Associate

Re: 1 out 5 Americans is a moron

Post by mlrg »

My country in one sentence

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I don't know if it was a serious poll, but even if it was - you'd probably get crazy answers in other countries, too, especially if people of any age and social background are considered (as it should be in any serious poll).

Plus, technology is important, ok. But the problem with Americans isn't that they don't know much about technology - it's that they don't know much about geography, history, art, etc. I'm talking generally, of course, not about specific individuals. But let's say that over the years I've done my personal polls... :)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Paging Marco :)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

... and Portugal is a country in South America
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

A coupon website.

COUPON. WEBSITE.

The people who use those are either older than technology itself or unbelievably cheap, trashy redneck types.

And these were obviously multiple choice - I have a hard time believing so many stupid answers were somehow a sort of consensus. What more, the people who took this might have just clicked randomly on answers to get through to what they were actually trying to do. That or purposefully picking the dumbest answers.

This is some bullshit.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Does this really deserve its own thread?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And when this study is revealed to be a fake, who are the real morons?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1 out 5 Americans is a moron

Post by Big Magilla »

1 in 5 Americans think Blu-Ray is a sea creature: study
By News.com.au
March 5, 2014 | 12:03pm

Maybe think twice the next time you try to talk tech.

A study has found that one in five Americans think that a Blu-ray is a sea animal, and one in 10 think the coding language to build websites, HTML, is a type of sexually transmitted infection.

The study was conducted by Vouchercloud.net, a coupons website looking to see how well its users know their tech jargon.

A spokeswoman for the company told the LA Times: “It seems that quite a few of us need to brush up on our tech definitions.”

On top of the hilarity of the HTML and Blu-ray confusions, there were a few more humorous findings.

— Nearly half thought that a “motherboard” was “the deck of a cruise ship,” not the main circuit board of a computer.

— A quarter thought that the measurement unit “gigabyte” was an insect commonly found in South America.

— Nearly a quarter believed that the audio format “MP3” was a “Star Wars” robot.

— 15 percent thought that a computer program, or “software,” was what you call comfortable clothing.

— 12 percent answered that “USB” is an acronym for a European country — not a connection port on your computer.

Ironically, 61 percent of those surveyed believed that having good tech knowledge was extremely important.

This article originally appeared on News.com.au.

Return to “General Off-Topic”