Everything Is Great and Amazing

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Everything Is Great Again

Post by Big Magilla »

I couldn't find anything in the style guides that say that, although I did find a vague reference to "generally speaking".

My quote was from the latest version of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Here are 101 more examples of the correct usage of President vs. president in a sentence:

http://in-a-sentence.com/Use/pr/president.html
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

No, criddic is right. President is only capitalized when preceding a proper name, at least according to AP and MLA, the two most popular style guides.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

criddic3 wrote:Grammatically correct, as I did not say "President Trump," I said "The president."
Actually, no, it's grammatically correct when referring to a specifically titled person to capitalize his title.

For example: "The governor of the state is the person in charge." is correct, but it's "The Governor called to ask my opinion on the matter."

or as the dictionary puts it:

Examples of president in a sentence

The President will hold a news conference tomorrow.
<the president of the international conference on genocide>
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

At least something good can happen for the wrong reason.

Key conservative: GOP doesn't have votes on healthcare repeal:

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/32 ... acks-votes
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Big Magilla wrote:
criddic3 wrote:There's no use to getting hysterical every time Trump says or does something. If there's something to uncover, it likely will be. It's very interesting that while the Democrats are salivating over every possible hint that Trump may be derailed, Republicans aren't exactly jumping at the chance to defend him. In fact, Speaker Paul Ryan has said pretty bluntly that it's not his job to defend the president and won't go out of his way to do so. Let's keep in mind, however, that the president has only been in office two months.
Freudian slip there, giving Ryan the courtesy of capitalizing his title, while not capitalizing Trump's?

To me, they're both jerks. Ryan is a heartless nerd. Trump is a two-faced lying piece of shit, always has been and always will be.
Grammatically correct, as I did not say "President Trump," I said "The president."
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:FBI: Trump campaign, Russia ties investigated, no wiretap evidence found:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/20/politics/ ... index.html
Yes, but all the Republicans on the Committee want to know is who leaked Flynn's name to the Washington Post because for them the crime isn't colluding with the Russians, it's getting caught.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

FBI: Trump campaign, Russia ties investigated, no wiretap evidence found:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/20/politics/ ... index.html
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

criddic3 wrote:There's no use to getting hysterical every time Trump says or does something. If there's something to uncover, it likely will be. It's very interesting that while the Democrats are salivating over every possible hint that Trump may be derailed, Republicans aren't exactly jumping at the chance to defend him. In fact, Speaker Paul Ryan has said pretty bluntly that it's not his job to defend the president and won't go out of his way to do so. Let's keep in mind, however, that the president has only been in office two months.
Freudian slip there, giving Ryan the courtesy of capitalizing his title, while not capitalizing Trump's?

To me, they're both jerks. Ryan is a heartless nerd. Trump is a two-faced lying piece of shit, always has been and always will be.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

There's no use to getting hysterical every time Trump says or does something. If there's something to uncover, it likely will be. It's very interesting that while the Democrats are salivating over every possible hint that Trump may be derailed, Republicans aren't exactly jumping at the chance to defend him. In fact, Speaker Paul Ryan has said pretty bluntly that it's not his job to defend the president and won't go out of his way to do so. Let's keep in mind, however, that the president has only been in office two months.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I am so tempted to rename this thread Lies! Lies! Lies!, but enough tinkering around.

If these planned cuts to meals on wheels and after school programs don't cause a Trump backlash, nothing short of another war will.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Similar to Magilla (or maybe, everyone) I like Maddow a good bit, but enjoy her in smallish doses. My realization halfway or less through the 60 minute program is my fire is being fueled...however, not a SOUL who favors Trump, votes for the 'R' on the ballot, likes Trump, loves Trump, tolerates Trump, is seeing or hearing any of this information...not even one singular person. The people active in this thread voting on a new title for said thread are her audience and no more...sadly.

I'm heartened hearing fron Tee about his reminiscing the Watergate time line. ..a fact I was not aware was many, many months in the making. That being said...what I'm getting at is to Sonic's point: every night Rachel uncovers something which feels like plenty to prove this will end badly for Trump...Dmitry Rybolovlev basically paying Trump 60 million bucks for a "house" no one planned to live in, then both denying knowing each other despite many pics in many places of them together, Tillerson's obvious deep ties to Putin and his subsequent no show performance and depletion of a department most dangerous to Russian government, Chris Steele resurfacing and the media reporting him being found alive as though this was something normal to report as well as several aspects of dossier proving true almost weekly, Manafort, Page, Flynn, Sessions, our next president Mike Pence being proved to have known about Flynn's affairs and then lying to our faces acting clueless saying he would have had no idea...and on and on and on

All this and just another day begins with tweets and Trump/RyanCare talk and 2020 campaign speeches and seemingly no movement. I know the pubs basically control the entire city of DC and what they don't control soon enough they'll add the "non-partisan" court as well...but this seems next level (if it is all as true as it seems) and I can almost take no more of it until we get a "move forward this guy is basically involved with making Putin co-president" or "desperation sour grapes failed to connect dots where deviance seemed to exist...onto 2018"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I never saw Maddow's tweet and didn't see Greg's comment until after I caught the tail end of Maddow's show, so I missed the absurd build-up.

I tend to take Maddow in small doses. I like her better when she's interviewing someone than when she sits and pontificates straight to the camera, which she does too much for my tastes.

The thing that annoys me more than the absurd news build-ups these days are the "we start with breaking news" announcements from MSNBC and CNN anchors when as often as not the "breaking news" is stuff they've been putting out there for 12-24 hours. It's gotten so ridiculous, that this afternoon one of the MSNBC announcers began with "this really is breaking news!"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:When and why did we change this thread title?

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=10738
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

When and why did we change this thread title?

The Maddow tax thing was so overwrought and pointless you could almost believe she owed Trump a favor. Colbert last night did an absolutely devastating parody of Maddow's "I'm going to tell you something, but first I'm going to describe 100 things barely related to it, then cut to a commercial" shtik. Maybe this will eventually lead someplace or other, but for now it's pretty much the Maddow equivalent of Geraldo going into Al Capone's vault.

Sonic, I understand that one would like to be more quickly certain where and how high this Russia story is going, but properly executed law enforcement investigations aren't speedy things. I remind those who weren't around, that we started talking about Watergate in the Spring of 1973, and Nixon didn't resign until August 8th, 1974 -- and there were numerous lulls along the way during which people were continually predicting it would peter out short of major result. An analogy I heard yesterday: it's the pilot(law enforcement)'s job to land the plane safely, not to answer every passenger's question along the way.

My take is, the most significant thing that's happened in recent weeks is the reaction of those House and Senate members who are getting classified briefings from Comey -- more precisely, the non-reaction: there still hasn't been a single leak from the weeks-ago meeting, and, as for yesterday... Chuck Grassley came into the meeting grousing about not getting info, and came out of it letting Dianne Feinstein do all the talking. And Feinstein's facial expressions were about as grim as the ones she showed when announcing Mayor Moscone's death. All my antennae tell me this is going to be VERY big...but I have no idea when that bigness is gong to be apparent.

In the meantime, watch the GOP tear themselves apart over healthcare.
Last edited by Mister Tee on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Interestingly, 2005 was the year the Donald married Green Card holder Melania. According to Rachel Maddow right now, one thing Melania needed to expedite her citizenship, granted in 2006, was a sterling tax return, which could be the reason why this one actually looks good for the Trumps.

Return to “Current Events”