2014-2015 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Okri
Tenured

Re: 2014-2015 Emmy Awards

Post by Okri »

Anna Chlumsky was brilliant in season four of Veep and was my personal MVP of that category.

I love that there's an actress named Uzo Aduba winning awards, honestly. And she's so genuine with her speeches and she was quite good during the second season, though that award belonged to Lorraine Toussaint who fucking devoured that screen.

I'll be the voice of Mad Men dissent and say that I couldn't get into the show and Hamm's performance in the first season was a big reason why. But without Matthew Rhys, Aden Young, Hugh Dancy/Madds Mikkleson (ineligible), I'm fine with his winning. Glad nothing else from the show won (though I agree, the writing win for GoT wasn't deserved - though if it was for "Hardhome" it would have been).
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:When the night began, it sure seemed like we were in for another round of default repeat winners -- Allison Janney most egregiously
Really? I am a big fan of Mom and think Janney has been consistently brilliant on that show (she was also the clear pick of this bloated category). Who should've won instead? Julie Bowen for the 800th time?

Uzo Aduba was the repeat I was dreading (even thought it was a "repeat" in a different category). That award unquestionably belonged to Christina Hendricks.

I think this was probably one of Jon Hamm's strongest seasons -- if we're counting the final season, both halves -- so I'm thrilled that he won for it. Very well-deserved and put a smile on my face. He got very Dick Whitman in that speech too citing all the names of people who he "made his family" along the way.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

I'm so sad for Elisabeth Moss and Christina Hendricks... Subtlety is not in fashion, definitely.

Considering Game of Thrones sweep, I still can't understand how Uzo Aduba managed to win in her category, after having won last year. Two wins in a row in switched categories seems utterly unfair for her competitors. Peter Dinklage's reaction when he won says it all.
I assumed Hendricks was not going to win once Weiner had lost both writing citations (what an outrage), so Headey would have made more sense.

Meditations in an Emergency, Love Among the Ruins, The Suitcase, The Other Woman, In Care Of, Person to Person.
Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency, The Summer Man, The Other Woman, A Tale of Two Cities, The Strategy, Lost Horizon.

I just needed to cite Moss' and Hendricks' submissions. It still hurts.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The good: The show came in exactly on time. The In Memoriam segment was handled properly without a mawkish introduction. I liked all the winners even if a couple of them were not my choices.

The bad: The jokes, almost of which fell flat.

The ugly: The misidentification of Viola Davis as an Oscar winner.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Had Jon Hamm lost his Emmy, I think I would still reserve more outrage for Amy Poehler lack of an Emmy for Parks and Recreation especially considering that when she was first nominated for the show she was up against Julia Louis-Dreyfus for The New Adventures of Old Christine. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is excellent in Veep, but I'm starting to believe more and more that performers should remove their name from further consideration after a certain point like Candice Bergen did after five wins for Murphy Brown.

There's no comparing Hamm to Poehler. Jon Hamm may be a delightful goofball in real life but he seemingly appeared from nowhere, all but pastless, just like Don Draper as Don Draper. Poehler wasn't just a known, she was a known that emerged post-SNL on the primetime scene as a Michael Scott knockoff. After the pilot of Parks and Recreation, I was sure I was watching a one season footnote in television history. But Poehler & co. believed in this show and pulled the most unexpectedly miraculous restructuring of a program out of their asses I've ever seen. When has announcing "Don't worry. Next season will be better. We're bringing Rob Lowe in!" ever boosted confidence? But they did and if Poehler's persisting optimism as Leslie Knope doesn't yield as many Emmy-worthy moments as Julia Louis-Dreyfus' frantic Selina Meyer, she deserved something. Like Jon Hamm, she just had to wait until a few other people were out of the way. Unlike Jon Hamm, that didn't happen.

The second biggest outrage for me was that Bill Murray wasn't there to pick up his Emmy. His second in almost forty years and his first as a sole winner. This was a ceremony with a lot of wins and speeches that mattered. One of the most wonderful ones never happened. That is a shame.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I'll cosign what Mister Tee wrote -- Jon Hamm FINALLY getting an Emmy for his sensational portrayal of what will undoubtedly go down as one of the most iconic television characters in the medium's history was the biggest cheer-worthy moment of the night. I wish Christina Hendricks could have gotten to make a speech too -- over the years, she found so many colors in her role even in episodes that didn't foreground her -- but at least Mad Men finally got one acting award to go along with its many other well-deserved Emmys over the years.

When the night began, it sure seemed like we were in for another round of default repeat winners -- Allison Janney most egregiously, but also Tony Hale and Julia Luis-Dreyfus, however deserving they might be. But there were enough shake-ups in major ways by new series (Transparent, How to Get Away With Murder) and returning ones that prevailed in much bigger ways (Veep, Game of Thrones) to make the night feel like a lot more than just same old, same old (even if most of those wins were fairly widely predicted).

Hollywood's been getting a lot of flack lately for diversity issues lately, so it's worth noting that tonight managed to honor a good number of actors of color (Davis, Aduba, King, Reg E. Cathy last week), and female directors (Soloway, Cholodenko), in addition to last week's TV Movie prize to Bessie (which showcased both).

And Amy Schumer continues to rack up points in her campaign for Entertainer of the Year.

Did anyone notice that the telecast mistakenly referred to Viola Davis as an Oscar winner?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:Jon Hamm has a long-deserved Emmy.

