Thanksgiving 2020-2022

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Thanksgiving 2020-2022

Post by Sabin »

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. This is the first year that my mother has come to visit my sister and I post-COVID so I'm enjoying taking her around sunny Los Angeles. Plenty to give thanks for.
"How's the despair?"
taki15
Assistant

Re: Thanksgiving 2020

Post by taki15 »

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For reasons I won't go into, I'm forced to forgo some Thanksgiving eating favorites this year. But, despite (sob!) no stuffing, my spirit remains. I offer warmest holiday wishes to all of you, and thank you for your part in brightening my days.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Cooking the roasted sweet potatoes and apples as we speak. Happy Thanksgiving!

Hot take: I don't care whether the bird's stuffed or not. It's still stuffing. Enough of this "dressing" nonsense!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

dws1982 wrote:That recipe lost me at a whole half-pound of livers and hearts.
I take it you don't like giblet gravy.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

We've done Thanksgiving dinner at my mom's house since I was a kid, though after my dad died we would sometimes have it on Wednesday night so that my brother and his wife could attend her family's Thanksgiving celebration on Thursday. This year, we're getting together at my brother's house so I won't have to do any cooking or preparation. I offered to bring something, but it won't be needed. My brother will probably make an apple or cherry pie plus homemade rolls in addition to the turkey and other sides.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My turn to cook. No more whole turkeys for me.

I'm making Vicky's Kitchen Roast Turkey Breast with sausage, cornbread stuffing, and cranberry apple chutney glaze.

It was $35.47 for 3.55 lbs., $9.99 per pound at Costco, up from $6.99 per pound pre-pandemic.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

That recipe lost me at a whole half-pound of livers and hearts. We do the traditional southern cornbread version here, but never ever ever stuffed into the cavity of the bird. Although since full-sized birds are expensive (and not the easiest to find) this year, I am considering doing a turkey breast roulade that would kind of have the stuffing inside it.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I guess this is the best thread to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving. I will again be having Thanksgiving dinner at the restaurant down the road from my house. If any of you here will be cooking for Thanksgiving and want to try your hands at it, here is a stuffing/dressing recipe that was written down by Marilyn Monroe:

https://www.silverscreensuppers.com/mar ... s-stuffing
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Happy Thanksgiving, Greg! Not a lot of activity on this one...

I went on a three hour hike with some friends. I'm really glad I did that. Doing anything outdoorsy before Thanksgiving is a delight, and definitely a benefit of living in a sunny climate. The rest of the day was fine. Had a dinner with some friends of friends. It really drove home the importance of spending Thanksgiving with people you closely know and care about. The next day, I saw a triple feature.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I'll just add here and not do a whole new thread for 2021.

I went out for Thanksgiving dinner this year. It was a nice Florida November day and the restaurant was less than a mile down the road from my house. So, I just walked there. The place had a choice of one of three entrees, three of nine sides, and, one of three desserts. The entrees were prime rib, turkey, and ham. I would have chosen the prime rib anyway, but, all the entrees were the same price. There was no way I was going to pay the same for turkey or ham as prime rib.

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

So sorry for your loss, Dan
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sorry, Dan, but hope your quiet Thanksgiving was nice.

It's gotten really horrible again. I have a neighbor who was scheduled for open heart surgery on Tuesday but they called Monday to say they had no ventilator but might get one on Thursday. They called Tuesday to say they found one and rescheduled her for Wednesday. It went well but her husband is only allowed to visit for a half hour per day. Another neighbor has a brother who was hospitalized with a high fever over the Thanksgiving weekend. They're keeping him sedated and not allowing anyone to visit, not her, not his partner, no one. The can't figure out what's wrong with him.

Meanwhile, the roving reporter for my community newspaper, who has hundreds, if not thousands, of e-mail contacts, had her e-mail hacked yesterday with messages going out to people asking for donations of $100 to buy her niece a Christmas necklace on Amazon. She doesn't have a niece. I was able to help with the people in our community, but this lady is active in the local historical society, in her church, and the town schools. I just hope the ones I wasn't able to contact for her aren't as gullible as some of the people here. It was a real mess with some of them having responded to the e-mail, and at least one actually buying the necklace. Amazon is investigating. It's shocking how many usually smart people were fooled by this one.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Thanks, Greg.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sorry about the loss of your father, dan.

Return to “General Off-Topic”