Stay Safe Everyone!

mlrg
Associate

Re: Stay Safe Everyone!

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote:I hope Marco is okay.
He is. I exchanged some messages with him a couple of days ago. He lives in the epicenter of it in Italy
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Sabin wrote:I hope Marco is okay.
I’ve been in touch with him. He and his relatives are fine, according to what he said to me earlier today.

I will let him know about your concern.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I hope Marco is okay.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Okri wrote:My dad, who is almost 70, and I are going to Finland and England for a wedding. Very tempting to cancel at this point, not gonna lie.
Cancel it.

I’m going to cancel my holidays in the Seychelles that would occur first week of May
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Okri wrote:My dad, who is almost 70, and I are going to Finland and England for a wedding. Very tempting to cancel at this point, not gonna lie.

Jesus, don’t hesitate. Cancel!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

My dad, who is almost 70, and I are going to Finland and England for a wedding. Very tempting to cancel at this point, not gonna lie.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:Both Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, in Australia, have tested positive for the virus.

Hanks announced it on his Instagram page.
Very admirable of Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson to make it so public. It really puts on a spotlight onto this heinous disease in a very public personal way as Tom Hanks is probably the worlds most beloved movie star/actor.

I imagine they are being/have been grilled (very nicely I might add) about all their movements over the last 14 days. Sounds like one or both of them may have picked it up in Sydney and there is no way they would have been in the primary area of infections in Sydney.

Australian authorities have already placed a large number of people who had contact with them into home quarantine and a tracing others. Warners Brothers studios has been closed down.

Just watching the news earlier and its so disturbing. They mentioned how all the places that Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson visited are being 'disinfected'. Makes it sound like the plague which its not but it a very serious disease and as mlrg has already stated this virus 'IS NOT A FUCKING FLU'.

The regular flu that circulates around the globe yearly kills about 0.01% of the population (mainly the very old and compromised). In a bad year it raises to 0.02%. The death rate of this is much worse and more far reaching. The latest stats I read state that 0.09 of deaths are perfectly healthily people!.

Wishing them both a full and speedy recovery.
Last edited by Precious Doll on Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Both Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, in Australia, have tested positive for the virus.

Hanks announced it on his Instagram page.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -body.html

This is way too sad and disturbing to comment about...

Please everybody, stay safe...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I have heard from a reliable source that Italian medical professionals in the worst effected areas have had to make decisions on who will receive treatment and who will not.

This is more than likely going to be the case across the globe and the number of cases rise. No country on the planet have the capabilities to handle the levels and volumes of cases presenting.

It's so evident where I live that people are limiting their activities. I started a French Film Festival yesterday and there is barely anyone in attendance and checking on-line at the attendance for todays sessions appears to be exactly the same.

On the other hand an Italian restaurant we go to every Wednesday night was doing a roaring trade last night. People probably enjoying a night out whilst they still can. We are receiving conflicting information on 'what to do'. Its either be on alert (what exactly for I do not know) or to carry on a usual.

So far all but four cases in Australia have been either imported from mainly Australians returning home from overseas or people that live in the same household. The other four cases have not been overseas and are being extensively interviewed to determine where they may have come into contact with the virus.

Thousands upon thousands of people have already been tested and there are growing calls to shut the borders.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

OscarGuy wrote:I keep hearing people say this is a flu. Yet, a coronavirus is a rhinovirus and is more commonly associated with the common cold than the flu. I think the fact that COVID-19 can lead to pneumonia may be what's causing the confusion.
Please tell your friends and the people you know that your European friend says that THIS IS NOT A FUCKING FLU.

It was exactly that kind of attitude that led to what we are experiencing over here

There are counties in Italy where 1 out of each 200 habitants are infected
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It can also affect other organs beyond the lungs which is why it's so dangerous to people with underlying diseases, especially heart disease and diabetes which can lead to kidney failure.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I keep hearing people say this is a flu. Yet, a coronavirus is a rhinovirus and is more commonly associated with the common cold than the flu. I think the fact that COVID-19 can lead to pneumonia may be what's causing the confusion.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Heksagon wrote:Meanwhile the virus is starting to spread here and we're still not doing much >.> There's a school near my commute where a teacher got infected and they're not even closing that school.
That’s criminal, afaic.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Reza wrote:I'm happy to see the precautions being taken in so many countries. Better to be safe than sorry.

In my neck of the woods its business as usual. Cases of the virus have been reported here in different cities but I fear our government could be hiding facts. There are a lot of protests by parents for school closure but there has been no response from our government.

Last Friday I came down with a very bad case of the flu. Streaming eyes and nose. But no fever or cough. It went on till Tuesday evening. Today I'm back at work with all flu symptoms gone but a minor throat irritation has started. Could be due to smoking.

Stay safe guys!!
Sounds like you had a really bad cold. If it were the flu, you’d definitely have a cough and you’d definitely have a fever. I think everyone uses “cold” and “flu” interchangeably, but there really is a difference. Of course, being sick makes you more vulnerable to the flu, so be careful.

The federal government in America really screwed the pooch on this one. Most state and municipal governments are doing what they can, but they’re at a disadvantage with the lack of adequate testing. read this if you want to be infuriated for the rest of the day.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/us/c ... Lo8Hrq98ID

Of course it doesn’t help that we have so many math-illiterates in this country. “Lol, look at all the panicking!! The death rate for Coronavirus is only 2%. Do you know how many people died of the regular flu last year? 27,000! How come no one is panicking about that?”

I wonder if these people think ten one-dollar bills is ten times more money than a single hundred-dollar bill?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “General Off-Topic”