Emeritus

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Post by The Original BJ »

UM. :shock:
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:Precious, do you get CNN International or some similar U.S. News channel?
Along with the BCC, CNN is only available via cable TV, which I don't subscribe to. Of course we hear the appalling daily comments Trumps on the news.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Okri wrote:FFS.
Well, looks like I posted that too soon.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious, do you get CNN International or some similar U.S. News channel?

It's mentioned all the time. The latest is that Trump won't sign a DACA agreement or any other immigration reform without funding for the wall, which is no longer expected to be paid for by Mexico. His supporters love it. After Thursday's shitstorm, he allegedly spent hours calling his supporters who backed him for telling it how it is.

I wish they'd build a wall around Trump Tower, Mira-Lago and all of Trump's other ownings and let no one in or out after an emergency evacuation order.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Any update on how the promised wall between Mexico and the US going?

Haven't seen or heard a things about it since Trumps election victory.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't think anything can top former Mexican president Vincente Fox's comment that the biggest shithole is Trump's mouth.

It won't happen, but it would be a fitting end to him to be run out of office for this and be known forevermore as "the shithole president."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I went off of Facebook today. I have a heavy and exciting work load to finish by the end of the month, and to be perfectly honest, I don't need this shit.

I am in favor of opposing President Trump at every turn, but this isn't news. It doesn't help anybody. It doesn't inform anybody. It only hurts the world. We already know President Trump is a racist. He was a racist before he ran for President, he was a racist while running for President, and he's a racist now. His comments about "shit hole countries" don't strike me as substantially more evil than saying "all Haitians have AIDS." I appreciate the desire to once and for all denounce this man as a racist instead of racially charged or vulgar in the media...but I blame the media for not doing it two years ago and cutting off his fucking mic then.

I think our President is a narcissist who feeds off of negative attention. I think he's a plenty awful person on his own, but I think social media and the presidency are a terrible mix for him.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah and everything else that happened this week. Honestly, I'm just exhausted.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:Haha, the "shit hole countries" comment?
He could be referring to just about anything from the past 48 hours. (Or 2-1/2 years, I guess.)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Haha, the "shit hole countries" comment?
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

FFS.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I was speaking of a younger Joe Biden in terms of style - it doesn't have to be a white guy or a guy at all, but it has to be someone who can appeal to voters across the spectrum. Biden at 78, Sanders at 79, Warren at 71 - following 75-year-old Trump is going to be a tough sell. 51-year-old Cory Booker would be the perfect age. 56-year-old Harris and 54-year-old Gllibrand would also be in range, but neither one is that well-known on the national stage at the moment.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
As to who emerges in 2020, it would be a mistake for the Democrats to look for another TV star, movie star or blowhard millionaire just as it would be to go for someone with a one-note agenda such as the #metoo movement. If you look at the Dems who won the top 2017 races in Virginia and Alabama, the one thing they have in common is that they're bland. Joe Biden fits the pattern, but he will be 78 on inauguration day. What they need to do is find a younger Joe Biden if one can stand out from the crowd enough to get noticed.
Why would a younger Joe Biden work if a younger Joe Biden never pulled in a single delegate in any race?

I don't think the #MeToo movement is a one-note agenda, but the left is divided right now about priorities in ways that I think some on this board might not be clued into. Whatever mental distress Trump's presidency has caused for us on this board, there are women out there who live in a state of everyday panic. And that warrants some real empathy.

In the wake of a Trump presidency, the idea of nominating another white guy seems repugnant. Which leaves candidates like Kirsten Gillibrand, Kamala Harris, and Elizabeth Warren. On the other end of the spectrum, the progressive left still sees voting for anyone who takes money as a sin. Which leaves candidates like Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and Sherrod Brown (if he can survive his reelection race, and with the knowledge that his first wife charged him with domestic abuse, I suspect he won't).

So, does that leave Elizabeth Warren? Or (obviously more likely) do we just not see the race now? I guess what I'm trying to say is the Democratic party never truly rallied behind Hillary. They had a big split down the center. And I'm afraid they're going to have more than one schism in three years.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I am so sick of hearing about this guy that I don't just want him to stop being president and the de facto leader of the free world. I want him to go away and not be heard from again.

