Memory Lane: UAADB circa 1999-2000 - The 'Inside the Web' days

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

This reminiscing has somehow reminded me of when Yanhill returned and started a debate as to whether or not a scene in The Aviator showed a glimpse of Leonardo DiCaprio's pubic hair.
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

rain Bard wrote:
Leeder wrote:What, I recommended The Monster Club? Yikes.

Actually a pretty tasteful list, though The Reflecting Skin and Habit are probably way too high. Blood for Dracula and Black Sunday are definitely missing (certainly the latter I probably had not seen at the time).

I don't have the printout in front of me now, but I think you said of the Monster Club something like "actually not very well made, but anything with John Carradine and Vincent Price in the same scene can't be all bad."

And you did qualify that you hadn't yet seen Black Sunday.
True enough. The Monster Club is the kind of very bad film I'd nevertheless happily see again.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Leeder wrote:What, I recommended The Monster Club? Yikes.

Actually a pretty tasteful list, though The Reflecting Skin and Habit are probably way too high. Blood for Dracula and Black Sunday are definitely missing (certainly the latter I probably had not seen at the time).
I don't have the printout in front of me now, but I think you said of the Monster Club something like "actually not very well made, but anything with John Carradine and Vincent Price in the same scene can't be all bad."

And you did qualify that you hadn't yet seen Black Sunday.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sadly yes, Sonic.

Although I've directed two soon-to-be-festival pieces and have written the screenplay for a Ray Bradbury adaptation that has already premiered and yet through some fluke of protocol imdb will not list, I am credited as 'Daniel Baldwin's Stand-In' on a movie called 'Devil's Dominoes'. Don't ask.
"How's the despair?"
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

rain Bard wrote:1. Nosferatu (1922)
2. Vampyr
3. Dracula's Daughter
4. Dracula (1931 Spanish-language version)
5. Martin
6. the Reflecting Skin
7. Habit
8. Daughters of Darkness
9. Near Dark
10. Horror of Dracula

You also recommended: Dracula (1931, English-language version), Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Fright Night, Cronos, Return of the Vampire, Blacula, the Hunger, the Lost Boys, Interview with a Vampire, Kiss of the Vampire, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Roses, Lake of Dracula, the Monster Club.
What, I recommended The Monster Club? Yikes.

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

If you're ever location filming in central Pennsylvania and need someone who's caught the acting bug, I'm your man. Best of luck.

Do you have an imdb profile yet?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Congratulations Sabin...although this great city of Chicago will surely miss you.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Congratulations, Sabin, well-deserved, I'm sure!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

…oh, twist my arm, I’ll seize this thread for a personal announcement. I’m graduating Columbia College this May and heading out to Los Angeles. More of note, that short film I brought up that I was shooting called ‘Runaways’…I’m shooting it tomorrow night beginning at 7:00 PM. It’s five nights, dusk to dawn, on 16mm. After which, I do up another advanced scene study project in a week and then take a nice, fat dump on the graduation stage at Navy Pier on the 11th of May.

It has been an extremely bumpy ride and writing profane messages on this board has certainly been a refuge of sorts, a rather invaluable one. I wasn’t getting anything out of the two and a half years at the U of A. I think that was my first attempt at leaving this board. It was a disaster. Nothing creative to do whatsoever. Painful, really painful. I was 230 pounds. Just a big fat fat-fat. Then I went home to Phoenix and Scottsdale Community College. I directed a couple horrible short films but really didn’t learn terribly much.

Then I went to Columbia and did two short films in the first year. One was nothing of consequence, and the other was a Production II film on 16mm called ‘Penis Problems’ about a young man who discovers a plant growing out of his penis uncontrollably. He becomes a tree. It’s scored entirely to the ‘In the Mood for Love’ soundtrack. All the while, I was the assistant unit production manager on a horrible short film that cost a hundred grand, so I was spread pretty thin. I moved on to assistant unit produce another film that cost even more while taking intensive directing, cinematography, and screenwriting classes. It was painful. Again: I had no time to do anything creative with my tasks at hand and I floundered. I lost my girlfriend at the time, painfully so, and I think I got pretty fat again. Following the summer of 2005 where I directed ‘Penis Problems’, I would not direct again for over a year. There’s a thread here.

Last November, I directed a short film on 35mm called ‘Old People Are Scary’ which is due for pickups this coming June, and a digital short called ‘Balls!’. I took a month off when ‘Runaways’ got pushed back until tomorrow to drown my sorrows in old fashioneds and do some writing, and then I directed a digital short called ‘Second Best Men’, an untitled 16mm Special Studies I, and now ‘Runaways’ and an untitled digital vampire short for my advanced directing class and graduate. I’ve also penned two features.

This past half year is noteworthy for me because I pulled myself out of a total creative tailspin and will have directed six short films in as many months. I have seventeen hour days and have never been happier.

I’d like to apologize to anyone and everyone I’ve fallen out of touch with over the years. I’ve either got too much on my plate or all-things-considered not nearly enough to manage correspondence. Nothing personal. I’d like to thank Damien and Big Magilla especially for reading my horrifyingly ill-structured and ill-intented screenplays of yesteryear. You’re dears.

