New Developments III

Greg
Tenured

Re: New Developments III

Post by Greg »

So, I just saw news about the election in the United Kingdom; and, it looks like there is a reasonable chance that Scotland will leave the United Kingdom.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Today, Trump tweeted: "So ridiculous. Greta must work on her Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill Greta, Chill!"

So, Greta responded by changing her Twitter homepage to "Greta Thunberg: a teenager working on her anger management problem. Currently chilling and watching a good old fashioned movie with a friend."

I mean, that's the world where we live in. The President of the United States mocks a sixteen year old girl with Asperger's, diminishing her fears about climate change, and she takes the higher ground in real time.

My only problem with giving Greta Thunberg the Person of the Year award is that it truly belongs to her AND the climate strikers. It's the young generation that are going to live through a dying world and are inspiring previous generations to take it more seriously. Maybe it should be Generation of the Year, those who won't survive planet death.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Greta Thunberg is Time’s Person of the Year l ABC News:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fygafn85480
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Reality is quickly putting The Onion out of business.

"The spectacle is as much a part of the work as the banana."

Performance artist eats banana duct-taped to wall that sold for $120,000:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/banana-art ... 019-12-07/
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Interesting, but not nearly as much macabre fun as this Vanity Fair article I discovered while reading it:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/10 ... ump?inline
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

"'You Don't Bring Bad News To The Cult Leader': Inside The Fall Of WeWork"

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/11 ... -of-wework

Good Lord. To everyone who says the Federal Government is wasteful, there is absolutely no way the Federal Government is anywhere near as wasteful as Wall Street and the big banks.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

On the other hand, this is typical of the same deluded old Republican bitches:

"They have already lost millions of voters, it will be a shoe in for president trump."

"We waited a long, long time to get a real President. We have to keep him. We also need to get the House back and expand the Freedom Caucus. So proud of our republican reps yesterday. !"

"The Democrats are known to "push the envelope" and don't believe in boundaries, because THEY think they are above the law."

"They're trying to get it passed where illegals can vote hoping they'll get all their votes, I pray that doesn't happen."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

THEY GOT ONE OF THEIR OWN???
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I watched Boris Johnson's acceptance speech on his elevation to British Prime Minister - had to turn it off, this guy's obvious phoniness is worse than Trump's. I swear we're living in a real-life version of The Boys from Brazil. There are at least these two Hitler clones that they didn't eradicate.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The thing about Trump's latest racist crap is that it is sticking to him. I don't care what the polls say about his approval rating going up, I know an awful lot of old white people who don't think of themselves as racists even though they're anti-immigrant and all that, but this "go back to where you came from" business has hit them in the gut. They can't and won't defend it. Whether it amounts to anything in the long run, I don't know, but let's keep it in the forefront of the news so they can't hide from the shame of their association with him.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:
Mister Tee wrote
So...Bob Mueller just rolled an unpinned grenade onto the floor of the House.
And we're not talking about it anymore. We're talking about racism. Just like we're not talking about Jeffrey Epstein anymore. We're talking about racism. Whenever anything picks up steam, we stop talking about it because of some other deplorable shitstorm he kicks up.
A couple of things about this:

Yes, we move on to talking about other things, because he keeps doing/saying awful things. Part of this is bizarro-strategic -- it's a Steve Bannon tactic that the best way to get off a damaging subject is to replace it with something even more damaging (on the theory the press wouldn't switch topics if it were less damaging), and that anything is better than keeping on one damaging topic. Think about it: in 2016, Trump had massive numbers of bad press cycles on different issues...yet maybe the most crippling issue that year was "but her emails!", which never went away.

But another part is that Trump is a narcissistic, reactive guy, who can't help himself; he'll always keep doing these things even if they hurt him. And they DO hurt him. As people keep pointing out, an empty suit serving as president with this economy would have a 55% approval rating. He can't get out of the low 40s on his good days.

Also: Epstein is NOT going away. The Southern District is on it, and things are going to get WAY worse for Trump and a lot of people. (Including a few we probably wouldn't want to be hurt.)

Finally: the unpinned grenade is still lying there, with potential to explode. To carry the metaphor to excruciating length: Bill Barr describing it as a dud lulled many into thinking the danger was past. But Mueller's appearance Wednesday still has potential to set it off. Judging by Trump's tweets, he thinks so, too.

I don't think Mueller ever expected or wanted this. He genuinely thought his good-government approach would cause good-faith activity in the House (i.e., a scrupulous impeachment inquiry). He didn't anticipate the bald-faced chicanery of Barr, or the continuing timidity of some House Democrats (who continue to cling to the antiquated notion that they have to walk on eggshells to win elections). He likely thought his brief press conference (that one that occasioned my post) would be enough of a kick in the butt to get things moving. But it was too subtle a gesture for this big-and-loud era -- as John Oliver said, he told us to impeach with his eyes, and that just didn't do the trick.

So, we have Wednesday, and two things will determine if the hearings make a difference. First, Democrats have to realize this is not a hearing like all others, and that they need to behave accordingly if they're going to have any impact. Forget about what GOPers do -- assume they'll throw sand in the gears, as usual, and trust Mueller to swat them aside; maybe assist him if absolutely necessary. But the main thing Dems need to do is abandon their usual me-me-me scattershot approach, and use their time to let Mueller tell a coherent story. Ideally with a committee counsel taking everyone's time, but, even if not, discipline must be strictly maintained. Any Dem who uses his or her time to preen for the folks back home will be telling us he doesn't care about making this process work.

The other variable is Mueller. He must see by now that his detached approach has not had its desired result. If he genuinely feels Trump is a clear and present danger to the nation (which his report suggests, between the lines), he's going to have to cast off at least a bit of his bureaucratic instinct and make clear just how high the stakes are. Everyone says that, in any normal situation, he wouldn't push the boundaries. But maybe, just maybe, seeing the Trump/Barr/McConnell corruption around him, he'll decide this is the time to be bold.

As Trump is fond of saying, We'll see what happens.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
So...Bob Mueller just rolled an unpinned grenade onto the floor of the House.
And we're not talking about it anymore. We're talking about racism. Just like we're not talking about Jeffrey Epstein anymore. We're talking about racism. Whenever anything picks up steam, we stop talking about it because of some other deplorable shitstorm he kicks up.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Morning Joe just called last night's horror show Trump's Nuremberg rally. I couldn't agree more, but it's more than time that the pundits stopped talking about his base being "old white men". It's old white men, old white women, middle-aged white men, middle-aged white women, young white men and young white women. The more vocal standing behind him last night were the young and middle-aged women - all blondes, natural and bleached. They're his Hitler youth.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Trump is trying to get Omar killed.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Mister Tee wrote:So...Bob Mueller just rolled an unpinned grenade onto the floor of the House.
Yes, and he aimed it right into Nancy Pelosi's lap. He may as well have shouted "Do your job!"

Return to “Current Events”