Post by Sabin »

I think they’re going to steal it.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Campaign 2020

Post by Big Magilla »

What is wrong with people?

It's not over until it's over but even if Biden wins and the Senate is flipped in the end, it shouldn't be this close. The reelection of McConnell, Graham and Ernst despite all that has happened/not happened in the past six months, let alone the last four years, remains unchanged. It's disgusting.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah. Not the repudiation of Trumpism I was hoping for.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Not feeling too great
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The most unpopular President we've ever had is running the worst reelection campaign we've ever seen. I know the answer to this one!

https://twitter.com/leeunkrich/status/1 ... 2939127808
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I have every expectation and none. I have every hope and fear. As a non-American, my singular hope is that the diminishment of America on an international scale doesn't create a vacuum any more than it already has.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm optimistic about winning the Senate, but I am concerned about what kind of mischief and misery Trump and his sycophants will cause before the end of the year and Trump by himself in the remaining days until January 20th. McConnell has already declared that he will continue to push conservative judges through while he is still in power.

On the bright side, though, I predict that Trump will either fire Dr. Fauci or he will quit and immediately join Biden's transition team, the first thing that has to happen if we are going to regain any sense of normalcy in the interim.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Yeah, there isn't a very big window for prematurely declaring victory, unless he starts out with a commanding lead in the swing states... and that would have to be many simultaneous commanding leads. BTW, Trump's since denied he's said this, but that we - the media, the people, me - believe that he did say it is because he's been a pathological babbler for four years, and this would be one of his lesser boasts.

It's also pretty galling that he's boasting about how he has thousands of lawyers ready to dispute any suspect vote tallies, and this is accepted as merely precautionary. Has everyone forgotten about 2000? When Florida was at an impasse, everyone said "The worst thing about this is that Al Gore is going to file lawsuit after lawsuit. He's going to corrupt democracy and the will of the people by litigating it!" (BTW, it was Bush who filed the first lawsuit.)

Of all the things happening tomorrow, the presidential election concerns me the least... which is not to say I won't have palpitations about it. Bur far more worrying is the senate race. The Democrats should win the majority of seats, but it's far less certain that they will. If most people are predicting them to win 50 or 51 seats, can 49 be that far out of the question? But I'm most concerned about the short term consequences Trump's statements delegitimizing the election (just like he delegitimtized every other democratic institution these past four years.) Clearly he thinks he's not winning, because if he did, he'd do anything and everything to convince even Democrats that the results are fair and accurate. But by blathering on about "The polls are rigged! The vote is rigged!", he's not only brainwashed his cult into thinking that his defeat could only be caused by chicanery, he's also manipulated us into thinking that if he did win the election, it could only have come about crookedly. IOW, he is fucking stupid. And fucking dangerous, because the ramifications of all this is that he's made this country ungovernable. Whether he wins or loses, he's murdered democracy.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Trump will declare victory on Tuesday night before all votes are tallied and say that anything that wasn't counted prior to or on Tuesday shouldn't count at all.
Only if the early vote totals are in his favor. If they go the other way, he will change his tune. In either case, his lawyers are prepared to go to court but if it's a wipeout by Biden as it certainly could be, he'll be mum. He won't, however, concede.

The long vote count anticipated in Michigan has shrunk because volunteers spent all day today prepping the ballots, which can't be opened until tomorrow, checking serial numbers on the envelope against names and signatures on file. We won't see final results from Michigan and several other states tomorrow night but we should see them in a day or two, not weeks as had been the earlier prediction.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Trump will declare victory on Tuesday night before all votes are tallied and say that anything that wasn't counted prior to or on Tuesday shouldn't count at all.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:In case Biden wins, when do you think Trump will concede?
He won't. He'll hem and haw and leave the White House on January 20th before Biden is sworn in but won't attend the ceremony.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

In case Biden wins, when do you think Trump will concede?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:Final election predictions?

Do we win the Senate?
I think we do. I think we win most, if not all, of the toss-ups and hopefully pull a surprise and take Kentucky, too.

The polls based on party counts for votes already cast don't take into consideration that a number of registered Republicans went for Biden and Dems down the line, making their early leads even stronger. If Biden wins Florida early on, it's just a question of how large his and the Dems' overall victory will be.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Final election predictions?

Do we win the Senate?
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:My favorite Biden ad: https://streamable.com/zqko13
It’s an incredibly effective ad.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Current Events”