The Official Review Thread of 2005

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I did mention The Interpreter was the s###s, didn't I?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Crash--**1/2
...the first third was a solid two star film but when it finally kicks into gear and stops spelling things out p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y, it's actually a pretty engrossing experience, with some scenes (like Dillon pulling Newton out of the car) almost spiritual. But there's a thick membrane of irony between the audience and the characters that keep them from feeling organic. As more time goes on, I'm less and less a fan of Magnolia yet I can't say I responded to any of this as I did the strongest parts of that film; and yet, I'm very impressed that Haggis worked so many threads in a running time under two hours - and that so many of the actors found so many compelling notes to work into their characters (Terrence Howard especially). In the end, I liked quite a bit of it and admired it, but felt as though I just watched a lot of TV.

Edited By Sabin on 1115578749
"How's the despair?"
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

anonymous wrote:It's like Gladiator only not too good.
Wait....Gladiator was GOOD??
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

There's a difference, criddic. I thought he was referring to something I said and he wasn't. That's about it.

There's nothing wrong with typing conversationally, unless it sounds like cut & paste from the Junior 'Publican handbook.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I never said you said, etc. I type things in a conversational style, and it doesn't always come out how I intended.

Hmm. This sounds very familiar. Who has said this before? Oh, yeah: me. To which I was roundly criticized.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN
Cast: Orlando Bloom, Eva Green, Jeremy Irons, Brendan Gleeson, David Thewlis, Martin Csokas, Liam Neeson, Michael Sheen, Edward Norton, Ghassan Moussod, Alexander Siddig.
Dir: Ridley Scott

It's like Gladiator only not too good. The film allows for some nifty Ridley Scott-style visuals (or as I like to call it glossy gore) but any attempt of substance (themes of religious tolerance and as an allegory for the present situation in Jerusalem) falls flat and comes off as superficial just to make way for the action sequences. Bloom is adequate but does nothing to elevate the material. The film's quite entertaining nonetheless.

Oscar Prospects: Good shot at Art Direction, Costume Design and Sound. Maybe for Cinematography, Visual Effects and Makeup but the categories this year is loaded so it would be difficult.

Grade: C+
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

VERY quickly: the documentary Mondovino is a disquisition on the perils of globalization and monopolistic corporations that's far more beautiful, humane and witty than last year's snide, academic The Corporation. Loved it. But see it on the big screen!

Old Boy shoulda been called Bull ####. Yet another one of those ludicrous Pain is Art films in the 21 Grams mode, though at least its not without thematic interest. It obviously wants to be an Oedipus Rex for our times, complete with unrelieved gloom, unrelenting gore and violence, and characters struggling with an elephant-sized burden of guilt and past misdeeds. At least the weightier issues are given more than a cusory glance. Indeed, they ultimately turn out to be the driving force of the film. But it takes a loooong while to get to the heart of the matter. Until then, we get a very extended stretch of emotional despair, graphic torture and a live squid being eaten on-screen. Not quite on the level of Sophocles, I'm afraid.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I never said you said, etc. I type things in a conversational style, and it doesn't always come out how I intended.

I thought Drew was delightful as always, but I always find her charming. Fallon's role was tailor-made for John Cusak (star of another Americanized Hornby adapatation), and Fallon is such a tepid presence.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I never said it was stupid. For the most part, I agree with your assessment: it's certainly leisurely, very affectionate, and somewhat enjoyable. But it also came across as totally forgettable; even while on the screen, I was gearing up to forget the thing.

Don't know what to tell you about Fallon. Had the two leads been cast with stronger, more interesting comic actors (here's a thought: Maggie Gyllenhaal and Paul Rudd), it might've resonated more. Drew Barrymore just came across as so bland and phoned-in (maybe she was tired from all the sex she must have been having with Jimmy Fallon) that anything mildly lifting charmed me. Jimmy Fallon was fine and good, mainly though I'm just astonished he wasn't terrible. I certainly can't argue with anybody who didn't like him in the film because the guy is such a obviously marginal talent.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Really? I thought the wholly uncharasmatic Fallon was the worst thing about the film. I thought it was an enjoyable, leisurely diversion, affectionate, not stupid. But Fallon? He brings the whole thing down, playing the comic lead entirely straight with no ability to pull it off.

