No votes
5%

Total votes: 19

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Okri wrote:Whereas dubbing him Greencrap is the height of film criticism. :;):
But of course. :cool:
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Is this really the "third and final" film of the franchise?

Aren't there more books than that? Couldn't they make more movies? Did Matt Damon say that he wasn't going to do any more?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Whereas dubbing him Greencrap is the height of film criticism. :;):
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

This is how pretentious and ignorant Greencrap is about filmmaking; a recent article in the Hollywood Reporter begins:

When director Paul Greengrass and the filmmaking team made Universal Pictures' "The Bourne Ultimatum," which opens Friday, there was a deliberate effort to create a departure from other movies of the action genre by avoiding cliches.

The result was rapid cuts and a general sense of uneasiness in a high-octane thrill ride for the third and final film in the "Bourne" franchise.

...um, hasn't the entire history of action films been defined by rapid cutting and a "general sense of uneasiness"?

When I come across articles like that, I just shake my head in disbelief that critics are buying into Greencrap's shallow filmmaking.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

You can join in my assessment Pen, because here's what he says of Greengrass's work: "This is, simply put, some of the most accomplished filmmaking being done anywhere for any purpose."

Jesus Christ Superstar! That has to be the most inanely assinine and ignorant comment about film I've ever read.

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:No offense, Okri, but there are far too many other directors I admire whose films I want to see before I waste precious time on a filmmaker I loathe to the very core of my being. Hell, I'd rather watch the entire resume of Michael Bay or Brett Ratner before I watch another Greencrap film.
On some other thread I mentioned that Nathan Lee (now with the Village Voice) is probably the prime idiot among film reviewers today (and more objectionable than the usual dopes like Jeffrey Lyons and the quote whores because he fancies himself a cineaste).

You can join in my assessment Pen, because here's what he says of Greengrass's work: "This is, simply put, some of the most accomplished filmmaking being done anywhere for any purpose."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ooops, my bad.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

That's not Ed's review.

Not having seen the film, I don't know how "on the money" Paul's review is, but it is pretty much what I would expect and why I'm in no hurry to see it.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Click here.

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Where did Ed Gonzalez review it?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ed Gonzales' review is on the money.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

No offense, Okri, but there are far too many other directors I admire whose films I want to see before I waste precious time on a filmmaker I loathe to the very core of my being. Hell, I'd rather watch the entire resume of Michael Bay or Brett Ratner before I watch another Greencrap film.

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Have you seen Bloody Sunday yet? If not, please do. I think it's easily his finest film.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Penelope wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:unrelenting nervous camera movement and machine-gun cutting prove wearying more often than not

Greencrap is a thoroughly unoriginal hack. Fucking hate his films.

Quote taken out of context.
I know, and that was the point; they said the same thing about the last Bourne film and United 93 and it still annoyed the hell outta me. I mean, what's the point if you can't actually see or appreciate the film; it's a style and approach that has only a dead end in the future: if he (or his misguided devotees) follow it to its logical end, all we'll be seeing is a dazzle of images with no context, no character, no meaning.

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Penelope wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:unrelenting nervous camera movement and machine-gun cutting prove wearying more often than not

Greencrap is a thoroughly unoriginal hack. Fucking hate his films.
Quote taken out of context.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “2000 - 2007”