No votes
1/2 *
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 35

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Just watched it tonight, and it is a solid *** film. I feel like everything I had to say was already said here.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Clooney is good.

The film is strictly **.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I was surprised that it wasn't boring, which is what I got from the ads. Clooney was actually very good. I don't think best picture, but it was good.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

***1/2. Very entertaining. All-but weightless.
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Don't take this the right way Greg -- and I don't mean to get all ghetto on your ass -- but why are you always all up in my grill?

Edited By Akash on 1203137275
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Akash wrote:So despite my awful taste in clothes (or so says Steph...and Jase)
Well, maybe if you gained more practice in wearing them. . .
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'll say this for Keira in Atonement -- that dress was hot.* And now well on its way to iconic. I think "Keira Green" should enter the pop-culture lexicon as a useful description, just like "Gwyneth Pink" in 1999.

* One of my closest friends, Jason (we've been friends since we were eight years old, our parents know each other) is going through a rough time, so he's staying with me in NY for a while. My couch is his temporary home. He's gay, and he made me watch a marathon of this season's Project Runway.** So despite my awful taste in clothes*** (or so says Steph...and Jase), I think I'm sort of qualified to rate Keira's dress in the film. Oh, and I'm pretty sure Jase came up with "Gwyneth Pink."

** Project Runway remains the gayest thing I've ever seen.

*** To bring things back to Michael Clayton, Tilda Swinton has possibly worse taste in clothes than I do. Love her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_DgP50YWrs

Edited By Akash on 1203106223
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I agree with most of you. *** stars.
As for Keira I like her so much!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Steph2 wrote:In fact Keira Knightley's presence in any film automatically means it's starting out with a less than perfect rating.
I'll never understand the hate for Kiera Knightley; yes, she's not the greatest actress, but she's certainly more than competent, and at least she's contributing something good to society, unlike the Britney's and Paris's of the world who are just parasites on humanity. Please, reserve your ire for people who deserve it, like George W. Bush or Hilary Swank.

:;):
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Edited By flipp525 on 1201308986
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Steph2 wrote:In fact Keira Knightley's presence in any film automatically means it's starting out with a less than perfect rating.
:)
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

ITALIANO wrote:Same for Atonement, a movie which I didn't dislike by the way... four stars?! It's just wrong.
On this we agree. Giving Atonement four stars is just wrong.

In fact Keira Knightley's presence in any film automatically means it's starting out with a less than perfect rating.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Yes, I know, but if we use something as mathematical as a "star rating", even just for fun, we must do it with a sense of proportions I think, otherwise I don't see the point. Same for Atonement, a movie which I didn't dislike by the way... four stars?! It's just wrong.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Oh it's ok OG, I mean the titles are pretty clear, you're right. We just get stupid sometimes -- or I do anyway :p

And Italiano, I don't think rating a film along something as arbitrary as a "star rating" makes it in any way a useful comparison to another film. This is more of a fun exercise but it should in no way replace actual analysis or film criticism.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Probably My fault, Steph. I should have posted a separate: How to Read thread...but in my defense, each thread starts off by saying what you're supposed to do.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “2000 - 2007”