Memory Lane: UAADB circa 1999-2000 - The 'Inside the Web' days

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Seeing these screenshots of the old board reminds me of how long I've been here, and it's hard to believe it. When the board started, I was entering my sophomore year of high school...now I've graduated college and am planning to get started on grad school this fall. I've also moved out, moved back in, started packing to move out again, seen a sister married, become an uncle, and it seems like no time has passed at all really. Where did all the time go?
You were always a big inspiration to me, Damien. You helped stoke a love of the movies that has taken me places.

Ditto. I never have really said anything before, but during my last three years of college, my life revolved almost entirely around school and work, and the hours I worked and went to school made it almost impossible to have any kind of a social life. So watching movies and participating here really made up for a lot, and I don't know how I would have made it through college without my love of movies, and without this board (and Zach's old board, even though that petered out around halfway through my college career). I really needed the board. Now I'm still working the same job I worked through most of college, but there's a lot less stress and more of an actual social life with friends. For the first time in a long time, I actually feel like I don't need the board in the way I did just a year or so back. But I'd also hate to be without it--one thing I know is that I'll always keep coming to The Board as long as it exists.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The female posters in general tend not to say too long around here.

Any thoughts on why that is? Surely we aren't that much of a boys club:)
I think it's because film geekdom is pretty much gravitated towards the males of the species. Look at any film board and most of the active posters are males between 15 and 30.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

kay, i was actually just looking at those screen shots, and trying to think of my first posts on this board. I remember googling Oscars and finding the board, thinking these were immensely bright film people and joining, but I can't remember what my first post was, or what I specifically remember reading that drew me in.

Some of my first memories of the board, though, were a post (by Sonic Youth?) about Casting the Film of the 2000 Election, a post on some book where I realized Damien was THE Damien Bona who wrote two of my favorite film books (Inside Oscar and Opening Shots) and several posts by people such as Sabin, anonymous and dws who were around my age yet vastly more well-seen than I was (something I still feel from time to time).

Anyone else have memories of first opinions/posts?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I wonder if that second screenshot has my first posts on this board. Eerie if that happened to be the case. Summer of 2000 would have been about right. And a post asking for us to give our personal rankings of Kubrick's films would have gotten my attention and caused me to register and throw in my three cents (I think my views are worth more than two cents.).

I enjoyed this.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:The female posters in general tend not to say too long around here.
Any thoughts on why that is? Surely we aren't that much of a boys club:)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

And Magilla, unless I'm entirely mistaken, you were one of the few people to read my first novel, The Nectar Deceptions. Seriously, only about eleven people in the world can make that claim.

Something in the neighbourhood of 30 000 read my last book, so I guess I shouldn't complain.
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

Hey Damien! Right, you were good enough to comment on that story of mine. You know, that one never got published; it got rejected a few times and I lost interest in it. Some of its basic ideas I recycled into something I currently have with an anthology editor.

Thanks for that copy of The Seventh Victim too. Even though I've got the DVD now, I still keep it with me in my apartment in Ottawa. You were always a big inspiration to me, Damien. You helped stoke a love of the movies that has taken me places.

Erin broke my heart, it must be said. She was more than six years my senior, and that wasn't the least of our problems. We kept in contact for a while, but she moved away; the last time I heard from her would have been about four years ago, and she was living in Saskatchewan somewhere.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I not only remember Erin - I thought ther was something going on between her and Murray.

The female posters in general tend not to say too long around here.

I remember Jane Fairfax, Colin, Ichabod Crane, all the Jameses and Addison DeWitt and John Harkness chiding me for calling The Passion of Joan of Arc a "foreign" film.

Didn't Max Wilder go to Duke? I remember he can Cam getting into it quite a bit.

Jonathan (Tree18) still lurks.

I've often wondered what happened to Manolis. He managed a theatre in Athens, I believe.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Is that our first physical UAADB relationship? Wow.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Leeder wrote:
So I'm 25 now and just finishing the first year of a Ph.D. in Film Studies (in effect at least -- there are no such Ph.D.'s in Canada, so I'm actually in an interdisciplinary program at Carleton University). I've even had a refereed article published in the Canadian Journal of Film Studies. Yup, the full on academic route for me. Oh, and I've had several novels published -- Plague of Ice (don't be fooled by the fact that my name isn't on the cover) and Son of Thunder. My writing career started promisingly but sort of fell away as school became more and more pressing, so it's a back-burner thing now but I still try to put out a couple of short stories every year.

