Happy 17th Anniversary to the Board!

mlrg
Associate

Re: Happy 17th Anniversary to the Board!

Post by mlrg »

anonymous1980 wrote:Wow. I remember I was still in my teens when I started posting here. Now, I'm almost 40 (so is Sabin).
I’m 42 and discovered Wes’s site in 1996 :shock:
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Wow. I remember I was still in my teens when I started posting here. Now, I'm almost 40 (so is Sabin).
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Thanks, OscarGuy, for giving us this place to interact for all these years.
I second that! I know I haven't always been the most popular member in this group, but I appreciate the diversity of opinion and the shared excitement of celebrating movies that exists here!! :)
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
dws1982
Emeritus

Happy 17th Anniversary to the Board!

Post by dws1982 »

...at least to this iteration of the board. I just noticed on my profile (and then looking at a few other profiles of long-timers like myself) that most of us registered in early January, 2003.

OscarGuy had at least two previous iterations of the board that I was part of, going (at least for me) all the way back to the summer of 1998 when I was 15.

James Earl Jones says in Field of Dreams that the one constant through all the years has been baseball. I was never much of a baseball player, and even today find it a really hard sport to watch, so for me, and for several of us, this board has been one constant through all the years.

This board has been part of my life through high school, beginning college, the time I almost threw everything away to marry a high school girlfriend who would not have loved me in return, my first apartment, the health issues that sent me back to my parents way too quickly, becoming an uncle, graduating college, my first real job, going back to college again after I hated that job, moving again, getting my first teaching job and absolutely bombing at it, getting a second teaching job and doing okay at it, going through graduate school, buying a house, getting a third teaching job and finally hitting my stride and actually being named teacher of the year, and I'm sure (and hopeful) that when and if the time comes that I marry and have children that this board will be here then as well. My posting here has been much less consistent as things have gotten busier for me over the past few years, and I think that's a good thing. My life is much fuller than it was seventeen or even ten years ago; I'm no longer the depressed person with nothing but movies and message boards to retreat to, but this is still often one of the first sites I check in the morning and one of the last sites I check at night.

Thanks, OscarGuy, for giving us this place to interact for all these years.

Return to “General Off-Topic”