Other good things happened tonight, and perhaps I'll write about them tomorrow. But: Jon Hamm has an Emmy. Nothing else matters as much.
:) :)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Jon Hamm has a long-deserved Emmy.

Other good things happened tonight, and perhaps I'll write about them tomorrow. But: Jon Hamm has an Emmy. Nothing else matters as much.
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

Just thought I'd post my should wins for this year's Emmys before the ceremony.

Best Drama Series: Mad Men
Best Comedy Series: Parks and Recreation
Best Lead Actor in a Drama: Jon Hamm
Best Lead Actress in a Drama: Taraji P. Henson or Viola Davis
Best Lead Actor in a Comedy: Jeffrey Tambor
Best Lead Actress in a Comedy: Amy Poehler
Best Supporting Actor in a Drama: Jonathan Banks
Best Supporting Actress in a Drama: Christina Hendricks or Lena Headey
Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy: Andre Braugher or Tituss Burgess
Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy: Anna Chlumsky
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Final predictions:

OUTSTANDING LIMITED SERIES
Olive Kitteridge (HBO)

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
Game of Thrones (HBO)

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES
Veep (HBO)

OUTSTANDING VARIETY TALK SERIES
The Late Show with David Letterman (CBS)

OUTSTANDING VARIETY SKETCH SERIES
Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central)

OUTSTANDING REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM
Top Chef (Bravo)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Richard Jenkins, Olive Kitteridge (HBO)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Frances McDormand, Olive Kitteridge (HBO)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Jon Hamm, Mad Men (AMC)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder (ABC)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Jeffrey Tambor, Transparent (Amazon)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation (NBC)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Bill Murray, Olive Kitteridge (HBO)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Sarah Paulson, American Horror Story: Freak Show (FX)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul (AMC)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Uzo Aduba, Orange is the New Black (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Titus Burgess, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Anna Chlumsky, Veep (HBO)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Lisa Cholodenko, Olive Kitteridge (HBO)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Dee Rees, Christopher Cleveland, Bettina Gilois, and Horton Foote, Bessie (HBO)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
David Nutter, Game of Thrones ("Mother's Mercy") (HBO)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Matthew Weiner, Mad Men ("Person to Person") (AMC)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
Armando Ianucci, Veep ("Testimony") (HBO)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
Jill Soloway, Transparent ("Pilot") (Amazon)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A VARIETY SERIES
Jerry Foley, The Late Show with David Letterman (CBS)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A VARIETY SERIES
Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central)
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

The Emmys need to realize that The Americans is one of the best shows on TV and deserves to finally nominate it for Best Drama, as well as Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell for their stunning performances for three seasons. The fact that they nominate Downton Abbey still and fail to recognize this incredible show is very sad.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

All my useless support goes to Christina Hendricks. I want her to win so badly. I also hope Jon Hamm and Elisabeth Moss will get it.

Hendricks should submit Lost Horizon and Hamm and Moss Person to Person both of them. This is their last chance. They can't lose.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Flipp's final line to the 100th power.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The biggest joke of a category is Lead Actress - Comedy. It's chock full of unworthy nominees and placeholders. There is no reason to have Poehler and Falco, who have been running on fumes in those roles for years, Tomlin wasn't as good as her co-star Fonda in Grace & Frankie (OscarGuy, you're totally right there), Schumer isn't even an actress (I just adore her, but is she? Tee seems to think so after watching Trainwreck, so maybe the jury's still out), and Dreyfuss is vastly overrated on Veep (but I'm not necessarily protesting her nomination). I think all three of the women in Getting On could have qualified for leads and should all be in this category (which would have also lightened the badly overstuffed Supporting Actress Comedy category).

Lisa Kudrow should really take it for one of the best performances of the year in The Comeback. But I'm sure it'll go to Dreyfuss (again).

At least Lens Dunham was nowhere to be found.

Conversely, I think the Lead Actress - Drama category is really strong and how exciting is it that Tatiana Maslany finally got Emmy recognition. I'm ecstatic that Elisabeth Moss was welcomed back to this category for a very strong finish on Mad Men. I really think that Taraji P. Henson will take this though for her very entertaining turn as Cookie Lyon on Empire. She made that entire show.

Somewhere Julianna Margulies is seething and Panjabi is snickering. But Baranski was far more deserving than both of them this season on The Good Wife. She was excellent.

I love Margo Martindale but she didn't really do anything on The Americans this season (she showed up for to share one scene with Frank Langella in a diner). Lois Smith was way more deserving for the episode she was in. Smith was an acting tour-de-force. She might have even won if she had been nominated. I actually thought it was going to boil down to an old-school Smith versus Cicely Tyson. Smith's scene with Keri Russell was a major turning point for Russell's character in the series. It was phenomenal work from both actresses and probably one of the best acted scenes I saw all year.

Lorraine Toussaint was an impeccable presence in the second season of Orange is the New Black. Uzo Aduba was a very clown-like in the same season. The writing certainly didn't help her, but no one reeled in her increasingly buffoonish performance. Three more inches to the left and she would have been in full blown Buckwheat territory.

Remember, this is the organization that nominated Ellen Burstyn for a 15-second role on name recognition alone.
Last edited by flipp525 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:I thought they were supposed to have seven nominees in each acting category? If you can nominate 7 series every year, why the hell can't you nominate 7 actors/actresses, etc. I feel bad for Jane Fonda. She did much better work on Grace & Frankie than Lily Tomlin did.
I suppose you could say the same thing about the Oscars nominating up to 10 films for Best Picture but keeping the acting categories to five.

Return to “Broadcast Media”