And while we're remembering long ago posters, I'll make particular note of a certain "Erin" who posted for a time in 2000. Doubtful that anybody else remembers her since she didn't post for very long (I remember she had an argument with Ed Gonzalez over Pay It Forward).

I lost my virginity to her.

Damn, Murray, I remember you well, and recall reading a story you were writing.

I remember the name Erin -- how cool is it to have lost you virginity to a fellow UAADB poster. Hell, if this place existed in the early 70s I might have too. :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

This may be as good a place as any to break a lengthy silence. Hello everybody! Yes, I lurk, I lurk. Very interested to hear what you all say. I chuckle as I watch all those criddic discussions going on -- I swear he is a creation of the collective unconscious and if you just stop believe in him he'll wink out of existence.

So I'm 25 now and just finishing the first year of a Ph.D. in Film Studies (in effect at least -- there are no such Ph.D.'s in Canada, so I'm actually in an interdisciplinary program at Carleton University). I've even had a refereed article published in the Canadian Journal of Film Studies. Yup, the full on academic route for me. Oh, and I've had several novels published -- Plague of Ice (don't be fooled by the fact that my name isn't on the cover) and Son of Thunder. My writing career started promisingly but sort of fell away as school became more and more pressing, so it's a back-burner thing now but I still try to put out a couple of short stories every year.

And to think that I was posting on OG's board back in high school. I'm sure it helped to solidify my interest in cinema enough for me to switch to Film Studies from English when it came time for doing my M.A. So hats off to UAADB!

And while we're remembering long ago posters, I'll make particular note of a certain "Erin" who posted for a time in 2000. Doubtful that anybody else remembers her since she didn't post for very long (I remember she had an argument with Ed Gonzalez over Pay It Forward).

I lost my virginity to her.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Geez, talk about nostalgia and old friends and comrades.

I started posting during the 1998 Oscar season (early 1999) as a means of talking up Gods and Monsters LOL.

Wow so many names I hadn't thought of in a long time, but seeing them again makes me smile.

I recall John Harkness being particularly cantankerous, and Yamil Satyricon at one point was threatening suicide. I remember Little Miss Gum Drop as a rather sassy wench who often engaged in double entendres. Editman (Andrew Mondshein) was a really good guy, and I don't really blame him for leaving -- some of the comments about Chocolat were a bit harsh (He cut The Hoax which is now in theatres, and even though he's Lasse Hallström's personal cutter, it was Sixth Sense, though, not Cider House, for which he was nominated in'99). Manolis, WeeBot, Tree18, sjimen, Sister Luke (was that really Dolores Hart?), Ichabod Crane, James (though I think there was more than one James) ah yes, I remember them well. Oh, and perhaps the lost lamb I most miss: Max Wilder who was exceptionally smart and perceptive -- I think he was a student at UVA.

And then there are those I have no recollection of: Jane Fairfax, Colin, sustainence, gerryliebman, yankee, Addison De Witt

Damn, anonymous and Sabin (in his Ninja Turtle mode) were just babes at the time.

Patiff, Bliss66 I recall the names but not the personalities or any ofthe posts -- strange, since they deemed to have an impact on others here..

What strikes me most is how cohesive this board has been as a community for so long. It's the only website I've consistently remained at over the years, and the only place on the Internet where I've actually made real life friends.

So a toast to Wes, in appreciation of The Unofficial Academy Awards Discussion Board!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I remember JLS quite well.

Editman works almost exclusively for Lasse Hallstrom these days. Their latest film is The Hoax.

Sister Luke isn't a real nun, of course. He's a banker somewhere in New Jersey.

Cam, weren't some of your arguments with Chole's cousin going on while she was filming something or another in Vancouver? It's a wonder you didn't find out what restaurant she was dining at and throw water over her head.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I often think of Editman and Sister Luke -- I imagine she's off in a convent somewhere watching a double feature of The Nun's Story and The Sound of Music.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

dws1982 wrote:
cam wrote:And what happened to our resident editor? His wife was on one film; he was with another. Neither won, I remember. I think he was called "editman".

I think he left after everyone trashed Chocolat--a film he and his wife both worked on--so thoroughly the following year.

So...all this discussion of the old UAADB, and no mention yet of JLS? His was the first of many message board meltdowns that I've witnessed over the years.
I honestly don't remember most people that have left and never come back. I just don't think about them.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Off-Topic”