Stay Safe Everyone!

mlrg
Associate

Re: Stay Safe Everyone!

Post by mlrg »

Big Magilla wrote:Stanford hospital board internal message

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover.
Sorry but this full paragraph is medically incorrect and all of these advices have been refuted by the medical community.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Stanford hospital board internal message

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS
1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold 2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!
THE SYMPTOMS
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 day
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'm going to start today making videos for my classes--Algebra I, Algebra II/Trig, AP Statistics. We're out for three weeks, but I suspect it may be longer than that.

If anyone has family members who are out of school and need some extra help with work, just send me a PM and I'll be glad to send a link to the videos when I get them uploaded. I'll be starting where we left off with each class (Polynomials, Trig, and Significance Tests of Means, respectively) , although with Stats I'm going to start doing some review videos pretty quickly as well.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Since I sent this, MSNBC has run excerpts on it including the ten pages of death notices per day in the local paper where one page was the norm before all of this.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Big Magilla wrote:This is a very sobering article about the coffins lined up for burial or cremation (which takes an hour per coffin) in Bergamo, Italy. Funerals, like all other gatherings, are prohibited. Coffins are being prepared and shipped from overburdened funeral parlors to homes with bodies in them and families have to make their own arrangements from there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/worl ... e=Homepage
Thanks for sharing, although I have not read it. From your description this type of news article is a good read for those who still think this is a mere flu and refuse to stay home. It should be printed and force these people to read it several times.

For me, I try to avoid them.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

There are unconfirmed rumors, courtesy of a local hospital, that there are 1000 cases of the virus in Islamabad although the official Government statement is that there are only 4.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This is a very sobering article about the coffins lined up for burial or cremation (which takes an hour per coffin) in Bergamo, Italy. Funerals, like all other gatherings, are prohibited. Coffins are being prepared and shipped from overburdened funeral parlors to homes with bodies in them and families have to make their own arrangements from there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/worl ... e=Homepage
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sonic Youth wrote: Fortunately, the untouched third town is where we're now living, but I don't expect that to last more than a few days.
24 hours after I posted this, we received our first case. It was inevitable. All the neighboring towns surrounding us have at least one case.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sonic Youth wrote:The news and the footage and the numbers coming out of Italy is worse than any nightmare I've ever had. I hope Italiano stays well, but perhaps more important I hope he's SAFE.

It looks like Seattle is only a week or two away from becoming another Lombardy. Just stay inside as much as you can, people. Please.
Marco is well. He’s pretty tired of having to stay home, but in good health.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The news and the footage and the numbers coming out of Italy is worse than any nightmare I've ever had. I hope Italiano stays well, but perhaps more important I hope he's SAFE.

It looks like Seattle is only a week or two away from becoming another Lombardy. Just stay inside as much as you can, people. Please.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote: I think I can explain why people are picking bottled water and the like. In all of the post-apocalyptic films in dystopic futures, there's no electricity or water, so it's a perception of the ignorant that they need to stock up on dry goods, canned goods, and bottled water. Movies like Contagion and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, it just seems like that would be sensible. In the real world, most power plants don't require too many people to run, so they have the capability of running on a skeleton crew. The same goes for water. I really don't expect to have regular utilities shut off, but when you get "disaster preparedness" into people's heads (hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes) such things are conceivable. They just don't have any experience with a pandemic type disaster, thus only one frame of reference.
That would explain it. I hope people who watching movies while sheltering in place are staying away from those types of films. It's scary enough without having those things add to the uncertainty and paranoia.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I ran out of Zyrtec Friday morning and this is prime allergy season (have had my biennial head cold for the last week). So, I went to Target. I only went to the pharmacy, so I never got back to the food section. When I arrived, the register lines (including self checkout) were 3 or 4 people deep, which is atypical even for Saturdays I've been there.

On my way back to the pharmacy, I passed sections where the laundry detergent/house cleaning are kept and most of the cleaning supplies were gone. A little further down, there were three whole shelves of bag dog food completely empty. Then, once in the pharmacy, the cold/sinus sections and pain medication sections were largely stripped bear. When I got to the checkout, I went to self-checkout, which was empty and was out in no time.

Other people in my area related different experiences earlier in the week. One of my co-workers said she went to a Walmart Neighborhood Market to pick up some stuff and drove around for several minutes because there were no parking places and the lines inside were at least 30 minute waits. My mother had gone to get toilet paper because she was down to 3 rolls and couldn't find any. She found out she actually had six rolls. Plus, a couple of weeks ago, I had run out and I always pick up the huge 6-pack of 6 rolls, so I had like 36 rolls of toilet paper. It takes me several months (even a year) to go through all of that. So, we have plenty. I don't get it either because if you have to shit and don't have a bidet, you can always hop in the shower and clean off. It's rather dumb to horde that much TP.

We went out to dinner at Applebee's tonight with my friends. They had pulled all the salt-and-pepper shakers and moved them to a closed section of the restaurant where they could sanitize them before bringing them to tables that asked. A surprisingly cogent idea. They still set people at tables next to one another, so there wasn't a lot of social distancing options available. If you're a germophobe, eating out might not be for you. One of those friends and I went to a Chinese restaurant at lunch and they asked us (why us, I don't know) if we thought they should close the lobby of the restaurant and only do drive-thru. There was no one there and usually there are a few people in the lobby itself. My friend suggested social distancing would help if people sat far from one another, but I told him that wouldn't really work since everyone would need to stop at the point of sale and keeping that area perpetually sanitized would be a challenge. The drive-thru would be slightly easier to control, but unless you're an expert in infectious diseases, you aren't likely to be able to run a drive-thru effectively.

Anyway, most of our local food places are still operating and our state hasn't closed schools yet, but they have warned day cares that they may end up forcing them to close. Working in insurance, we were getting several calls from day cares that wanted to know if they would have coverage for lost income if they were forced to shut down. The unfortunate answer to those questions were no. Not only is virus/bacteria not a covered cause of loss, it's a specific exclusion at least in the businessowners form that a lot of our day cares were written on and would most likely be excluded from most standard business income policies.

Closing day cares could also carry its own risks because a lot of doctors and nurses who use day care. Without it, they would have to stay home rather than helping patients who might need it. A friend of mine who is a nurse said they've had to start hiding their supplies because their patients were stealing face masks and other stuff.

Anyway, I think I can explain why people are picking bottled water and the like. In all of the post-apocalyptic films in dystopic futures, there's no electricity or water, so it's a perception of the ignorant that they need to stock up on dry goods, canned goods, and bottled water. Movies like Contagion and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, it just seems like that would be sensible. In the real world, most power plants don't require too many people to run, so they have the capability of running on a skeleton crew. The same goes for water. I really don't expect to have regular utilities shut off, but when you get "disaster preparedness" into people's heads (hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes) such things are conceivable. They just don't have any experience with a pandemic type disaster, thus only one frame of reference.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

There was a confirmed case in my county announced yesterday, and I just got word that it was a student in the school system where I teach. It was not at my school, but the kids from all of the schools in our system regularly come into contact with each other through the career technical center and through sporting events.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

This thing with toilet paper is beyond my mind. Do people know what water is? Oh wait, you need to constantly keep reminding them to wash their hands
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I don't particularly need anything as I tend to buy tonnes of food with the intentions of cooking and then order out, but yeah, things are weird. Empty shelves of what you wouldn't really expect

Return to “General Off-Topic”