Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'Dreamgirls' in a walk.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think The Departed is one of the most overhyped films of the year. Everyone is pushing it as the second coming of Scorsese and it's actually quite run of the mill.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Oh, much as I think Little Children worthless, I can't say it's been overhyped (more like a cause dropped by all except misguided fans). Gotta go with Sunshine.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I wanted to vote for Little Miss Sunshine again, which had stupendous hype coming out of Sundance . . . for some baffling reason.

But, in the end, I had to cast my vote for Bobby. Anything that gets a seven minute standing ovation at the Venice Festival and turns out to be this much of a turkey deserves this hands down.

Perhaps Italiano can provide us some valuable insight into why his countrymen drooled over this stinker.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Bobby. The hype over United 93 and Dreamgirls was more pervasive but I at least liked those films. Bobby had almost as much hype (all designed to convince us this is a serious important film.) but I didn't think it was nearly good.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Babel, which is also the year's most over-rated film, though United 93 does come a close second.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

rudeboy wrote:United 93. Efficient, unimaginative, undistinguished by the numbers filmmaking who's subject matter fooled the masses into accepting it as art.
Ditto.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

United 93. Efficient, unimaginative, undistinguished by the numbers filmmaking who's subject matter fooled the masses into accepting it as art.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

What was the most over-hyped, as opposed to over-rated, film of the year? Not the film that failed to live up to its official reviews, but the one where the on-line bloggers, print gossips and p.r. spinners had you expecting more than was there.

Return to “2000 - 2007”