Everything Is Great and Amazing

mlrg
Associate

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Post by mlrg »

Just wanted to let you know that both in Portugal and Spain we are under a massive heat wave. In Lisbon the minimum temperature during all night was 90 degrees Fahrenheit and in some regions of Portugal we will reach 118 degrees, which will set an all time record in Europe. It has been reported that only Death Valley was hotter than Portugal during yesterday all around the world.

I posted this under this thread as dumb fuck Trump still says there is no global warming...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:Great, we’re bombing Iran. Why did we EVER think he’d go quietly like a bumbling fool without starting a war?
Where did you get that from?

All this blustering is obscuring the real tragedy going on right now with 650 deported asylum seekers and their children being deemed "ineligible" for reunification because they unwittingly signed away their kids when they were deported. That and the refusal of Trump and his sycophants to do anything about our cyber defenses are the real stories taking a back seat to the ongoing Trump craziness.

Is there anybody left who doubted he didn't orchestrate the Trump Tower meeting with the Russian spies? His supporters don't care and worse, they don't see anything wrong with it.

Think it can't get worse without bombing Iran or another country? Whether he stays or goes, he's already done enough damage to last for decades. It's not inconceivable that the Republicans will narrowly retain control of the House and the hideous Jim Jordan will become speaker and next in line behind Pence. That predicted blue wave can't come hard and fast enough!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Great, we’re bombing Iran. Why did we EVER think he’d go quietly like a bumbling fool without starting a war?
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Original BJ wrote
Hoo boy. Mister Tee’s belief that things were going to start to happen a lot more quickly seems to be playing out.
No kidding. I've mentioned that I have money on Trump serving out his term before on this board. This is the first time where I've thought I'd be out money. To which I say, good.

Republicans are terrified as well. Voters may like the economy (for now) but they do not like that awesome tax cut they got. Let's play a new drinking game. For every Republican that gets elected to Congress, we all take a shot. At the end of the night, we all get to drive home soberly.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Hoo boy. Mister Tee’s belief that things were going to start to happen a lot more quickly seems to be playing out.

The heap of trouble these folks are in just grows larger and larger by the day.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A post-Helsinki Reuters poll finds 55% disapprove of Trump's handling of Russia while 37% approve with 8% having no opinion.

The only question should be why isn't the disapproval rating higher?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/majority-ame ... _test=1_16
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Greg wrote:Trump's recent SCOTUS pick has written that a sitting President should never be indicted. How convenient.
Don't worry, I'm sure Kavanaugh will reverse his opinion on that issue eventually - that is, as soon as a Democratic president is elected.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I guess this is what it took to wake some people up.

Frankly, nothing in his behavior today surprised me. It was more of the same bullshit he's been selling for the last two years. What is surprising is how many people are now believing that Putin does indeed have something on him. It's treason alright, but is the outrage on the right strong enough to support removal from office?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

To elaborate (earlier, I was too stunned to go on at greater length):

I think this moment is akin to the Saturday Night Massacre during Watergate -- a scandal has already been growing for months, but this causes it to metastasize. The speechlessness and shock from the TV pundits was amazing to watch -- Trump was, to begin with, incoherent (answering questions about Russian interference with nonsense about Hilary's server), and finally close to treasonous, taking Putin's word over that of the unanimous conclusion of his own intelligence community. Mueller'sindictments last Friday had already upped the ante substantially, but this puts us into what Bill Kristol (Bill Kristol!) labeled a crisis moment.

I'm not saying this means Trump is gone in the short term. Nixon survived almost ten months post the Saturday Night Massacre. But, from the time of the Massacre onward, there was a presumption of guilt against Nixon among a majority of the population (and, though they were careful not to articulate it, the press), and it made his eventual departure a matter of when rather than if. I think we're in the same place today.

I also think it could play out a lot uglier than Watergate. Trump's supporters have been listening to the equivalent of Radio Rwanda for decades now in Fox News and right-wing radio, and many of them will deny reality to their graves. And, unhappily, many of those people have a good number of guns. I fear for the next couple of years.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Good frickin' god. Worse than we could even have imagined.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Trump's recent SCOTUS pick has written that a sitting President should never be indicted. How convenient.

"Brett Kavanaugh Was a Mistake:"

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... -gift.html
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Ah, so.

The original court was comprised of six justices. It has varied over the years, expanding and reducing the number of justices and was last changed in 1869 when it was set at 9.

We have 13 district courts so why not have 13 Supreme Court justices?

The best time to make the change would be, as Greg originally suggested, after the 2020 election when we, hopefully, will have a much more moderate, if not liberal, congress and president. Doing it while Trump and Pence are in power would be an exercise in futility.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The number of supreme court justices is not specified in the constitution, therefore, it's a legislative decision. It would probably require a veto-proof majority, though, because the R's wouldn't ever let it happen.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

The way in which the judges of the Supreme Court are appointed is not functioning properly in this political environment. No one predicted how partisan and politicized the court would become. Appointed-for-life offices don't belong to this century either. After the Electoral College, that's the second most obvious part of the U.S. Constitution that would need updating.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Wouldn't that require a constitutional amendment ratified by two thirds of of the states?

Return to “Current Events”