Web of Sex Scandals

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: Web Of Sex Scandals

Post by Sonic Youth »

Bog wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote: BTW, before we get too smug about this... you know this is eventually going to happen to a Democrat too, right? My money's on Al Franken.
Maybe so...but also that's where Louis and Harvey come in...Spacey too probably but less vocally liberal/Democrat than the 2 former.
But that's not the same thing. I mean a fully active politician, like a senator whose removal could shift the balance of power in the senate even further.

I'm not so sure Anthony Weiner was the opposite of "toxic waste". If I remember correctly, he was also not very well liked among his colleagues, hence his rapid downfall. (It would have happened anyway, but more gradually.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Web of Sex Scandals

Post by Mister Tee »

I know dws has weighed in on various aspects of this, but I'd be interested in hearing from him what sort of local reaction the Roy Moore story is getting.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sonic Youth wrote: BTW, before we get too smug about this... you know this is eventually going to happen to a Democrat too, right? My money's on Al Franken.
Maybe so...but also that's where Louis and Harvey come in...Spacey too probably but less vocally liberal/Democrat than the 2 former. Plus, there's Anthony Weiner...who probably would have been the polar opposite politically to Toxic Waste...whatever that may be...next big thing/rising star?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Louis C.K.'s statement:
I want to address the stories told to The New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was O.K. because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly. I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position. I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it. There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with. I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You, Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years. I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen. Thank you for reading.
Better than nothing, I guess. I won't deny that as far as statements go this is very well written and seemingly heartfelt. But let's not forget that Louis C.K.'s been denying these accusations as recently as a few weeks ago. That also needs to be addressed. After years of dodging the accusations, this "apology" is another dodge.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sabin wrote:Next up: Matthew Weiner. Bad name, bad record.
Five minutes after reading this, I saw that Kater Gordon has alleged sexual harassment by Weiner. She was the writer who won an Emmy with Weiner for writing an episode of Mad Men, and was then fired a few weeks later. She hasn't worked in television since. I always wondered why, but it seems like this experience had a lot to do with it.

‘Mad Men’ Creator Matthew Weiner Accused of Sexual Harassment by Writer Kater Gordon

Matthew Weiner, best known as the creator of “Mad Men,” has been accused of sexual harassment by Kater Gordon. Gordon first started as Weiner’s personal assistant before being promoted to his writers assistant and then later a staff writer on the acclaimed AMC drama series. Gordon won an Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series alongside Weiner in 2009 for writing the episode “Meditations In An Emergency.”

In an interview with The Information, Gordon says she was harassed by Weiner late one night when he allegedly said to her that she owed it to him to let him see her naked. She says she “froze and tried to brush [the comments] off” by continuing to work with Weiner that evening in the office. Gordon believed it was “lose-lose situation,” as confronting Weiner would “end her career” and not confronting him would “make it impossible to work with him.”

“I knew immediately when he crossed the boundary that it was wrong,” Gordon told The Information. “But I didn’t know then what my options were. Having a script or some sentences cued up as an arsenal— like a self-defense harassment arsenal—I could have used that in that moment, and it would have saved me years of regret that I didn’t handle that situation differently.”

A year after the alleged incident, Gordon was let go from “Mad Men.” Her removal from the writers room sparked headlines at the time questioning why Weiner’s longtime assistant and writing partner would be let go from the series, especially after winning the Emmy.

“I had the Emmy, but instead of being able to use that as a launch pad for the rest of my career, it became an anchor because I felt I had to answer to speculative stories in the press,” she said. “I eventually walked away instead of fighting back.”

A spokesperson for Weiner issued the following statement: “Mr. Weiner spent eight to ten hours a day writing dialogue aloud with Miss Gordon, who started on ‘Mad Men’ as his writers assistant. He does not remember saying this comment nor does it reflect a comment he would say to any colleague.”

Gordon says she shared what Weiner told her to a number of confidants over the years, several of which confirmed the allegation to The Information. The writer has not worked in television since leaving “Mad Men” and is currently forming a nonprofit to help victims of sexual harassment called Modern Alliance. Weiner is currently developing the Amazon drama series “The Romanoffs.”
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:
On the other hand, did you see that AL state official who tried to brush away Moore's accusers by saying that Mary the mother of Jesus was a teenager and Joseph was a grown man, so no big deal?
I bet he justifies adultery with that analogy too.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Sabin wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote
BTW, before we get too smug about this... you know this is eventually going to happen to a Democrat too, right? My money's on Al Franken.
Is he notorious?
Not that I know of, but he was with Saturday Night Live during the 70s, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.
I'd assume there was all sorts of kink going on back then -- the 70s, cocaine, fame opened a great many (shall we say) doors -- but I think it's more likely there'll be something embarrassing revealed about Franken than something illegal, which is what the Moore story is.

Though I remain a bit concerned that, despite the fact that all of the stories that have emerged so far are of people clearly overstepping legal/societal bounds, there will at some point be attempts (by right and left) to lump the merely salacious in with them, and lead to something of a righteous reign of terror.

On the other hand, did you see that AL state official who tried to brush away Moore's accusers by saying that Mary the mother of Jesus was a teenager and Joseph was a grown man, so no big deal?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Next up: Matthew Weiner. Bad name, bad record.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote
BTW, before we get too smug about this... you know this is eventually going to happen to a Democrat too, right? My money's on Al Franken.
Is he notorious?
Not that I know of, but he was with Saturday Night Live during the 70s, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sonic Youth wrote
Is he notorious?
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:Don't leave out Louis C.K.

Far be it from me to pass judgment on what gives someone pleasure, but...are there really women out there who WANT to see male barely-acquaintances masturbate? Seems to me like Weinstein/Louis et al. are selling to an audience that doesn't exist.
Yeah, I bet there are, but that's why Craigslist was invented. You have to, by mutual agreement, go to them. They don't come to you. Weinstein didn't seem to understand that.

I know absolutely nothing about this firsthand, I promise. :P
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

So glad the Post took down their paywall for this story.

Whenever a huge scandal allegation hits, it's always interesting to see how many members of the same party, if any, are either outspoken in their support of the accused, refuse to comment, or - worst of all - demand he step down. Even if the allegations are false, the comments that GOP members have made so far suggests that Roy Moore is the equivalent of toxic waste. Part of it is the nature of the allegations, of course, but it's also because conventional Republicans clearly do not like Moore and wanted little to do with him in the first place. And lack of party support is usually what determines who survives scandals and who perishes.

Too bad Trump supported the other Republican in the primary race. What a beautiful thing it would have been had he been campaigned for Moore instead.

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Don't leave out Louis C.K.

Far be it from me to pass judgment on what gives someone pleasure, but...are there really women out there who WANT to see male barely-acquaintances masturbate? Seems to me like Weinstein/Louis et al. are selling to an audience that doesn't exist.

It's too high a price to have paid, but you can possibly make the argument that the awfulness of Trump has flushed a lot of this out in the open, and that it'll amount to something of a cleanse...if we ever get to the other side of it.
Greg
Tenured

Web of Sex Scandals

Post by Greg »

What was set off by Harvey Weinstein just keeps snowballing. Now it has moved from Hollywood to Washington.

Mitch McConnell calls on Roy Moore to exit Alabama Senate race ‘if these allegations are true’:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... f0c97add26

Return to “Current Events”