Celebrities And Politics

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Because the BIBLE puts it forth as an act of selflessness. That's why other films haven't gone into graphic detail. It's like why people watch Horror films. It's a gestalt feeling. And like I said, I've seen horror films that have been less excruciatingly gore-filled. It was completely and totally unnecessary thematically. Besides, the film fails significantly in its pursuit to tell who Chris was other than some schmuck who died on the cross. It doesn't help ANYONE outside of the hard-line Christians to understand Christ or his sacrifice any more than a church sermon.

Christ's story was told to help bring the word of god to the masses. Passion of the Christ doesn't even TRY to bring it to the masses. Therefore, the film fails utterly in supporting the cause that Christ died for. The film was nothing more than Mel Gibson's anti-Hollywood vanity ploy. He was targeting only ONE segment of the population and didn't care about anyone else who might have been able to go in and learn about Christ and what he did for mankind's sins. It may be an incredibly well made film but it does not bring across the message that should have been brought across. Failure.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

"Enjoy" is not exactly correct. There are several moving moments in the film, but even then the film is not meant strictly as an enjoyment. It is a tribute to a sacrifice and many Christians responded to it because it reminds them of what the sacrifice included. Other films that have touched on these events watered it down to a simplistic act of selflessness, never making us feel it as if it were happening in that moment. Gibson felt strongly enough to make a film that does that.

It isn't about "enjoying" the bloodshed (which wasn't nearly as bad as it was promoted to be), but to recognize the extent of the sacrifice. The film was very well-made, acted and directed. It was made out of love and reflection, not out of sadomachistic fetishes. This is what audiences responded to.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If it's not part of the message of the film, it has no point being there. Supposedly it was to simulate the agonizing torture inflicted upon Christ during his ordeal of crucifixtion. However, the Bible never goes into that kind of detail. The only reason to do so on film is to make a point and anyone who enjoys watching it would have to have some pretty big masochistic desires...it's more gorey than most horror films and again, not even remotely part of this discussion. You nitpicked one tiny aspect of my comparison and neglected to even admit the point conceded. So, since you had nothing further to input on the discussion, I'll take your topic-change as a sign that you agree that it was a waste of time and money and completely unnecessary and we'll move on.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Who gives a crap if some sado-masochistic religiosos want to continue renting the blood-letting. That's their prerogative. It's not even remotely germaine to the discussion we're having

I think this is an unfair statement. I do not consider the people who rent this movie to be sado-masochistic. They are simply reflecting on the sacrifice made by Jesus on the cross. Is this wrong? I don't think so, and I also don't think it reflects a liking of violence. It's not the message of the film.

But i agree it isn't germaine to the discussion. I mentioned it as an aside.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Who gives a crap if some sado-masochistic religiosos want to continue renting the blood-letting. That's their prerogative. It's not even remotely germaine to the discussion we're having.

Whether the film proved popular or not does not make the act any less shameful. And most recognition of that sort by the government doesn't specifically recognize the religious implications of a film. Generally, they recognize the individual or work on ARTISTIC merits, not on what "faith" it has managed to instill.
Wesley Lovell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Do we seriously have to convince you of the silliness of this?

No, you don't. If you read my previous posts, I said it was probably a waste of time and may be silly, though a nice gesture that isn't unprecedented in history. Other similar resolutions have been made by local governments honoring people and works that they feel contributed to society. I wouldn't have presented this idea if I was in office, but obviously they felt strongly enough about the film to warrant a resolution honoring it.

By the way, the film still gets rented at Blockbuster more than some other older non-new-release titles do.
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

criddic3 wrote:Oh, and sorry everybody for getting involved in that little spitting contest with cam.
WHOA, just cam? I don't warrant a mention? I was spitting with the best of em. Sheesh :p

Oh yeah and I think it goes without saying that I think this resolution is a big steaming pile of horse turd. And criddic, the difference between the Academy and this resolution is that the Academy is a select and small group whose opinions are not meant to influence or impose views on anyone. (In fact quite the contrary since all the griping over Oscars each year from critics and film-goers alike prove that many of us often have nothing in common with the Academy's lousy taste, and don't mind saying so) But a house resolution implies a more public sanction and is therefore another attempt by religious zealots to wed their private views to a public with disparate views on religion (and even among the Christian faith, disparate views on Gibson's film). Do we seriously have to convince you of the silliness of this?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

One of the clowns who co-sponsored the Mel Gibson Resolution, Lynn Westmoreland is now a US Congressman from Georgia's 8th District. He recently sponsored a bill requiring the 10 Commandments be displayed inside the House of Representatives.