Leeder, I had no idea such flirtations were occurring as I was fairly oblivious at the time and really barely a person. I’m sure you had a good deal of heartbreak as Lord knows we all do from time to time, but – and I mean this in the most positive way – for whatever it’s worth…Word.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Patiff was harmless. He had his own site which ceased predicting in 1999 or 2000, I believe. He always made this dubious proclamations about himself that were fairly weightless. He never made a huge impression outside of that.

I think I started up here in either late '98 or early '99. I think probably early '99, because everybody was predicting Benigni for a win and I couldn't believe it. So young.

Worthless little tiddlebit: I recall participating in a poll asking which was better, 'Election' or 'Rushmore' and I said something to the effect that I didn't like either one of them as much as critic's claimed because they were too "alienating". I later gave 'American Pie' four stars. Memories.

Have I really been around you people for eight years? Eight years?! Forget high school reunion, this is middle school, junior high, and high school. Christ! I genuinely can't believe it. How many times have I left?

Also, Svengali was pretty bad.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rain Bard wrote:1. Nosferatu (1922)
a.k.a. The Unauthorized Biography of Phil Stacey
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Leeder wrote:I'd be fascinated to know what's on that list.
Twist my arm!

Actually it didn't take much digging to find, and ought to be quick enough to type up. I'm leaving out your brief justifications, but if you're curious to see those too let me know.

1. Nosferatu (1922)
2. Vampyr
3. Dracula's Daughter
4. Dracula (1931 Spanish-language version)
5. Martin
6. the Reflecting Skin
7. Habit
8. Daughters of Darkness
9. Near Dark
10. Horror of Dracula

You also recommended: Dracula (1931, English-language version), Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Fright Night, Cronos, Return of the Vampire, Blacula, the Hunger, the Lost Boys, Interview with a Vampire, Kiss of the Vampire, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Roses, Lake of Dracula, the Monster Club.

John Harkness added Nadja and The Addiction.

the Apostle mentioned Blood For Dracula.

Big Magilla chimed in with Son of Dracula, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Black Sunday.

This was all back in January of 2001 when Shadow of a Vampire was still in theatres. Since then I've tracked down fewer of these suggestions than I'd like to admit, but it's nice to have on file in case I suddenly feel compelled to have a vampire movie binge. Of those I hadn't seen six years ago and have been able to check off since, I think Martin has been my favorite, and The Hunger my least favorite.
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

rain Bard wrote:It's great to see folks like Leeder (I still have a print-out of your most-recommended vampire films somewhere in my files, annotated with others' chime-ins of course) delurk for this nostalgic thread.
I'd be fascinated to know what's on that list. Doubt it would be too much different today, though I don't care very much about vampires these days; other people have told me the same, that they have some kind of adolescent appeal that you have to put behind you (like Anne Rice, or Roger Ebert). Still, I have a paper on Fright Night that I'm still anxious to transform into a journal article, and had fun showing a first year class the crypto-lesbian seduction scene from Dracula's Daughter.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It's like we're having a reunion without ever having left school.

I found the board in the days just after the '98 presentations -- so I missed the Benigni/Paltrow wars (though I heard plenty about them in retrospect). I initially posted under another name, but apparently not often even then, as I'm missing from Sonic's first screen shot. It was only half a year later -- now as Mister Tee -- that I finally initiated my first thread (it was "Reviews Make American Beauty a Contender"...so those of you who really hate the movie can blame me, if you want).

I was reluctant, when we moved to the second board, to actively register -- I'd never done such a thing before, and had vague totalitarian misgivings -- but, in the end, I couldn't conceive of depriving myself of all the great company (and the awareness that there were things about movies or the Oscars that only people here would truly understand).

I'd forgotten some of the names that have popped up, but they all come back, now. I thought we'd had more female participation at any earlier time, and, like others, I regret that we can't seem to sustain such diversity. I am pleased to hear that Pamela-Marie has popped up recently; I admit I"d feared the worst.

The Real Oscar Guy, who was mentioned below, showed up on other sites as AcciTourist, and alienated everyone there, as here, with his "I know better" cocky act. The only thing I can say about him is, he did have some inside knowledge: he frequently touted things that became Oscar contenders (like Vera Drake, at one of the later sites) before they were widely mentioned.

Didn't Patiff openly proclaim himself the Resident A-Hole? It was hard to take ofense when he was so obviously trying to provoke.

Max Wilder was a very nice and intelligent guy. I recollect he said, upon leaving, that he had to wean himself off the Internet, like it was interfering with his studies. Surely he's graduated by now and can devote some time to his old pals?
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I've been here since early 1999, when the race was Saving Private Ryan vs. Shakespeare in Love. I was a junior in high school when I started posting here, and now I'm a senior in college. Time really flies, doesn't it?

I actually remember chatting with Tree18 online a few years ago and finding out that he went to the same university I am currently going to now. Last I heard, he was teaching a junior high history class somewhere in South Texas. I also think he still lurks around here sometimes.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “General Off-Topic”