World Cup 2018

Heksagon
Adjunct

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Heksagon »

Well, that was a curious tournament, with a lot of oddities in the form of own goals, penalties and goalkeeper howlers (in the final match even) and England making it so far with a team that looks so unimpressive on paper. The many entertaining matches (only one goalless draw) made it memorable also, and video refereeing was a welcome addition that should have been introduced years ago.

I was probably the only "neutral" who sympathized with France in the final. Croatia were a sympathetic team to many, unsurprisingly, as they represent a small country and as some of their players spent their childhood in shadows of war. I share that sentiment as well, but the notorious bad behavior of Croatian fans is pretty hard for me to overlook. And then the French themselves marred their own victory with less than classy "celebrations" on the streets.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Very much. Did Lisbon and Ponta Delgada for a vacation and I clearly need to return (and add Porto next time, as well as other Azore-islands).
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

[quote="Okri”] I was in the Lisbon Airport for that match and it's amazing watching the sport with people who actually love the sport).[/quote]

You were at my hometown? Did you like it? :D
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

It's been an entertaining World Cup so far.

Unfortunately there's no way we'll ever get to a part of this tournament, at least not in my lifetime. I usually end up sympathizing France since we often spent our holidays there when I was a kid, so I have fond memories of the country for that reason. I was there even when they won the tourney back in '98.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Random thoughts

a) Maybe firing the manager two days before the event was not the right move, Spain...

b) Messi and Ronaldo departing on the same day was too delicious for words. One of the more frustrating debates in the sport .

c) Japan vs Belgium.... what a match. Gutted for Japan, but the Belgian team is probably who I'm rooting for? That final counter-attack was a thing of beauty (love the overhead views). I was in the Lisbon Airport for that match and it's amazing watching the sport with people who actually love the sport.

d) Kane is the leading scorer, but is there anyway that Mbappe doesn't emerge as the breakthrough talent of the tournament. So so good.

Okay, so Canada/USA/Mexico have been announced as the hosts for 2026. Which is a bad move for about 8 billion reasons. Three host spots when one nation would definitely not make it (Canada), even with the expansion (which is also a bad idea). Three hosts that could easily host the event on it's own (Mexico is an assumption based on the fact that they did host it before).
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Besides just how great it was that Mexico beat Germany yesterday, my favorite World Cup-related story is that seismic sensors In Mexico City detected a slight earthquake in the immediate aftermath of Mexico's goal, apparently as the result of 20 million or so people simultaneously jumping up and down!
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:Anyone here is following the soccer World Cup? Spain vs Portugal just finished with a 3-3 final result and a very good match
Cristiano Ronaldo's crazy late free-kick goal was an exciting highlight.
mlrg
Associate

World Cup 2018

Post by mlrg »

Anyone here is following the soccer World Cup? Spain vs Portugal just finished with a 3-3 final result and a very good match

My prediction is that Brasil will win the competition

Return to “General Off-Topic”