Was it only last year when year-end news shows went through the top ten news stories of the year from all over the world? Now it's the top ten Trump stories of the year.

If the Mueller investigation concludes prior to the mid-term elections, unless there is conclusive evidence that Trump "did it", chances are the Republican congress will do nothing. Even if they do, we get Pence whose "God believes in me as much as I believe in God" bullshit is just as sickening. The only saving grace is that he won't be all over the news all the time.

If the Mueller investigation ends after the mid-terms, and the Democrats win big, it's still a gamble whether the lame duck Republicans will support impeachment - although it's possible they may as a form of revenge.

If, however, the Mueller investigation condludes once the new congress is in place with the Democrats in charge (which is not a certainty), he'll either be gone or rendered impotent when the New Democratic Congress, which will hopefully have learned its lessons, does to Trump what the Republican Congress did to Obama.

As to who emerges in 2020, it would be a mistake for the Democrats to look for another TV star, movie star or blowhard millionaire just as it would be to go for someone with a one-note agenda such as the #metoo movement. If you look at the Dems who won the top 2017 races in Virginia and Alabama, the one thing they have in common is that they're bland. Joe Biden fits the pattern, but he will be 78 on inauguration day. What they need to do is find a younger Joe Biden if one can stand out from the crowd enough to get noticed.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

At the end of 2017, it's impossible for me to think of anything besides "Well, here we are...One year into the Trump Presidency..."

This year has been awful. My only silver lining is that it's been fantastic for productivity because everyday has ground to a halt with the news cycle. And when one leaves the grid completely, turns off the internet, to work, quite a lot can get done. I could go on and on about everything that's happened during the course of the year, but increasingly one thought stays firmly in my mind...

I don't think we're going to be done with this guy in three years. I don't think he's going anywhere. I'd like to think I'm just being one of Mister Tee's Doomed Dems, woe-is-me-ing as the day is long, but I'm not sure the Democrats have taken the right lessons from the 2016 race. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure I am. I know we're in a bold new world of politics, but one thing remains the same: it doesn't seem to matter who the Republicans put on their ticket, but it does matter who we put on our ticket. Whoever the Democratic candidate is, s/he really needs to do two things: bring in independents and people of color. That's how we win. And of course, communicating a vision would be nice.

Who do we have in 2020 that does that? It's likely this person isn't on the radar yet. A governor, a congressperson, a celebrity. We don't know what we're going to be facing yet. A crash, a war, at this point I wouldn't put an alien invasion past us. So, it's impossible to know the factors that are going to be in play, but I'm scared of two things. I'm scared that Democrats are misreading the room. I'm scared that they think that the #MeToo movement, which has my full support, is the most important issue to most Americans. I think for most Americans, it might be on their top ten. But if most Americans had that big of a problem with sexual assault, I feel like Donald Trump wouldn't be the President right now. I am terrified at the idea of Donald Trump running against the #MeToo movement.*

The second thing I'm scared of is too much faith being placed on the Mueller investigation. I know Mister Tee has full confidence that it will pay off, but really, can I get odds on this thing? What about Alzheimer's and the 25th Amendment? 25% 33% It seems like Trump is pretty good at winning coin flips.

Is Congress going to really remove him? Are Democrats going to grow a spine and do it when they saw what happened to the Republicans in 1998? I worry that in the minds of those who would take action, the proper analogue isn't Watergate but rather Ken Starr. Americans didn't care that a philanderer got a blow job from an intern, and I'm not sure how much they're going to care that Trump did a quid pro quo with Russia to build a hotel there when he can shrug it off by saying "I'm a good businessman." These people just care about the economy and they're about to get a couple grand in their pockets.

I guess I'm just very concerned at the idea of dismissing Donald Trump for reelection just because he's the least popular President of all time, when being the least popular candidate of all time didn't stop him.

Anyway, one last rant for 2017. Here's hoping that by this time next year, these musings will be a quote in a much, much happier post.

* I'm terrified of Donald Trump doing it. I'm totally fine with Mike Pence doing it.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Current Events”