Memory Lane: UAADB circa 1999-2000 - The 'Inside the Web' days

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

cam wrote:And what happened to our resident editor? His wife was on one film; he was with another. Neither won, I remember. I think he was called "editman".
I think he left after everyone trashed Chocolat--a film he and his wife both worked on--so thoroughly the following year.

So...all this discussion of the old UAADB, and no mention yet of JLS? His was the first of many message board meltdowns that I've witnessed over the years.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ah...the flame wars...I remember this one person was flaming me by email because I refused to give Keisha Castle-Hughes better odds at winning...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Will you EVER forget Chloe Sevigny's dreadful cousin? I thought he/she--I think it must have been a she--no man could be that one-tracked.( except maybe criddic3, who, I think, appeared after he was caught as "criddic") Was it Bernadette? If so, I remember someone named Bernadette who had some interesting things to say, but I may be wrong. I think I told the cousin at one time to F---off, as she was so annoying. Could have been the reason for of Chloe losing.
And what happened to our resident editor? His wife was on one film; he was with another. Neither won, I remember. I think he was called "editman".
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Bernadette really was Chloe's cousin. I checked out her credentials. She had some minor film credits herself. Can't remember if her real name was Bernadette, though.

I still have no recellection of Little Miss Gumdrop. Maybe I blocket it out.

I miss patiff, arguments and all. He did post here in 2005. Bliss66 never registered unless it was under a different name.

Weebot registered here in 2003 and updated his profile in 2005, but has never posted. The link to his blog was on the previous board. I wouldn't know how to get in touch with him.

So many have come and gone, but we have our little loyal core that continues to grow. May we keep it that way at least until the 100th annual Academy Awards.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Chloe Sevigny's alleged cousin, I remember, was Bernadette.

I thought Sweet Little Miss Gum Drop was a hoot. He/she wasn't strictly a troll, because he/she engaged in legitimate film discussions. And he/she was something of an anti-troll troll, mocking anyone who wasn't deemed intelligent or polite. He/she refused to cross over to the new board when Inside the Web closed shop. And just before we saw the last of him/her, he/she became very flirtatious towards me, which made me very uncomfortable.

And then there was Bliss66. VERY intelligent, very knowledgable. But get on his bad side (not hard to do), and he was super-vicious. I liked him and I'm sorry he's gone. Then again, I did manage somehow to never get on his bad side.

I liked patiff and his, shall we say, frank manner of speaking. Every once in a while, the calm waters of the board needed a mild roiling.

I know Dennis Bee was also a contributor back then, and so were others who have since changed their screen names. I just can't remember what they were.

Pedro, Pepe... Sorry. It was so long ago, who can remember?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Wow, seeing those brings back memories. I joined right after the second screen shot (like Sept or Oct 2000...right after I got to college). I can't believe it has been that long!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've been here since this beginning. I'm so amazed at my longevity! ;)

The links don't work anymore, so I'm curious how that even still manages to exist...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Sweet Little Miss Gumdrop, I believe, was our resident troll who a lot of us found really annoying (I think). The specifics I can't really remember.

This is the very first message board I have ever joined in the internet period. I'm serious. I've been using the net for around a year or two at that point. You guys are the ones I have to blame for getting me hooked on this shit. LOL. I think I joined around early 1999, if my memory serves me right because it's the 1999 Oscars I first started predicting on-line.

Damien, Big Magilla and Zach are also people I owe a debt of thanks for inspiring me to expand my cinematic pallette.

Whatever the hell happened to Weebot? He's always one of the most intelligent posters we had (and so young too). If anyone can link me to him, please do. Thanks.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Who the hell was Sweet Little Miss Gumdrop? I don't remember her at all. Nor do I remember someone calling himself Dragonballs.

Yamil came back only to be driven away. Scarlet promised to come back but never did. I found WeeBot's blog at one point. He was very depressed after the death of his grandmother. I hope he's alright.

Ah, yes, patiff, he sure could drive a person crazy without much effort. I also remember lengthy discussions between him and Chloe Sevigny's cousin who disappeared after Chloe lost the Oscar to Angelina.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I don't know who pedro is; I went by Pepe before I become Penelope, and I'm actually there as Penelope -- almost at the bottom, you'll see "Peyton Place Score" (Penelope).

I believe I started posting in 1999, right around the time of The Blair Witch Project.

I miss many of those you mention, but I'm glad that so many of us have stuck around through the years, remained friends despite our often heated arguments, and welcomed new friends into the fold.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I posted this several years ago on the previous UAADB incarnation, but here it is again. I found two screenshots of Oscar Guy's message board in its original format.

The Unofficial Academy Awards Message Board: Apr.-May, 1999

This is even before my time... but not before Big Magilla's, Damien's, ITALIANO's, Uri's, cam's, Kelly's (now Mike Kelly), and DWS's (now dws1982) time.

The Unofficial Academy Awards Message Board: Aug. 2000

And here's Tree18, Zach (now Johnny Guitar), Precious (I assume that's Precious Doll), Mashari, Sabin, anonymous, Eric H. (now Eric), pedro (now Penelope), kaytodd, rain Bard, kova, Mister Tee, and me.

Lets give a shout-out to ocassional lurkers Leeder, sijmen (of the ever-popular Sijmen's Oscar experiment), and The Apostle aka Ed Gonzales, founder of Slant Magazine.

And let's give a moment of silence to once-regulars John Harkness, Matt Mazur, WeeBot, Hudster734 (who always ran the Oscar contests), patiff (who always drove Magilla crazy), and how could we forget Sweet Little Miss Gum Drop?

Ah, the good ol' days.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “General Off-Topic”