Happy Thanksgiving 2012

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2012

Post by Sonic Youth »

The preparation leading up to the big day left a few battle scars, but the end result was great. And the weather couldn't have been better.

By the way, Mrs. Sonic makes a mean turkey (brined) and sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes with dill and (for the benefit of our Indian family members) spinach kofta and vegetable fried rice. I made roasted carrots with sage, Brussels sprouts with mushrooms and wheat gnocchi, a salad of sliced apples and celery root with mustard vinagrette, and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Other family members with mad cooking skillz brought cranberry sauce, cranberry strudel and homemade pumpkin pie. And let's not forget the cheese platter, crackers with clam dip and artichoke dip. Anyone want to join us next year? :)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sonic, we are hosting Thanksgiving for the second year now too...guess we are just all growing up and becoming real adults:)

Thank you all, dear friends, for my favorite Internet home. And we should all be thankful that Thanksgiving is here again, so our favorite season can now begin!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The single thing I have most to be thankful for this year is coming through Hurricane Sandy and the nor'easter/snowstorm of a week later unscathed. In a community of 145 houses where 101 trees were lost - 35 on common ground; 66 belonging to residents I didn't even lose a single branch. Of course it helps that I only have one tree vs. an average of four for everybody else, but that's another story.

And of course, you guys, though I wish more of those who have drifted away would come back and say something, not just lurk periodically.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Many happy returns of the day. We hosted our first big Thanksgiving party last year, and because things went so well and so smoothly we're doing it again next year. Big mistake... and it's not even Thursday yet. Oh well...

Regardless, I have a lot to be thankful for, and after so many years this group is still one of them. I've not put much time into it lately.* But it's always a nice haven to return to, even if I have nothing to say. I hope everyone has a peaceful holiday and lots of happiness.... and great food. Can't forget the food! Tomorrow, I'll be thankful for protein. Lots of protein.

*I've seen several movies recently and not written about them (you're all waiting for my Dark Knight rises review, I'm sure); I've not given my thoughts about the recent election and its ramifications (no, it's not the end of the GOP, but the Tea Party had its teabags cut off and they're not gonna grow back) - but after reading Mister Tee's summation, nothing I could say would be all that illuminating; and I've not mentioned that the minute I saw 'Life of Pi' slapped with a PG rating I knew Best Picture was going to 'Lincoln' instead. If it's PG, it means that all the gory violence was cut, and what else was softened along with it? The satirical jabs at organized religion?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Happy Thanksgiving 2012

Post by Mister Tee »

Apart from Barack being re-signed as president, I can't come up with alot to be thankful for this go-round. But one positive in my life remains this board and its assortment (shrinking though it be) of engaging, stimulating characters. So -- a very happy holiday for those of you USers who celebrate it, and anyone else who cares to share the spirit.

Return to “General Off-Topic”