R.I.P. Barbara Bush

Greg
Tenured

Re: R.I.P. Barbara Bush

Post by Greg »

dws1982 wrote:I always liked her; also always thought she looked like George Washington.
Actually, I think she looked like Martha Washington.
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Barbara Bush

Post by dws1982 »

I was in Kindergarten when Bush was elected; Presidents were the first thing I became obsessed with (I knew all of the Presidents, including their terms in office--something that I still remember, actually). After Bush was inaugurated, I sent some type of fan mail to the White House and got back a package with, I think, postcards, a "signed" 8X10 picture, a book about the White House, and a note from Mrs. Bush. I'm sure they sent something similar to almost every kid who wrote, but six year-old me felt special.

I always liked her; also always thought she looked like George Washington.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Barbara Bush

Post by Sabin »

Haven't seen any other posts about this so...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/us/b ... -dead.html

The first president I was really cognizant for was George H.W. Bush, so Barbara Bush was my first First Lady. But really she seemed like the First Grandmother. My impression of her at the time was that of a sweet old lady who wanted kids to read. And she was succeeded by an ambitious young woman who wanted to become a partner in government. She became more outspoken since leaving office, sometimes for worse (like a gaffe worrying about Katrina victims coming to stay in Houston) and sometimes for the better like snarking on Sarah Palin or her hilarious remarks to Jeb about how he needs to toughen up more. I think Donald Trump was right. If one Bush had to run in 2016, it should've been her.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Current Events”