English Premier League

Bog
Assistant

Re: English Premier League

Post by Bog »

With the supreme hangover big time Chelsea suffered despite having a big time manager, pushing him out after 1/3 of the way after accumulating 87 points...I'd be wary the summer, Europe schedule, and new stardom might not bode well...so hard to repeat even a Champions League qualifying club in such a competitive league.

They are fun to watch...seemingly having the killer instinct my Gunners have lacked for the many recent years of "happy to finish 3rd/4th"...naturally we pulled the double on the Foxes.

"Fun" stat:
Leicester City resume since Arsenal last won BPL
1) Relegated from BPL
2) Relegated from Championship
3) Won League One
4) Won Championship
5) Won BPL

Impressive feat
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

a) Spurs are my number two team and I was rooting for them equally at the end because they have such a wonderful collection of players (I prefer watching them to Leicester, to be honest) but that was really wonderful to behold.

b) This season has been awesome. I'm loving Klopp at Liverpool. The man who said Ranieri had "“the mentality of someone who doesn’t need to win” got fired the season Ranieri took his team to the top. Harry Kane staring down the sophomore season jinx in the face to end the season as one of the top three scorers (maybe top?). Vardy breaking van Nistelroy's record.

c) I can't tell if it's going to be a sign of things to come (how long will the King Power crew be able to keep Leicester together? Vardy ain't leaving, but what about the Kante, Mahrez, etc). The new TV deal means that teams can be more aggressive, but that's true for all teams now.

d) I wonder just how they'll do in the Champions League.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Heksagon wrote:Leicester winning the Premier League is perhaps the biggest upset in fully professional sports ever. They also manage do it with a veteran coach who has had a reputation as an underachiever. Perfect Hollywood material.
The fact that Tom Hanks betted 100 bucks last September that Leicester would win the premier league and just won 650.000 for it is also Hollywood material :D
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Leicester winning the Premier League is perhaps the biggest upset in fully professional sports ever. They also manage do it with a veteran coach who has had a reputation as an underachiever. Perfect Hollywood material.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I'm only 24, but I think I can safely say this is the biggest Cinderella story in sports history. I'm a Spurs fan, but I wouldn't want to see anything other than the Foxes atop. What an incredible season.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

It actually happened. Wow.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

I don't come here often enough these days - didn't realize there were so many Premier League fans here. Well, more than two anyway.

(I follow Arsenal.)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Bog wrote:
mlrg wrote:If you like to follow european football just write a name down: William Carvalho. He is a Sporting midfielder and at just 22 he has been called as the next Patrick Vieira.
Apparently he was this close to being a Gunner at the transfer deadline...but to no avail. Sure seems he'd be a bright spot amidst the incessant Arsenal injury bug and the professor's stale scheming. How is his Sporting relationship through the early parts of this new season both Primeira and Champions? Will his name be floating all January as well? I see your boys have the draw bug like my squad...deflating!
Well, Sporting really did a great job in holding him for one more season (or at least until the January market window). Sporting really needs cash and apparently they refused a 25 million euros offer from Arsenal.

On the other hand I think William Carvalho really wanted to leave. The fact that he stayed had a psychological impact on him and his first games during the league he played miserably. But he’s returning to top form and this weekend my beloved Sporting beat Porto 3-1 at Porto’s home and William played tremendously well. Let’s see how he plays tomorrow in the champions league match against Shalke04.

However, there is speculation that AC Milan already has an agreement to buy him in January.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

mlrg wrote:If you like to follow european football just write a name down: William Carvalho. He is a Sporting midfielder and at just 22 he has been called as the next Patrick Vieira.
Apparently he was this close to being a Gunner at the transfer deadline...but to no avail. Sure seems he'd be a bright spot amidst the incessant Arsenal injury bug and the professor's stale scheming. How is his Sporting relationship through the early parts of this new season both Primeira and Champions? Will his name be floating all January as well? I see your boys have the draw bug like my squad...deflating!
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

ksrymy wrote:Congrats to Atlético for being the first team non-Barca/Real team to win La Liga since Valencia in '04.
And next saturday Atletico and Real will play the european champions league final in my hometown :)
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Congrats to Atlético for being the first team non-Barca/Real team to win La Liga since Valencia in '04.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I know now why you see so many movies - and I appreciate it. That helps, I'm sure. In the future, when you have the money of course, going somewhere else, even just for some time (and not necessarily in the US), could help even more.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

ITALIANO wrote:
ksrymy wrote:
And I'm 100% confident in my sexuality - I'm simply just stating that AVB is a handsome, handsome man. Every man knows when another man is handsome; in today's world though, if you mention it, you get branded as gay. This could just be among the conservative, collegiate population I'm surrounded by though.
I was joking - though there's nothing wrong in NOT being confident about our sexuality, especially when we are very young. And as you say, there's nothing wrong in knowing that someone is handsome, even if he or she doesn't belong to the sex we are supposed to be attracted to. I dont know where you live, but yes, I guess you arent surrounded by the most open minded people :D
I attend Kansas State University right now, and we happen to be one of the few campuses in the nation that is more conservative than liberal student-wise. In fall in the "I think both sides have good ideas, but neither are inherently all that great" camp. Then again, my vote doesn't really count for anything due to the electoral college.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

ksrymy wrote:
And I'm 100% confident in my sexuality - I'm simply just stating that AVB is a handsome, handsome man. Every man knows when another man is handsome; in today's world though, if you mention it, you get branded as gay. This could just be among the conservative, collegiate population I'm surrounded by though.
I was joking - though there's nothing wrong in NOT being confident about our sexuality, especially when we are very young. And as you say, there's nothing wrong in knowing that someone is handsome, even if he or she doesn't belong to the sex we are supposed to be attracted to. I dont know where you live, but yes, I guess you arent surrounded by the most open minded people :D
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

ITALIANO wrote:
ksrymy wrote:AVB may be a bust, but he makes me question my sexuality at times.

Oh don't worry. From my experience, most Americans fully realize what their sexuality is when they are in their 30s or even 40s. You have time. :)

How do you put photos in your posts by the way? I've tried to, but unsuccessfully.
Use the Img button above the typing area next to URL and put in the link to a picture.

Return to “General Off-Topic”