New Developments III

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: New Developments III

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
If you're referring to her thanking George Floyd for sacrificing his life for justice, I agree, but she did walk her comments back a half hour ago, saying that he should be alive today.
I don't care if she walked it back. Maxine Waters' comments before the verdict were very misguided but what Nancy Pelosi said was just weird.

This case is just awful though.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/15/us/adam- ... index.html
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:Is Nancy Pelosi well? What a bizarre thing to say.
If you're referring to her thanking George Floyd for sacrificing his life for justice, I agree, but she did walk her comments back a half hour ago, saying that he should be alive today.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Is Nancy Pelosi well? What a bizarre thing to say.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It's pathetic we have to feel so grateful about someone so obviously guilty being found guilty -- but, big exhale.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Derek Chauvin has been found guilty of murder and manslaughter.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Okri wrote
Atlantic article on him
Excellent article. Thank you.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Mister Tee wrote:This is a very interesting Twitter thread on Manchin's actions this week, and what it might portend regarding the filibuster and voting rights (and, eventually, minimum wage). I'm not saying I fully agree with it, but it makes a not-obvious case.

https://twitter.com/AtticusGF/status/13 ... 3371731969
Atlantic article on him
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Sabin wrote:

All we have to do is defend our six seats, which is a scary prospect. But we have mail-in ballots and a newly-winning get out the vote strategy.
Of course that's if voting rights aren't totally stripped away by then in some states.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

How much money do you think Warner Bros (?) could grift if it announced that it would stop making copies of Gone with the Wind?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This is a very interesting Twitter thread on Manchin's actions this week, and what it might portend regarding the filibuster and voting rights (and, eventually, minimum wage). I'm not saying I fully agree with it, but it makes a not-obvious case.

https://twitter.com/AtticusGF/status/13 ... 3371731969
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Joe Manchin just said he would consider requiring all filibusters to be talking filibusters, as filibusters should be "painful."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Okri wrote
Here's something I'll post from Twitter

"Whilst Republican senators staggered off to sleep after a pointless all nighter for the covid relief bill, Schumer briefly had a 2/3rds majority and called cloture on Merrick Garland!."
Oh, I saw that too. Truly remarkable and he did it with a smile.

As rumors of Mitch McConnell's early retirement continue and more and more Senators tip their hat to the same (Pat Toomey, Ron Johnson) this party looks more and more powerless as it pertains to those in government. Outside government, we know who really owns the party.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Here's something I'll post from Twitter

"Whilst Republican senators staggered off to sleep after a pointless all nighter for the covid relief bill, Schummer briefly had a 2/3rds majority and called cloture on Merrick Garland!."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Sabin wrote
Sanders hoped the prospect of voting against $15/hr might persuade the Senators to change their minds. It didn’t work. I know many people who appreciate the attempt. Let’s be honest, this measure doesn’t directly affect you like it does many, many people in this country so you might not understand. But the push also made it clear online just how passionately so many people feel about this. I also hoped that might be a tipping point, but alas, no.
What the fuck does that even mean? Of course I "understand" the need to increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour. What I don't understand is why Sanders and other thought it had to be attached to the COVID bill when all evidence was to the contrary that it could pass.
Again: I don't know. I'm just guessing. His hope was that the prospect of publicly voting against the $15/hr and having that on their record would disencourage Simena and Manchin from voting against it. And he thought it was worth a Hail Mary vs. using it as a carrot for 2024. Didn't work. Too bad.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:
Big Magilla wrote
Sorry, I'm not getting this one. On Feb 25, the Senate parliamentarian ruled that a plan to gradually increase the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2025 does not fit the complicated rules that govern budget bills in the Senate. Schumer agreed to remove it from the bill but press on with separate legislation on the minimum wage. Why did Sanders even bring it up? It only wasted more precious time.
Sanders hoped the prospect of voting against $15/hr might persuade the Senators to change their minds. It didn’t work. I know many people who appreciate the attempt. Let’s be honest, this measure doesn’t directly affect you like it does many, many people in this country so you might not understand. But the push also made it clear online just how passionately so many people feel about this. I also hoped that might be a tipping point, but alas, no.
What the fuck does that even mean? Of course I "understand" the need to increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour. What I don't understand is why Sanders and other thought it had to be attached to the COVID bill when all evidence was to the contrary that it could pass.

Return to “Current Events”