s Tale”

*Guest Actor, Drama: Ron Cephas Jones, “This Is Us”

*Guest Actress, Comedy: Tiffany Haddish, “Saturday Night Live”

*Guest Actor, Comedy: Katt Williams, “Atlanta”

*Documentary or Nonfiction Series: “Wild Wild Country” (Netflix)

*Animated Program: “Rick And Morty” (Adult Swim)

Return to “Broadcast Media”