2015-2016 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: 2015-2016 Emmy Awards

Post by Mister Tee »

Apropos what BJ wrote a few weeks ago, about the difference between following films at this point vis a vis television: this list makes me realize that many people (including here) watch waywayway more TV than I do. Some of these nominees I wouldn't even know where to find, even if I were inclined to put in the hours.

So, I approach this like a full-on dilettante: applauding the few things I watch -- the OJ people (Gooding excluded), Jonathan Banks, yesyes Olivia Colman -- and lamenting omissions: Samantha Bee's show, for me, is light years better than anything except John Oliver, and, my god, Show Me a Hero totally blanked? Do the Emmys have an animus toward David Simon? The Wire is now spoken of in legendary terms, but was all but ignored in its day, as well.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

flipp525 wrote:And I wish one of those nominations could go to Keri Russell for some of the best work of her career.
Amazing news...she sure looks like the winner to me as well...with series and Rhys in tow. As far as cable goes Russell must be seen as >> Maslany. Danes is, as we figured, a placeholder also-ran. Wright did have a strong year with her entire own storyline with Burstyn and whatnot...but it seems they'd have done that in season 1 if they really wanted to give her an Emmy, and with 5 seasons worth of hardcore acting Russell has given just now being noticed she seems like the insider's favorite in my eyes. Sasha et al will scream for big audience network stars Henson and Davis (among other reasons), but they can't be seen as favorites to the academy...more the kind of award from your peers type SAG winners.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

In reverse

a) I find Master of None to be appealing. I definitely get where you're coming from - the conflict itself is basically negligible, but even that appeals to me. I found the chemistry between the two leads charming and I won't lie, identity politics goes a long way with me right now.

b) You know, I don't think they have kissed. I agree with your comment about the beginning portion of this season not having much of a through-line, but it didn't bug me too much.

c) I'm the guy that gave up on Mad Men, so don't mind me.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Okri wroteOh, I really loved You're the Worst. The last half of the second season, in particular, features so many really sublime moments ("You said something pretty dark") and both performers absolutely nail their roles.
I want to ask you something, Okri. Have we ever seen them kiss? My memory might be faulty but I don't immediately remember.

Season one is about two people who fuck and accidentally end up in a relationship. Season two is about how you accidentally negotiate your way into love, which involves recognizing each others' baggage and oftentimes misunderstanding it. My only complaint about season two for the first few episodes was that I didn't think it had a through-line, until Gretchen's depression reared its head. Aya Cash deserves an Emmy for finding ways to be hilarious even when her character is so depressed she can barely get out of bed.
Okri wroteI'm curious about where you're coming from re Mr. Robot, because I think it easily dwarfs Breaking Bad, but what got me was the sheer propulsion of the story telling. It's a show about a world-changing event that actually feels like it understands the events it's engaging in (compare that to any Aaron Sorkin story and see the difference).
Different strokes, dude. If you think it's better than Breaking Bad and The Social Network, well, I'm sure you're not alone.

As for Master of None, yes, I like its identity politics, world, voice, and actors. I don't like the fact that there is barely any conflict. At least Louie bisects its narrative to get around that when it needs. Master of None would benefit from that. And nice guy Aziz is super dull.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Oh, I really loved You're the Worst. The last half of the second season, in particular, features so many really sublime moments ("You said something pretty dark") and both performers absolutely nail their roles.

I'm curious about where you're coming from re Mr. Robot, because I think it easily dwarfs Breaking Bad, but what got me was the sheer propulsion of the story telling. It's a show about a world-changing event that actually feels like it understands the events it's engaging in (compare that to any Aaron Sorkin story and see the difference).
I enjoyed its identity politics, world, voice, and actors, but those are about the only things that make it different from any other massively low-stakes show about a struggling actor and his dating life.
Heh. Yeah, that's nothing...

