That Wild Super Bowl

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: That Wild Super Bowl

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:It was a stupid play call because it backfired. Had it worked out, Chris Collinworth would've called it a "gutsy call".

Regardless, in this era of classic Super Bowl matchups ('14's Seahawks/Broncos excepted), it was great to see the Big Game live up to its hype yet again. Congratulations to New England fans.
To be fair to Collinsworth, he didn't second-guess the play-call, he first-guessed it -- as soon as the Seahawks got within range, he said, You just give it to Lynch over and over.

Though, to your point, The Seahawks (presumably the offensive coordinator) had also made an unconventional call when they went for the touchdown rather than the field goal just before the half, and that one paid off (it would have been the difference in the game, had the Seahawks made that final TD).

I never congratulate New England fans; they always do more than enough of that themselves.

Best comment on the game -- someone on Twitter posted the kid from the Nationwide ad, saying "I'd have given the ball to Lynch...but I'm dead".
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It took 49 years for me to watch a Super Bowl from start to finish but I sure picked a good one.

There wasn't a dull moment on the field but those announcers annoyed me as they played up one team and played down the other depending which team was ahead at any given moment.

I was unimpressed with the commercials and half-time show.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

It was a stupid play call because it backfired. Had it worked out, Chris Collinworth would've called it a "gutsy call".

Regardless, in this era of classic Super Bowl matchups ('14's Seahawks/Broncos excepted), it was great to see the Big Game live up to its hype yet again. Congratulations to New England fans.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

That Wild Super Bowl

Post by Mister Tee »

Don't know if we even have many football fans here, let alone Patriots/Seahawks fans, but, man, that game and that finish...

First a miracle catch that would have gone into the permanent memory book, seeming to set up the Seahawks to win (and the Patriots to feel like they've had worse luck in the Super Bowl than any team ever)...and then the most incomprehensibly stupid play-call many of us can remember, resulting in the Patriots winning after all.

Followed by the media in full-stroke mode for Brady/Bellichick (toss that ball-deflating story aside!).

Memorable, if nothing else.

Return to “General Off-Topic”