Everything Is Great and Amazing

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Life Under Trump

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote: Some of those who voted for him thinking he didn't mean all the crazy things he said are waking up to a new reality.
Yes.... but it's a bit late now unfortunately.

Also - you live there so you know better than I do - but I think that there IS a big portion of Americans (not those living in New York or in San Francisco of course, but in other areas, and America is big, and not only made of big cities) which is so... DEEPY Trump-ian - Trump-ian at heart. And which was so even before Trump ever thought of becoming President.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sonic Youth wrote: Encourage us! We need all the help we can get.
I do encorauge you and your family, Sonic Youth - of course I do. But - I mean, even you - and despite the fact that as far as I remember you are married to a non-American... Every time I used to even vaguely say that America wasn't so perfect and there was a sordid dark side about it... you were always acting as if it was a personal offence (even resorting to homophobic insults - I couldnt care at all of course). And YOU should have been the first to be personally worried... But it was hopeless.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I don't anyone in America other than Trump and his gang consider Putin a friend.
Trump, his gang and those Americans who voted for him - sadly.
Not all those who voted for him. The evangelical Christians, in particular, are horrified. Some of those who voted for him thinking he didn't mean all the crazy things he said are waking up to a new reality. As Lincoln said, you can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:You can say "I told you so" all you want - I know how much you love doing that.
Well, I do that only because nobody here seems to admit it. I saw the dark side of America long ago, and I was mercilessly attacked here. It's easy to be ashamed now that it's all so evident - but our duty as human beings is to analyze things in advance, so that we can try to prevent them from happening. And there WERE signs, trust me flipp - even on this board. Just read some old posts. But I'm not complaining - it's not about me.

But I'm glad and proud that you are now doing something. I must say that from what I've seen on tv it didn't seem like HUGE crowds (especially considering how populated the US are) - but I must believe you - and anyway, it's still better than nobody protesting.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: 2016 is over. Please post these kinds of comments in the Life Under Trump thread.

I really don't know what you're talking about. There have been protests against Trump and his crap all over the country as well as the world at large.
Well... yes, a few protests, ok - small groups of people. I admire them, don't get me wrong - it must take courage to go out and demostrate against the Power in the US. But it's a tiny minority. In Europe there would be an ocean of people protesting. But ok, SOME Americans aren't silent. Millions are though.

And do Americans know that their officially "new friend" is, among other things, going to decriminalise domestic violence in his country?
Speaking personally, I did not attend last week's protest because I couldn't. But nearly every member of my family did - aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, from children to people in their 70s. (I'm very lucky to be a part of this family). Lots of my friends have attended or are going to attend a mass demonstration, as will I. Probably there are people who are afraid to "demonstrate against the power". We're not.

And there were millions of us out there last week. Small or not, it was still in the millions. By recent American standards, that was bloody good, and it humiliated the motherfucker in the White House. You can argue that in terms of the ratios of populations, that's not as impressive as a European demonstration, but why argue? Encourage us! We need all the help we can get.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Okri wrote:Italiano, I genuinely hope that it would be unthinkable in Europe, because I suspect that will be put to the test in the next French elections and the forces that assisted Trump are going to be present there as well (the Breitbart cohort, rampant xenophobia). Europe has a number of advantages over the USA here (chief among them, you guys haven't desecrated your education system to avoid teaching history and citizenship), which makes me weep with relief.
Oh but of course conservative forces can win in Europe too (though I frankly hope that, despite all the predictions, France won't fall in Marine Le Pen's hands in May) - and I always admit that our own Silvio Berlusconi WAS Trump's precursor here. But in western Europe the amount of idiocy, narrow-mindness, arrogance and plain craziness that Trump is showing DAYS after he's been officially appointed as President would be today unthinkable, honestly. And less dangerous anyway.
But you are right - I've always felt that the education system in the US is partly responsible for this mess.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: 2016 is over. Please post these kinds of comments in the Life Under Trump thread.

I really don't know what you're talking about. There have been protests against Trump and his crap all over the country as well as the world at large.
Well... yes, a few protests, ok - small groups of people. I admire them, don't get me wrong - it must take courage to go out and demonstrate
A few protests? Small groups of people? Are you fucking kidding? I live in Washington, D.C. and was at the Women's March the day after that horrid little Inauguration (that was the small group of people). It was astounding to me how many people were there. More than I've ever seen and I've lived here my entire life. And they were fired up. I was just down at the White House this afternoon protesting this hideous Muslim ban and there were more people there than there were celebrating night Obama was elected in '08 (which was a HUGE crowd). In fact, I think the numbers are in and the Women's March on Washington was the largest protest in American history. This is not a "tiny minority" of people (you sound like a misinformed Fox News pundit).

Please try and get your facts straight, Marco. Some of us are as disgusted and ashamed of this country (and this administration's new fascist policies) as you have always been and are not being quiet about it. You can say "I told you so" all you want - I know how much you love doing that. But you will not mischaracterize or downplay the nascent revolution that is brewing on these streets right in front of Orange Cheeto Hitler's house. I was there. That I will not stand for.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Italiano, I genuinely hope that it would be unthinkable in Europe, because I suspect that will be put to the test in the next French elections and the forces that assisted Trump are going to be present there as well (the Breitbart cohort, rampant xenophobia). Europe has a number of advantages over the USA here (chief among them, you guys haven't desecrated your education system to avoid teaching history and citizenship), which makes me weep with relief.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:I don't anyone in America other than Trump and his gang consider Putin a friend.
Trump, his gang and those Americans who voted for him - sadly.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't anyone in America other than Trump and his gang consider Putin a friend.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:And do Americans know that their officially "new friend" is, among other things, going to decriminalise domestic violence in his country?
That he can't do. He can issue executive orders to cover things not covered by law and he can undo his predecessor's executive orders such as remove the sanctions against Russia, although Congress would like put them back into effect immediately.

Domestic violence is a crime. He can't make it legal any more than he can make murder legal.
I meant Putin.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:And do Americans know that their officially "new friend" is, among other things, going to decriminalise domestic violence in his country?
That he can't do. He can issue executive orders to cover things not covered by law and he can undo his predecessor's executive orders such as remove the sanctions against Russia, although Congress would like put them back into effect immediately.

Domestic violence is a crime. He can't make it legal any more than he can make murder legal.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Well... yes, a few protests, ok - small groups of people. I admire them, don't get me wrong - it must take courage to go out and demostrate against the Power in the US. But it's a tiny minority. In Europe there would be an ocean of people protesting. But ok, SOME Americans aren't silent. Millions are though.

And do Americans know that their officially "new friend" is, among other things, going to decriminalise domestic violence in his country?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Statue of Liberty is weeping.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:I really feel as if I'm watching (or living in) a bad American movie... And I wonder how can a supposedly "civilized" country take such decisions without - I don't know - an institution which can prevent the President from making some obviously absurd, anti-democratic choices. Is the President so free? In Italy all this would be unthinkable.

And the American people? All silent. (Except for a few who will be soon considered communists).

Ah, how right I was. How I saw through this long, long ago. And how sad that even today there's almost no self-criticism - even from those on this board who think of themselves as "open-minded" and "intellectual"...
2016 is over. Please post these kinds of comments in the Life Under Trump thread.

We are in a constitutional crisis. The courts are involved. Border agents at the airports are being directed by Gen. Flynn to refuse court orders not to deport people with visas who have already arrived. Bannon in effect is the President, Trump the salesman and Flynn the flunky. The three of them belong in jail, not the White House. Unfortunately, nothing Trump has done in his executive orders is illegal, just immoral, imprudent and dare I say, insane.

Return to “Current Events”