The Americans is probably my favourite show on television, fwiw.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Okri wrote
1. Mr. Robot is a finer piece of art than anything David Fincher has ever done.
Respectfully disagree. That being said, I like Mr. Robot. My favorite thing about it is that it is an impressively mounted television event that attempts to grapple with large issues. However, it's Rami Malek that keeps it from feeling as insufferably self-important as it actually is. As I watch it, all I see are transparent attempts at Breaking Bad-style big moments and the Syd Field/Save the Cat handbook. But I wouldn't be adverse to a win because it is fairly entertaining stuff and I do like what it's grappling with. But I haven't seen The Americans past the pilot -- and I won't, but it was awesome.
Okri wrote
4. I liked Casual and Master of None.
Americans have always been self-absorbed with their own culture, but it feels like we're hitting a zeitgeist renewal at the moment. Both of these shows reflect that. I like them both but I prefer You're the Worst and Man Seeking Woman which respectfully tackle the same issues.

I was really put off by Casual at the start of it, and was just hoping that there was a piano out there that could fall on Tommy Dewey. But there's something genuine at the core that I warmed to as it went along.

Master of None feels like the future of TV comedy because it's basically a sitcom crossed with a Buzzfeed article. I enjoyed its identity politics, world, voice, and actors, but those are about the only things that make it different from any other massively low-stakes show about a struggling actor and his dating life.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

1. Mr. Robot is a finer piece of art than anything David Fincher has ever done.

2. Martindale, while solid as always, would be the least deserving of the Americans to get nominated. Heck, I think Mahendru did better work than she this season (though flipp is absolutely correct, Wright and Russell are the ones that should be singled out).

3. Best Actress in a drama is a barnburner.

4. I liked Casual and Master of None.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

flipp525 wrote: And I wish one of those annoying placeholder nominations for Claire Danes or Juliiana Marguiles could go to...
Emmy does seem to excel in this exact practice for some reason...though I suppose we could debate forever if one would rather be nominated regularly as a placeholder and lose than not be nominated at all.

Just in the past 25 years (there are probably many others) Goodman, Alexander, Kaczmarek, Laurie, Carell, and Jon Hamm combined I think for 0/51 despite being nommed basically every eligible year for given show/performance. Caveats Hamm finally winning several months ago and Goodman removing himself from contention for the end of the Roseanne run.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Margo Martindale, The Americans (FX)
As much as I love Martindale, she had less than five minutes of screen time this entire season. Alison Wright, who brilliantly played Martha Hanson in what could be her final season, is one of the show's most deserving performers. I've seen articles advocating for her nomination this year. And I wish one of those annoying placeholder nominations for Claire Danes or Julianna Marguiles could go to Keri Russell for some of the best work of her career.
Last edited by flipp525 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sabin wrote:Kathryn Hahn seems destined to be one of those incredible actors who never wins anything, every moment she's on-screen she cuts through the crippling self-absorption of the Pfefferman clan. I feel the same way about Judith Light on the show as well.
This...a thousand times this...

I do admire Transparent more than you it seems...but I do find it great and disappointing at the same time the latter will likely be the front-runner for the actual Emmy while the former is a total afterthought in the entire process.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Scattered thoughts...

I forced myself to give up TV Dramas this year. Binge watching them is just too dangerous for my schedule. I tried watching Mr. Robot and I think David Fincer really has a solid lawsuit on his hands.

