Skandie Best of Decade Countdown

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, I read that.

I think he's being a little too harsh on it. The Lacuna stuff is fine, serving as both integral tie-in and possessing a slew of tiny little wonderful moments like when Mark Ruffalo gives her the tapes and says "I loved you, Mary Svevo." before walking away. My only real complaint is that Kirsten Dunst only intermittently conveys the right note of adoration.
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

For the record:

@gemko: "Rewatched two films I thought I loved, found out I only like them: DESTRY RIDES AGAIN (68, was 80+) and ETERNAL SUNSHINE (73, was 83)."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I guess you're right, Eric.

Runner Up Film o' The Decade - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. One placement off.

...which means, I officially think that no. 2 is far closer to the truth than no. 1.

Best Film of the Decade - Dogville
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. In the Mood for Love
4. Mulholland Drive
5. There Will Be Blood

Best Performance of the Decade - Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
2. Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
3. Naomi Watts, Mulholland Drive
4. Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake
5. Isabelle Huppert, The Piano Teacher

Edited By Sabin on 1256750113
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Runner Up Perf o' the decade...Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain.

That means the Perf o' the decade is Daniel Day-Lewis. Now, I would rank Heath behind Mathieu Amalric for Kings & Queen and Luigi Lo Cascio for The Best of Youth, but Day-Lewis would make the bottom of my ballot of lead Male Performances. Casey Affleck, Gordon Pinsent, Josh Brolin, and Ulrich Mühe, if not also Tommy Lee Jones.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

No. 2 is In the Mood for Love.

The suspense continues! I thought that this was as sure-fire a contender for Best Film of the Decade as any. This means that most likely the Best Film of the Decade will be Dogville, with either Tropical Malady or Eternal Sunshine at No. 2.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The number three ranked performance has just been revealed as Naomi Watts, Mulholland Drive. This means that number two will undoubtably be Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood and number one will be Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain. Possibly reversed but I don't think so.

Both Dogville and In the Mood for Love will contend for the spot of Best Film of the Decade and the runner-up position, which means that number three revealed tomorrow will be either Tropical Malady or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I think both films have become two very different kinds of new classics. The Gondry for the film nerd community and the Weerasethakul for the art house/true film buff crowd. I'd be very surprised if it was anything else.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

OscarGuy wrote:
Damien wrote:
Sabin wrote:5. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
Morons
Yes, most definitely should have ranked higher. ;)
Touche!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

4. Mulholland Drive
4. Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Damien wrote:
Morons
Yes, most definitely should have ranked higher. ;)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Morons
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

5. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
5. Isabelle Huppert, The Piano Teacher
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

And the Film Comment poll (if indeed it's a poll instead of a collection of lists) will undoubtedly look like the overly considered consensus of a crusty band of snobs.

And the IMDB decade list will continue to look like a bona fide fanboy collection.

And the inevitable UAADB decade end poll will overrate Eternal Sunshine, Pan's Labyrinth and Kinsey.

What's the point?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sabin wrote:It's not a person. It's a collection of individuals that got its start on the old user.net days in the early nineties which marks it was one of the first online critics groups, which doesn't necessarily warrant validity. I personally enjoy a lot of their opinions, especially because in a tangental fashion it's a halfway integral part of online film criticism history for its traffic and impact.

Between Mike D'Angelo and the assorted members of the Skandie voting bloc there is a lot of good film criticism to read. Their awards website can be found at:

http://skandies.org/

...as I peruse my post, I'm rather pleased at how I entirely avoided any form of snarkiness to speak of.
Oh. The results look like they are self-satisfied, but not especially discerning, fan boys.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's not a person. It's a collection of individuals that got its start on the old user.net days in the early nineties which marks it was one of the first online critics groups, which doesn't necessarily warrant validity. I personally enjoy a lot of their opinions, especially because in a tangental fashion it's a halfway integral part of online film criticism history for its traffic and impact.

Between Mike D'Angelo and the assorted members of the Skandie voting bloc there is a lot of good film criticism to read. Their awards website can be found at:

http://skandies.org/

...as I peruse my post, I'm rather pleased at how I entirely avoided any form of snarkiness to speak of.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

And we should care about this person's opinions, because . . . ? ? ?

Edited By Damien on 1256083177

Return to “2000 - 2007”