New Developments III

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: New Developments III

Post by Sabin »

RFK Jr. has announced that his running mate is Nicole Shanahan. Who? Exactly.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... o-00149015

EDITED FOR LENGTH:

I've been a bit more concerned about the impact of RFK Jr.'s candidacy towards Biden than most on this board. I think anyone who looks at his choice of Nicole Shanahan and dismisses it as an unserious choice for an unserious candidate is correct to do so. The kindest thing I can say about his choice is that 1) she'll fund his campaign, and 2) there was no way for RFK Jr. to choose a serious running mate without alienating some key constituency of lunatics. Imagining for a second that RFK Jr. has a 1% chance of being President and taking his campaign seriously, I think this is a lousy choice because he's effectively turned off his loudest group of right-wing supporters and turned them towards Trump by choosing someone with progressive-ish causes and was married to one of the tech giants that RFK Jr. built the start of his campaign railing against. I think Trump was always going to win most of those lunatics back but I think he just won at least 50% more of them back. Her selection pivots RFK Jr. towards his history of environmentalism and towards independents, Democrats who just want a third option, and young people. All of whom, Biden desperately needs to win in historic numbers.

By the way, anyone that wants to reassure me that we have this thing is welcome. I keep hearing Truman comparisons touting about. I keep seeing Benjamin Harrison.

A couple scattered thoughts:
-depending on how you look at it, Nicole Shanahan is the first Millennial on a major-ish ticket. Evan McMullan's 2016 campaign was pretty niche. His running mate Mindy Finn was born in February, 1981 which (as a January 1981 baby) is a pretty borderline case. Nicole Shanahan is born in either 1985 or 1986. She is fascinated by gut biomes, her favorite show is Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt, and she met her most recent husband at Burning Man. She is a fucking Millennial. I could see her helping RFK Jr. with young voters. This is going to help RFK Jr. with his right-policy/left-vibes campaign.
-unless I'm mistaken, this is the first major-ish ticket where both the top and the bottom are divorced. Maybe someone can correct me. I vaguely recall this being a big stigma during my political awakening. Not anymore. They're also both twice divorced.
-if Trump chooses a woman (which all speculation points to), then this will be the first election where all major candidates' running mates are women. Like Harris, she's also Asian-American. If Trump chooses a person of color, then this will be the first election where all major candidates' running mates are people of color.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't think he'll realize the profits quickly enough to satisfy the AG.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Didn't see this coming. Trump social media company will go public as DWAC shareholders approve merger.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/22/trump-c ... -vote.html

That's his legal fees, right?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I would think that the AG's office would know to do a title search on all the properties it intends to seize. If there are no prior liens, they're home free. If there are, they will calculate what it will take to pay off the liens and set an opening bid that will satisfy the liens and substantially reduce the debt owed to the state. Then on to the next property.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The big question I have is, if the New York AG starts to seize Trump properties, how leveraged is Trump? It could be that the New York Ag seizes a property, sells it to the highest bidder, and, finds that Trump is underwater, that he owes more money on the property than its sale price. That means the creditors do not get fully paid back, New York gets no money off of that property; and, the New York AG seizes another property. This could go on and on. Who knows when it would all end?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Greg wrote
Trump is unable to make the almost half-billion-dollar bond necessary to appeal his New York civil fraud verdict. It appears the New York AG will start seizing Trump's property in about a week.
He's gonna do a lot of normal stuff when that happens.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Trump is unable to make the almost half-billion-dollar bond necessary to appeal his New York civil fraud verdict. It appears the New York AG will start seizing Trump's property in about a week.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Semantics.

I can't read the article which requires a subscription to Fox News which I have no intention of doing, but the six dismissed charges are as good as gone. Refiling the violation of oath charges with reference to the specific oaths that were broken would take time and delay the trial even further.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Big Magilla wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:22 pm Meanwhile Goergia judge just threw out the infamous phone call and five other charges in that case.

Trump is going to get away with everything outside of New York, isn't he?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/judge- ... rence-case
He didn't threw it away. He dismissed some of the charges as too vague and invited the prosecution to refile them in a more specific way.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Meanwhile Georgia judge just threw out the infamous phone call and five other charges in that case.

Yes.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Meanwhile Goergia judge just threw out the infamous phone call and five other charges in that case.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/judge- ... rence-case
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Greg wrote
The Republican margin in the House is going to drop to 218-213 as Colorado Representative Ken Buck will resign by the end of the week.
So three more resignations and Jeffries is Speaker. Do I dare to dream?
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Republican margin in the House is going to drop to 218-213 as Colorado Representative Ken Buck will resign by the end of the week.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Trump suggests he’s open to cuts to Medicare and Social Security after attacking primary rivals over the issue.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/11/politics ... index.html

“There is a lot you can do in terms of entitlements, in terms of cutting and in terms of also the theft and the bad management of entitlements,”

Honestly, if the Democrats can't win against a guy who does nothing but cut ads for them, I don't know.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

gunnar wrote
Maybe Gavin Newsome or another Democratic Governor.
Newsome's been clearly running some kind of shadow campaign as Biden-Harris' loudest surrogates in the media circuit. I have no idea what happens if Biden decides not to run a the convention or something and leaves it up to power brokers, but I have to imagine Newsome would be seen by many as the most palatable choice. He's about to face another stupid pointless recall though.

That's nomination contest... lack of incumbency...
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Current Events”