Then he went on The Colbert Report and could only name THREE of the Commandments, and those only in the most general terms. Which is pretty mmuch this Republican Congress in a nutshell.

Even before he got stumped on the Commandments, he already revealed himself to be perjaps the biggest idio in the entire Comgress (and I know there is LOTS of competition).

You can see the interview at http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_colbert_report/index.jhtml

Once on the site, click on "Better Know A District." It is hilarious!!!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Does it matter what the religious views of the Georgian people are? Sure the religiosa in the state would support such a decision but does that make it ethically right? No. Time and money wasted to make a religious statement. No wonder our government is the laughing stock of the world.
Wesley Lovell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

As I said, it was probably a waste of time. Not that much time, though. And maybe the constituents of Georgia agree with the resolution. It certainly doesn't hurt anybody, and I'm sure it's not the first time that a resolution was made honoring someone for contributions to society.

Are the people of Georgia mad that this is something their representatives did?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You're daft. It's a STUPID idea to go to that much effort. It's not the copies made for every member of the assembly that's the waste of money. It's the waste of money paying these scumbags for the hours they worked on the right wording and the hour or more of debate it probably took to get it voted on.

I don't care WHO didn't recognize a film that kind of recognition is best left out of the legislature. Religion has no place in politics. Period.
Wesley Lovell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Just how much do you think a simple resolution costs?
It probably took all of ten minutes to a half-an-hour to make this happen.

It's actually kind of nice, since the Academy didn't see fit to even nominate Gibson for his efforts. It may seem silly (and maybe a bit a waste of time, compared to other matters), but it's a gesture I hope Gibson can embrace.

Oh, and sorry everybody for getting involved in that little spitting contest with cam.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

WTF? That's the most preposterous waste of taxpayer monies I've ever read about.
Wesley Lovell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

A Resolution Passed By The Georgia General Assembly:

04 LC 28 1835

House Resolution 1998
By: Representatives Mills of the 67th, Post 2, Westmoreland of the 86th, Coan of the 67th, Post 1, Brown of the 89th, Richardson of the 26th, and others

A RESOLUTION

Commending Mel Gibson and "The Passion of the Christ"; and for other purposes.

WHEREAS, Mel Gibson is an outstanding actor who has received both popular and critical acclaim for his work in numerous motion pictures; and

WHEREAS, he is also a dedicated Christian who is committed to his faith and has a desire to share his faith with others in ways that will touch and move them; and

WHEREAS, in order to present the essence of his Christian beliefs in a powerful and moving format, he personally financed, produced, and directed the motion picture "The Passion of the Christ"; and

WHEREAS, "The Passion of the Christ" depicts in graphic detail the last 12 hours in the life of Jesus Christ; and

WHEREAS, "The Passion of the Christ" has been phenomenally successful, grossing over $330 million since its opening in late February 2004; and

WHEREAS, the impact of this incredible motion picture can be seen in the effect that it has had on the individuals that have viewed it with the news media reporting almost daily since the motion picture opened about the many people who, after seeing the motion picture, renewed their commitment to their faith with a new intensity, repented of past bad conduct and sought forgiveness, and even confessed to crimes that they had committed; and

WHEREAS, many observers of the Hollywood motion picture industry have stated that this motion picture will change the way that Hollywood does business and will have a long and lasting impact on the motion picture industry; and

WHEREAS, it is fitting and proper that Mel Gibson be recognized for being so committed to sharing his faith with the world that he risked his own personal fame and fortune to make this motion picture and for making a profoundly powerful and exceptional motion picture that will be remembered as one of the greatest and most significant motion pictures in history.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES that the members of this body commend Mel Gibson on the making of "The Passion of the Christ" and extend to him their best wishes for future success and continued health and happiness.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Clerk of the House of Representatives is authorized and directed to transmit an appropriate copy of this resolution to Mel Gibson.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

How about BOTH of you go back to watching movies and discussing movies and stop this petty, childish, back-and-forth.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Current Events”