Everything Is Great and Amazing

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Post by OscarGuy »

I want him to be impeached and removed from office (the first president to suffer that ignominious defeat, then live long enough to see history shred his record and put him down as history's worst president. Let him know just how much of an abject failure he was. To see thee rest of his family sent to prison would be icing in the cake.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The Original BJ wrote:Sometimes I just have to remind myself that chances are pretty high that one day I will have the privilege of hearing the news that this man is finally dead.
Yeah.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Maybe he'll have the stroke after he's impeached but before he has the chance to pardon himself.

Pence will say "it was God's will" as he selects Roy Moore to succeed him as Vice President.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

We are one month and change away from the anniversary of his election. There are days where I think he’ll be gone within a week, and then there are days where I think we’ll never be rid of him. Until I see him removed from office, I trust nothing to remove him. Not even a stroke.
Mister Tee quote
And a quick fuck you to any Stein/Johnson/stayed-home-because-there-was-no-difference voters. You own this.
The people who refused to recognize that refusing to voting against misogyny, racism, and cruelty is a vote of support.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I would never wish this on anyone, but I think it would serve him right if he suffered a debilitating stroke that left him alive, but paralyzed for the rest of his life and totally dependent on others for his care.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:Sometimes I just have to remind myself that chances are pretty high that one day I will have the privilege of hearing the news that this man is finally dead.
I'm holding out for abject humiliation before death, and counting on Robert Mueller to deliver it.

With these comments today, Trump reveals himself to have the soul of Archie Bunker -- he formed his twisted views of Hispanics in that era, and has been expressing them so long he assumes much of the world agrees with him. The fact that it was a female Puerto Rican who challenged him only upped the ante, leading to this utterly inexcusable rant. I'd like to hear any allegedly sensible Republican who supported/voted for him defend this display.

And a quick fuck you to any Stein/Johnson/stayed-home-because-there-was-no-difference voters. You own this.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sometimes I just have to remind myself that chances are pretty high that one day I will have the privilege of hearing the news that this man is finally dead.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

It wasn't clear to me what you were saying in your post.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
What the fuck is wrong with her? Umm, she has zero fucks left to give and she's speaking her mind.
The point of my post is to bring to light how much more people care about an ill-advised comparison to a 'Game of Thrones' character to learning she almost campaigned on universal basic income. Just a good example of what the country's priorities ACTUALLY are.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What the fuck is wrong with her? Umm, she has zero fucks left to give and she's speaking her mind.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

HRC: I was thinking about running on UBI but then I didn't.
*crickets*

HRC: I'm like a character from an HBO show.
WTF IS WRONG WITH HER???
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

KKK hoods and urine-proof rubber sheets for sale in the Trump Tower Gift Shop - for real!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tru ... mg00000063
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Sabin wrote:Best case scenario for the midterms: the Democrats make some solid gains. Worst case scenario: they don't, and they get new leadership. Either way points to a rejuvenated party for the 2020 election.
After believing the hype that Donald Trump's chances were so slim as to be negligible last year, I don't think we can take anything for granted. The Charlottesville story has devolved into a debate about statues; Republicans are moving on to Tax Reform; and no one seems too eager to really go after the President on his faults in any sustained way. President Trump doesn't seem worried about his job being in jeopardy, as his bold pardon move clearly proves. Republicans don't want to destroy him because they still think they can get their agenda through if he's there to sign off on it, and Democrats can't do anything to him while they are out of the majority and they have a very tough midterm ahead despite Trump's overall low approval ratings. So the question is, how long can Republicans hold back their frustrations?

My guess is that there are 3 scenarios in play. 1: Republicans narrowly retain the Senate and keep the House, in which case they will be emboldened to pass as much of their agenda as possible with Democrats trying mightily to hold them off. Under this scenario, the only way to stop the runaway train would be for Robert Mueller's investigation to yield information so damaging that Republicans are forced to impeach their President or force him to resign. 2. The Democrats ride a wave of anger to win back the House, which makes it possible to impeach the President but makes conducting a Senate trial a rather awkward proposition. Even without impeachment, however, Donald Trump becomes a lame-duck president unable to pass legislation and likely having no path to persuading Republicans to renominate him in 2020. 3. President Trump makes a series of blunders over the next year, endangering Republicans for the midterms and sparking a move by the party to have him removed in some way, making Mike Pence president but creating a potentially unstable political situation for the midterms.

If #1 happens, we could be looking at the "new normal" and will see 8 years of a Trump Era, unless Mueller indicts him. If #2 happens, it is the best-case scenario for Democrats (and non-Trump supporters) because Democrats have a real uphill battle in the Senate defending a lot more seats. #3 seems unlikely although possible. Trump is almost certain to keep doing things that will drive everyone nuts, but unless Republicans start to feel that the President doesn't have their backs in terms of legislation being passed, the party will remain reluctant to really punish him for his behavior. They need him, because even if they have a fresh start without him after the midterms there is no guarantee they can win the 2020 race. So they probably feel that their best shot at passing anything is now. Ironically, they can't seem to agree on anything yet which is largely Trump's fault for not leading.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
A bit of a long read, but one I think is worthwhile. Basically makes the point that the awfulness of Trump is not distinct from the long-developing awfulness of the GOP in general.
Great read. The more you keep speaking about coalitions rising and falling, the more I like it. The only question is who picks up the torch for the next one?

I had a long conversation with a friend of mine the other day. I was in a horribly nervous mood and spoke about how long it will take before he's removed from office and Pence is put in. My friend said that he hoped that didn't happen. I vented my fears about what four years of Trump could mean for the fate of the world, and he said "Yes, but four years of Trump kills them." And I'm starting to think he may be right. If Trump serves out his term, he will have the worst average approval rating in history, they won't be able to get anything done begging the question "What, do you need a THIRD house to control?" Best case scenario for the midterms: the Democrats make some solid gains. Worst case scenario: they don't, and they get new leadership. Either way points to a rejuvenated party for the 2020 election. I don't know who's going to grab that torch but if we're all still here, I'm looking forward to it.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A bit of a long read, but one I think is worthwhile. Basically makes the point that the awfulness of Trump is not distinct from the long-developing awfulness of the GOP in general.

https://balkin.blogspot.com/2017/08/sce ... dency.html

Return to “Current Events”