My favorite shows last year were Man Seeking Woman, Scrotal Recall, and You're the Worst. Scrotal Recall is a BBC pickup by Netflix that is possibly the loveliest rom com sitcoms. Man Seeking Woman is a sublime farce. And You're the Worst had a transformative year and went to incredibly unexpected depths with Aya Cash's Gretchen. Best Actress in a Comedy is going to be an embarrassment of riches this year, but she would be my choice but Rachel Bloom for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (another wonderful show), Michaela Watkins for Casual (not remotely wonderful that she outclasses), and Ellie Kemper for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (crazy to think she wasn't nominated last year). Master of None gets an A+ in identity politics and a B in execution. There wasn't an episode I didn't enjoy but wish was...y'know, funny. I'd love to see Aziz Ansari win Best Actor but Dev pales in comparison to Tom Haverford as a character IMO. I'm a huge Silicon Valley fan. It will likely be my choice for Best Comedy Series (again), and I can get down with the brilliant Thomas Middleditch for Best Actor, but Gael Garcia Bernal would make me happy as well. For Best Supporting Actor, Tituss Burgess is probably a lock and I'm more than fine with that, although the entire male casts of Silicon Valley and Veep or Louie Anderson for Baskets are worthy. I don't have a strong favorite for Best Supporting Actress. Kathryn Hahn seems destined to be one of those incredible actors who never wins anything, and while for the life of me I just cannot enjoy Transparent as much as I want to, but every moment she's on-screen she cuts through the crippling self-absorption of the Pfefferman clan. I feel the same way about Judith Light on the show as well.

My biggest hope is something we're not likely to see. I want to see Christian Sprenger nominated for Best Cinematography for either Baskets or Last Man on Earth. He's a classmate of mine and one of the finest cinematographers I've had the pleasure of working with.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My first and last attempt at predicting the Emmys:

OUTSTANDING LIMITED SERIES
American Crime (ABC)
American Horror Story: Hotel (FX)
Fargo (FX)
The People vs. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story (Fox)
Roots (The History Channel)
Show Me a Hero (HBO)

OUTSTANDING MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
All The Way (HBO)
Confirmation (HBO)
The Dresser (Starz)
Luther (BBC America)
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride (Masterpiece) (PBS)
Wallander: A Troubled Man (Masterpiece) (PBS)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Bryan Cranston, All The Way (HBO)
Richard Dreyfuss, Madoff (ABC)
Anthony Hopkins, The Dresser (Starz)
Oscar Isaac, Show Me a Hero (HBO)
Ian McKellen, The Dresser (Starz)
Patrick Wilson, Fargo (FX)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Kirsten Dunst, Fargo (FX)
Felicity Huffman, American Crime (ABC)
Audra McDonald, Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill (HBO)
Sarah Paulson, The People vs. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story (Fox)
Lily Taylor, American Crime (ABC)
Kerry Washington, Confirmation (HBO)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Sterling K. Brown, The People vs. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story (Fox)
Hugh Laurie, The Night Manager (AMC)
Anthony Mackie, All The Way (HBO)
Jesse Plemons, Fargo (FX)
John Travolta, The People vs. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story (Fox)
Forest Whitaker, Roots (The History Channel)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Kathy Bates, American Horror Story: Hotel (FX)
Catherine Keener, Show Me a Hero (HBO)
Regina King, American Crime (ABC)
Melissa Leo, All The Way (HBO)
Sarah Paulson, American Horror Story: Hotel (FX)
Jean Smart, Fargo (FX)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Jay Roach, All The Way (ABC)
Rick Famuyiwa, Confirmation (HBO)
Noah Hawley, Fargo ("Before the Law") (FX)
Keith Gordon, Fargo ("Loplop") (FX)
Susanne Bier, The Night Manager (AMC)
Paul Haggis, Show Me a Hero (HBO)

OUTSTANDING WRITING IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Robert Schenkkan, All The Way (HBO)
John Ridley, American Crime ("Episode 7") (ABC)
Noah Hawley, Fargo ("Palindrome") (FX)
Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, The People vs. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story ("From the Ashes of Tragedy") (Fox)
David Simon and William F. Zorzi, Show Me a Hero (HBO)
Ricky Gervais, Special Correspondents (Netflix)

