Would You Support A Progressive Primary Challenge To Obama?

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 17

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Would You Support A Progressive Primary Challenge To Oba

Post by Mister Tee »

I don't have time to post my full-length response but, in brief:

1) Obama is a VERY strong candidate for re-election despite the economy, just as Reagan was in 1983 (when the recession was still very much underway). He's a charismatic incumbent with a major policy change (health care) and foreign policy success (bin Laden's killing) under his belt. The Lichtman system, which I've advocated for here in the past, says it would take an historic reversal of fortune for him not to win in 2012.

2) But if you want to do your best to put a Republican in thw White House, go ahead and mount a primary challenge. Ask the incumbents of 1912, 1952, 1968 and 1980 how well that worked out. It's the kiss of death for a party holding the presidency.

I've come to the sad conclusion that some Dem lefties are just as short-sighted and lacking in political knowledge as their Tea Party opposites.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

While I would like to say Yes, I cannot do so. Obama may have failed in many ways, but at this point, a solid democratic front is all that stands between less-than-liberal and outright conservative. You may not like a lot of what went into the health care plan, but it and a number of other positive programs will go away if Republicans regain control of government. If you really think things won't get worse under a Republican president and a Republican-controlled legislature plus a certain loss of at least two liberal justicse in the next four years? I will be holding my nose to vote for Obama, but I will NOT allow the Republicans an opportunity to further destroy what small issues HAVE been accomplished since Obama took office.

A primary challenger doesn't easily upset a sitting president and we don't need attacks from the left AND the right to weaken Obama's chances. He still has a shot at being re-elected, so here's hoping.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Absolutely not. All precedent would suggest that a primary challenge to Obama would be the quickest thing the Democrats could do to make sure the Republicans win the White House.

We'll have to see what the climate is like a year from now, but it seems to me that Obama has some pretty major accomplishments on his resume this term that put his chances for re-election far above "no chance."
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sadly, I think Obama is a failed president who has no chance of being reelected. I just see no way that an incumbent president can be reelected in an economy that is so bad. Unfortunately, Obama shows no desire to do what is required to turn the economy around, which is to put aside deficit reduction and institute a massive New-Deal-type-public-works program. I think it is absolutely necessary to have someone who would support such a program to challenge Obama in the Democratic primaries.

Return to “Current Events”