I can't even recognize Drew Barrymore anymore. Is it just me?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Fever Pitch--**
...I went to this movie because of the Farrelly's despite how much I dislike Jimmy Fallon's shambling slacker enthusiasm. Although I don't watch Saturday Night Live if I can prevent it, I'm so much more willing to now that he's left the Update desk. I don't like Jimmy Fallon. Somehow, he's the best thing in the film. I'm not entirely sure if the Farrelly's are to blame for the somewhat astonishing listlessness of this film, but for filmmakers that thrive on creating their own little warmly absurd universes, a Nick Hornby novel of minor obsession required a different touch. There's still plenty of lovely human moments to be found that keep me from really actively disliking the thing, the same kind of undervalued behavioral comedy that worked so well in Stuck on You and Shallow Hal.

Fallon isn't the most compelling leading man I could think of for the part (Paul Rudd would've knocked this one out of the park), but he's winningly goofy and manages to convey some real emotion. Frankly, I'm astonished. He didn't look like he'd be able to keep a straight face through the trailer for Taxi. Drew Barrymore, on the other hand, gives a monotonous, disaffected performance. When the movie ended, my girlfriend and I couldn't think of anything to say. It just began, was intermittently pleasant, and then the Sox won.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE INTERPRETER
Cast: Nicole Kidman, Sean Penn, Catherine Keener, Jesper Christiansen, Yvan Atall, Earl Cameron, George Harris, Clyde Kusatsu, Michael Wright, Eric Keenleyside, Hugo Speer, Sydney Pollack.
Dir: Sydney Pollack

Though it's by no means a masterpiece, this film is solid, non-intelligence insulting entertainment largely thanks to Kidman and Penn's performances. Not a bad way to kill two hours. Fun but smart.

Oscar Prospects: Maybe Sound and Sound Editing.

Grade: B
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE RING 2
Cast: Naomi Watts, Simon Baker, David Dorfman, Sissy Spacek, Elizabeth Perkins, Gary Cole, Ryan Merriman, Emily Van Camp.
Dir: Hideo Nakata

I liked it better than I thought I would. The original Japanese Ringu was a contemporary masterpiece, IMO (scared the crap out of me). It's Japanese sequel wasn't as good (doesn't help that the climax of the flick was pretty preposterous.) The American remake is a glossy, inferior Westernized imitation. Though the sequel to the American remake is nowhere near as good as Nakata's original, it is better than Ringu 2 or The Ring. The script's mediocre but the good acting and Nakata's inventive visual flourishes help create moments of genuine creepiness. All in all, an okay film.

Oscar Prospects: None.

Grade: B-
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Frontrunner for Damien's Sominex award of 2005: Melinda and Melinda.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

We all have been spoiled by PIXAR. I doubt that studio would ever have a script with dialogue containing the phrase "musical arm farts," or a diva dance by the Robin Williams character to Britney Spears's "Baby, One More Time." Oy. I'm beyond tired of seeing another animated movie trying so hard to be "hip." I liked the first Shrek well enough (although it's become very dated FAST), but the motto behind recent PDI and Blue Sky endeavors like Shark Tale and Robots seems to be 1) reference everything you can under the sun and 2) smother it all with an overbearing soundtrack full of dated pop songs, no matter how inappropriate. Robots is awful, and I'm sure Madagascar will be too. At least there's a Miyazaki on the way this year to show 'em how it's REALLY done. Grade for Robots: **, because, yes, there are some nice visual flourishes, and a couple inventive set pieces.

Return to “2000 - 2007”