---

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
The Americans (FX)
Better Call Saul (AMC)
Downton Abbey (PBS)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
House of Cards (Netflix)
Mr. Robot (USA)
Orange is the New Black (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Kyle Chandler, Bloodline (Netflix)
Paul Giamatti, Billions (Showtime)
Freddie Highmore, Bates Motel (A&E)
Rami Malek, Mr. Robot (USA)
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul (AMC)
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Claire Danes, Homeland (Showtime)
Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder (ABC)
Taraji P. Henson, Empire (Fox)
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife (CBS)
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black (BBC America)
Robin Wright, House of Cards (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul (AMC)
Jim Carter, Downton Abbey (PBS)
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones (HBO)
Kit Harington, Game of Thrones (HBO)
Michael Kelly, House of Cards (Netflix)
Christian Slater, Mr. Robot (USA)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Uzo Aduba, Orange is the New Black (Netflix)
Christine Baranski, The Good Wife (CBS)
Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones (HBO)
Lena Headey, Game of Thrones (HBO)
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey (PBS)
Sissy Spacek, Bloodline (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING IN A DRAMA SERIES
Chris Long, The Americans ("Persona Non Grata") (FX)
Michael Engler, Downton Abbey ("Part Nine") (PBS)
Jack Bender, Game of Thrones ("The Door") (HBO)
Miguel Sapochnik, Game of Thrones ("Battle of the Bastards") (HBO)
Louis CK, Horace and Pete ("Episode 110") (LouisCK.net)
Sam Esmail, Mr. Robot ("Pilot") (USA)

OUTSTANDING WRITING IN A DRAMA SERIES
Joel Fields and Joel Weisberg, The Americans ("Persona Non Grata") (FX)
Peter Gould, Better Call Saul ("Nailed") (AMC)
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, Game of Thrones ("Battle of the Bastards") (HBO)
Louis CK, Horace and Pete ("Episode 103") (LouisCK.net)
Tian Jun Gu, House of Cards ("Chapter 50") (Netflix)
Sam Esmail, Mr. Robot ("Pilot") (USA)

OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Beau Bridges, Bloodline (Netflix)
Reg E. Cathey, House of Cards (Netflix)
Michael J. Fox, The Good Wife (CBS)
Denis O'Hare, The Good Wife (CBS)
Max Von Sydow, Game of Thrones (HBO)
BD Wong, Mr. Robot (USA)

OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Ellen Burstyn, House of Cards (Netflix)
Allison Janney, Masters of Sex (Showtime)
Margo Martindale, The Americans (FX)
Carrie Preston, The Good Wife (CBS)
Sarah Silverman, Masters of Sex (Showtime)
Cicely Tyson, How to Get Away with Murder (ABC)

---

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES
Black-ish (ABC)
Master of None (Netflix)
Modern Family (ABC)
Silicon Valley (HBO)
Transparent (Amazon)
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
Veep (HBO)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Anthony Anderson, Black-ish (ABC)
Aziz Ansari, Master of None (Netflix)
Bruce Campbell, Ash vs. Evil Dead (Starz)
Don Cheadle, House of Lies (Showtime)
Will Forte, The Last Man on Earth (Fox)
Jeffrey Tambor, Transparent (Amazon)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Anna Faris, Mom (CBS)
Jane Fonda, Grace and Frankie (Netflix)
Ellie Kemper, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (HBO)
Amy Schumer, Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central)
Lily Tomlin, Grace and Frankie (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Louie Anderson, Baskets (FX)
Andre Braugher, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox)
Titus Burgess, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
Ty Burrell, Modern Family (ABC)
Tony Hale, Veep (HBO)
Hugh Laurie, Veep (HBO)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Mayim Bialik, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Julie Bowen, Modern Family (ABC)
Anna Chlumsky, Veep (HBO)
Allison Janney, Mom (CBS)
Jane Krakowski, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live (NBC)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING IN A COMEDY SERIES
Jim Hensz, Modern Family ("Crazy Train") (ABC)
Todd Holland, The Real O'Neals ("Pilot") (ABC)
Alec Berg, Silicon Valley ("Daily Active Users") (HBO)
Mike Judge, Silicon Valley ("Founder Friendly") (HBO)
Jill Soloway, Transparent ("Man on the Land") (Amazon)
Chris Addison, Veep ("Morning After") (HBO)

