New Developments III

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Any doubt that Fox is biased need look no further than this mafia-style threatening:

Report: O'Reilly Was "Unleashed" Against NBC, GE

Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes phoned NBC chief Jeff Zucker last summer and threatened to "unleash" Bill O'Reilly against NBC and its parent, General Electric, unless Zucker reigned in MSNBC host Keith Olbermann, who was regularly attacking O'Reilly (as "the worst person in the world") and Ailes himself, the Washington Post reported today (Monday). The complaints were later echoed in phone calls to Zucker from Rupert Murdoch, chairman of News Corp, which owns Fox News, the Post said. After the appeals failed, O'Reilly began an assault on GE chief Jeffrey Immelt, accusing him and his company of supporting the Iranian government. "If my child were killed in Iraq, I would blame the likes of Jeffrey Immelt," O'Reilly said during one broadcast. GE spokesman Gary Sheffer insisted that "nothing we supply ... to Iran is in any way endangering U.S. troops." He said that News Corp execs "tell us if the attacks on O'Reilly end, the attacks on GE will end."
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

First time I've agreed with the Supreme Court in quite some time.

Court rejects shorter sentence for repeat criminal 45 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court says a man with a long criminal record deserves a lengthy prison term, under a federal law aimed at keeping repeat offenders behind bars longer.

Monday's 6-3 decision, written by Justice Samuel Alito, deals with provisions of the Armed Career Criminal Act. The law makes defendants eligible for longer prison terms if they have three prior criminal convictions for crimes that are either violent felonies or serious drug offenses.

A jury convicted Gino Gonzaga Rodriquez of possessing a gun as a convicted felon. Prosecutors said his five prior convictions — two for burglary in California and three for drug trafficking in Washington — should have led to a 15-year prison sentence.

But a federal judge imposed a sentence of 92 months and the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco agreed.

At issue was what makes a crime a serious drug offense. Judges sometimes look at the length of the sentence prescribed by state law.

In this case, the question was whether the additional time that state law imposed because someone is a repeat offender can be used to trigger the still harsher penalties under the federal sentencing law. The Supreme Court concluded it can.

Justice David Souter, joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and John Paul Stevens, dissented. Souter said the court's ruling would make life more complicated for trial courts trying to calculate prison sentences.

The case is U.S. v. Rodriquez, 06-1646.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1211212854
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Restoring my computer to a date in April did the trick.

I don't know, do subliminal messages really work?

Of course, the $40MM inaugural was a travesty, but then so has almost everything the White House has done over the last eight years.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks, BJ, but that's not it. I'm on with Firefox now, and having the same problem I did with I.E. I'm going to try setting the computer back to a time before the problem occurred and see if that fixes it.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla wrote:I'd love to know what you guys are talking about but every tiem I go to YuTube lately I get this message: Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

I've reinstalled JavaScript and the Adobe Flash Player several times, but I still get the same messge. Any suggestions?
I used to have this problem when trying to access You Tube with Internet Explorer.

When I switched web browsers (to Firefox), I've never had this problem. I haven't had it with Safari either.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That was fantastic. Well said, Vanity Fair.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'd love to know what you guys are talking about but every tiem I go to YuTube lately I get this message: Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

I've reinstalled JavaScript and the Adobe Flash Player several times, but I still get the same messge. Any suggestions?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

flipp525 wrote:That's a great one, Damien.

This is one of my favorites. Just watch the Fox News bitch squirm.
That's awesome, Flipp. Bimbo didn't know what hit her :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

criddic3 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
criddic3 wrote:I think there is a difference between hoping that by 2013, we will have victory, and saying that we will draw down our troops by a particular day.

This isn't an age issue, but a hope issue.

I don't recall him sayign he's "hoping", it was more like his looking into a crystal ball and emphatically knowing what was going to happen four years hence. It's the kind of delusion people of a certain age have. The difference is that most of them are safely retired and their rantings have no consequence.

By looking into his "crystal ball," he was describing his highest hopes for a productive first term. Duh! It is something even young people do. "When I graduate from college, I'm gonna be a big star!" "When I go out with this girl, it's gonna be so great!"
And just as banal.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

That's a great one, Damien.

This is one of my favorites. Just watch the Fox News bitch squirm.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Big Magilla wrote:
criddic3 wrote:I think there is a difference between hoping that by 2013, we will have victory, and saying that we will draw down our troops by a particular day.

I don't recall him sayign he's "hoping", it was more like his looking into a crystal ball and emphatically knowing what was going to happen four years hence. It's the kind of delusion people of a certain age have. The difference is that most of them are safely retired and their rantings have no consequence.
By looking into his "crystal ball," he was describing his highest hopes for a productive first term. Duh! It is something even young people do. "When I graduate from college, I'm gonna be a big star!" "When I go out with this girl, it's gonna be so great!" "If you vote for me, we'll have universal healthcare and peace throughout the land!" "Vote for me and troops will be home in 6 months!"
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

"O-BEH-meh!"

This guy is annoying like nothing I've ever seen. He looks like a South Park caricature of Canadians.

That was too obnoxious to be enjoyable.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

A cautionary tale for criddic: Never spout off Republican talking points without knowing your facts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1wSZBTAXRs&feature=related

Edited By Damien on 1210961095
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “Current Events”