Explosions at Boston Marathon

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Explosions at Boston Marathon

Post by OscarGuy »

Costco is a model for sound business strategy. If I recall correctly, the CEO and all executives for the company make less than $1,000,000 a year. They use the rest of their profits to pay their employees a wage that's above $30,000 a year (I think they say the average is $47K, but I wonder if that includes CEO/executive salaries).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

No doubt there'll be questions about some steps along the way (like, Was the lockdown really necessary?, and, Why was everyone told it was safe to come out?), but this has to be seen as a real vindication for careful, methodical police work (as opposed to the bluster that characterizes too much of our crime-fighting dialogue). There was obviously luck involved, and, in the end, the perps appear to be of the inexperienced/not all that bright class of criminal, which made them easier to catch. But I certainly understood why the Watertown folks were giving loud applause to the departing law enforcement crew.

Bauman is lucky to work for Costco. Everything I read about that company tells me it's run the way the best American companies used to be.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And I think one reason everyone is celebrating now is because this played like an actual movie. The scope, the drama, the human interest, and it all wrapped up as neatly as one may wish. Life usually isn't like that. Before all the bad things about this operation are slowly revealed to us - which is very possible - let the end credits roll for now.

ETA: And Mister Tee, I've just read that Bauman does have insurance: http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/201 ... story.html
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

That was extraordinary. And I don't think any innocent bystanders were killed by a stray policeman's bullet. Other than a big party weekend in Massachusetts, I don't know this will affect the rest of the country in the long-term, but I can imagine lots of good to come out of a sickening, tragic event. This is sure to be 12 feathers in the caps of Massachusetts governor and Obama and law enforcement

But I pray this doesn't bring back the extreme paranoia and prejudice that was the byproduct of 9/11. After seeing what went on with the second-worst thing to come out of this - the amateur sleuthing and reporting (fuck you, reddit) - I'm not hopeful. But, at least for a weekend, it's worth a celebration.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote: It turns out the guy in the cowboy hat is a man with a history of his own: his son died in Iraq, and the man was so distraught he lashed out a Marines office, in the process accidentally setting himself on fire (he had to attend his son's funeral on a stretcher).
The man in the cowboy hat is a well-known Boston figure. He lost a second son, who if memory serves was an Iraq vet who committed suicide.

Right now the remaining suspect is believed to be hiding in a boat in the rear of a house that they presumably searched earlier in the day.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This is mesmerizing TV, still going on as I type. Reminds me just a bit of the OJ/white Bronco night -- lots of waiting time held together by spectacular overall tension.

The most amazing story to emerge from this whole week: Jeff Bauman is a guy who lost his leg from the bombing. When he came to at the hospital, he insisted on speaking to the police immediately. He knew he had seen the guy who planted the backpack, and gave a good description that apparently played a big role in this all coming unravelled so quickly.

Bauman might have died on the way to the hospital, except for a guy in a cowboy hat who travelled with him, staunching the blood-flow from the leg. (You can easily find a picture of this on the web) It turns out the guy in the cowboy hat is a man with a history of his own: his son died in Iraq, and the man was so distraught he lashed out a Marines office, in the process accidentally setting himself on fire (he had to attend his son's funeral on a stretcher). He's spent the years since protesting the war, and thinking that God had kept him alive for some purpose.

Am I the only one who thinks this screams "Innaritu's next movie"?
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Tragic news. Nevertheless, it appears fortunate that there were no more fatalities, considering what might have been.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Post by Big Magilla »

Breaking news:

http://www.cnn.com/

Return to “Current Events”