OUTSTANDING WRITING IN A COMEDY SERIES[/b]
Aziz Ansari and Alan Yang, Master of None ("Parents") (Netflix)
Casey Johnson, David Windsor, Joshua Sternin and Jennifer Ventimilia, The Real O'Neals ("Pilot") (ABC)
Dan O'Keefe, Silicon Valley ("Founder Friendly") (HBO)
Tina Fey and Sam Means, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt ("Kimmy Finds Her Mom!") (Netflix)
David Mandel, Veep ("Morning After") (HBO)
Alex Gregory and Peter Huyck, Veep ("Mother") (HBO)

OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Fred Armisen, Saturday Night Live (NBC)
Larry David, Saturday Night Live (NBC)
Sam Elliott, Grace and Frankie (Netflix)
Judd Hirsch, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Tracey Morgan, Saturday Night Live (NBC)
Bradley Whitford, Transparent (Amazon)

OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Christine Baranski, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Ellen Burstyn, Mom (CBS)
Anjelica Huston, Transparent (Amazon)
Lisa Kudrow, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
Laurie Metcalf, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Amy Schumer, Saturday Night Live (NBC)

---

OUTSTANDING VARIETY TALK SERIES
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Comedy Central)
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS)
Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (CBS)
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (NBC)

OUTSTANDING VARIETY SKETCH SERIES
Drunk History (Comedy Central)
Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central)
Key and Peele (Comedy Central)
Portlandia (IFC)
Saturday Night Live (NBC)
W/ Bob and David (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING VARIETY SPECIAL
Adele: Live in New York City (NBC)
Amy Schumer: Live at the Apollo (HBO)
The Kennedy Center Honors (CBS)
Lemonade (HBO)
Shining a Light: A Concert for Progress on Race in America (A&E)
Triumph's Election Special 2016 (Hulu)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A VARIETY SERIES
Phil Heyes, American Idol ("Episode 1524/25") (Fox)
Ryan McFaul, Inside Amy Schumer ("Madonna/Whore") (Comedy Central)
Jim Hoskinson, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (CBS)
Jonathan Krisel, Portlandia ("Going Grey") (IFC)
Don Roy King, Saturday Night Live ("Hosts: Tina Fey & Amy Poehler") (NBC)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A VARIETY SPECIAL
Beth McCarthy-Miller, Adele: Live in New York City (NBC)
Chris Rock, Amy Schumer: Live at the Apollo (HBO)
Louis J. Horvitz, The 58th Grammy Awards (CBS)
Thomas Kail and Alex Rudzinski, Grease: Live
Kahlil Joseph and Beyonce Knowles, Lemonade (HBO)
Kenny Leon and Matthew Diamond, The Wiz: Live (NBC)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A VARIETY SERIES
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS)
Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central)
Key and Peele (Comedy Central)
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (CBS)
Saturday Night Live (NBC)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A VARIETY SPECIAL
AFI Live Achievement Award: A Tribute to Steve Martin (TBS)
Amy Schumer: Live at the Apollo (HBO)
Must See: An All-Star Tribute to James Burrows (NBC)
The Oscars (ABC)
Triumph's Election Special 2016 (Hulu)

--

OUTSTANDING REALITY/COMPETITION SERIES
The Amazing Race (CBS)
Dancing with the Stars (ABC)
So You Think You Can Dance (Fox)
Project Runway (Lifetime)
Top Chef (Bravo)
The Voice (NBC)

OUTSTANDING HOST FOR A REALITY/REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM
Tom Bergeron, Dancing with the Stars (ABC)
RuPaul Charles, RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo)
Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can Dance (Fox)
Jane Lynch, Hollywood Game Night (NBC)
Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, Project Runway (Lifetime)
Ryan Seacrest, American Idol (Fox)
anonymous1980
Laureate

2015-2016 Emmy Awards

Post by anonymous1980 »

I will post my initial predictions shortly but first here are the official nominees ballots.

I love looking at these every year to see who or what gets submitted.

Return to “Broadcast Media”