College Football

dws1982
Emeritus

Re: College Football

Post by dws1982 »

This year's Alabama/LSU game was nowhere near as hyped as last year's, but it was a much better game. At least in terms of what you expect in a good football game--tension (unbearable), back-and-forth in terms of score leaders and who has the advantage. And my team won in the end!

On offense, we nearly beat ourselves (except when it counted) with bad play calling and execution, and on defense, we got outplayed. It's totally unacceptable to have LSU take that fumble recovery 90 yards back down the field for a touchdown, especially when we're supposed to be the number one defense in the nation. I get that the defense was tired when it got on into the second half (LSU had a much higher time of possession) but there were plenty of missed tackles and silly mistakes all through the game that got them in that position.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

What a weekend for college football! Not only did Oklahoma State go down, Oregon and Oklahoma both did as well! OK State and Oregon both went down to teams that aren't even BCS ranked. (USC would be if they weren't under penalty though.) So now we're looking at a top three of LSU, Alabama, and Arkansas--probably (not sure though), the first time in BCS rankings where the top three teams are all from the same division of the same conference.

A AL/LSU rematch in the NC Game looks more and more likely. (And I don't really know how I feel about rematches, Bog...never given it much thought. I guess I like it if it benefits my team. But I do think that there should be some type of playoff system or something.) Alabama definitely needs to beat Auburn next week, and I think they will, although that game is usually a little more tight than you would expect it to be. The real strange scenario next weekend would be if Arkansas managed to beat LSU. Not sure what would happen then, because you would have Alabama's only loss being LSU, Arkansas's only loss being Bama, and LSU's only loss being Arkansas. Not much doubt that Bama and LSU are the two best teams in the country, but I'm not sure what would happen if that happened. And with the way teams have been falling, who knows? Maybe it will happen.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

And while this hasn't been a banner year for my Buckeyes by any stretch of the imagination...bring on Urban Meyer and we'll enter right back into the year in year out discussion.

I see no reason to believe the SEC won't keep the streak alive now, I didn't buy (the other) OSU at all, but did think if they ran the table had a chance to possibly outscore LSU, it being one game and all.

Daniel, how do you feel about rematches in the title game?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

And with Oklahoma State's big upset loss to Iowa State, Bama definitely goes back in the National Championship discussion. There's still Oregon to worry about (whose only loss was also to LSU), and Oklahoma (who won't look as impressive beating Oklahoma State as they would have if OK State had won yesterday), but it sounds like a good showdown.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The Penn State sex scandal has overshadowed all college football news for the week. With Paterno (deservedly--or not...getting fired was probably better than he deserved) out the door, along with several other high-ranking officials at Penn State, I think it would be a good idea for them to suspend their football program for a few years. And if they don't, then the NCAA should step in. The "lack of institutional control" predicate that is part of the NCAA's "Death Penalty" is pretty well exemplified by what went on here.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Personally, I found the 9-6 LSU win over Alabama to be exciting and enjoyable :wink:

P.S. Oklahoma State would never put up anything remotely close to 52 points on LSU or Bama. And if they let Kansas State score 45 on them, LSU's or Bama's offense will have little trouble with them. They probably won't score 45 points because they won;t have to. Either team will grind it out with drives keeping the Cowboys defense on the field the entire game. They would build up a comfortable lead while OSU's offensive and defensive lines are battered and bruised.

That is just my unbiased opinion.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I must be too crazy or maybe old school...give me a 9-6 amazing defensive struggle between 2 teams that could possibly hold some NFL teams to single digits any day of the week over that batshit crazy 97 point Kansas State- Oklahoma State game, especially Saturdays and Sundays. Totally lived up to the game of the century for me, and made me realize Oklahoma State or Stanford will get bitch slapped by LSU...can't wait for that too. Now here's hoping the Pittsburgh-Baltimore encore tonight doesn't disappoint (me) either!

Sorry your team didn't pull it off , Daniel...be proud, great team having a great year still...and much better than us Buckeyes up here in Nick Saban's homeland
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

It was a boring game, especially considering the way it ended. Bama needs to work on special teams. Roll Tide anyway!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The fierce matchup of LSU and 'Bama is the biggest game of the season, the Game of the Centuryyyyyy!!!!!!

God, what a fucking boring game this is.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

College Football

Post by dws1982 »

Can't remember the last season that was this interesting.

And tonight is the game of the year, the National Championship in November (does anyone think that the winner of this game WON'T be the National Champion come January?), as top ranked LSU takes on second-ranked Alabama in Tuscaloosa. ROLL TIDE!

Return to “General Off-Topic”