European Vacation

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: European Vacation

Post by Reza »

Reza wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:00 am
Reza wrote:Budapest (Hungary) - Vienna (Austria) - Prague (Czech Republic).

Am adding on Poland with a 2 day visit to Krakow (want to do the day tour to the Auschwitz camp) followed by 2-3 days in Warsaw.

All in all a 2 week trip
I never made it to Poland as the Hungarians never gave me a visa for a few days extra. Only did Budapest, Vienna and Prague all of which were stunningly beautiful cities.

I'm off to Germany in 10 days after a 3 day stopover in Athens - a reunion with my son who I haven't seen in almost 11 years. We plan to do Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg with day trips to Heidelberg, Cologne, Nuremberg and Dresden. Do we have any German members here who could recommend any other city?

Will again try and see if I can make it to Krakow and also Salzburg.
Germany last March was heaven.

Then in August did Moscow and St. Petersburg - two of the most stunning European cities and the Russian people are so hospitable although there was a language barrier of course - our guide spoke English so it was fine.

Am in Sri Lanka now - very exotic - and plan to do Vietnam and Cambodia in January.
Last edited by Reza on Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Not a European vacation but I don't know where else to put it. I'm going to Japan starting on Monday and spending the holidays there with my brother, sister-in-law, nephew, niece, my sister-in-law's little sister and their mother. So I'm not going to be too active a poster. I will drop by if I find some Wi-fi and free time.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Reza wrote:Budapest (Hungary) - Vienna (Austria) - Prague (Czech Republic).

Am adding on Poland with a 2 day visit to Krakow (want to do the day tour to the Auschwitz camp) followed by 2-3 days in Warsaw.

All in all a 2 week trip
I never made it to Poland as the Hungarians never gave me a visa for a few days extra. Only did Budapest, Vienna and Prague all of which were stunningly beautiful cities.

I'm off to Germany in 10 days after a 3 day stopover in Athens - a reunion with my son who I haven't seen in almost 11 years. We plan to do Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg with day trips to Heidelberg, Cologne, Nuremberg and Dresden. Do we have any German members here who could recommend any other city?

Will again try and see if I can make it to Krakow and also Salzburg.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

It's easy to say that in 2 to 3 weeks you can focus on central europe and see a lot of cities. Prague, Vienna, Budapest, etc.. are all worthy of a visit.

In Belgium I would check out Bruges as well.

In Italy I was underwhelmed by Florence (shoot me...) and absolutely love Rome (will visit again on the first weekend of September).

Needless to say that Lisbon is not like any other city you will visit in europe :D

I visited St Petersburg and Moscow in April 2018 and was overwhelmed by the beauty of St Petersburg as a whole and the Red Square in Moscow.

Side note: I travelled to New York last month for a 6 day trip with my daughter and my wife. Third time for me, after 2003 and 2012. It still is an amazing city but there is a certain feel of decadence to it that I didn't feel in my previous visists. I was somewhat dissapointed by it.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I'm also planning a European jaunt in July. It started off as a three country tour but I've added a fourth as I don't think I will get another chance to go back that way again.

Budapest (Hungary) - Vienna (Austria) - Prague (Czech Republic).

All in all a 2 week trip

Also on my bucket list are Spain (7 cities) and Russia (Moscow & St. Petersburg) - hopefully within the next year or two.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

mlrg wrote: How long do you plan to stay?
I think I can do 2.5 weeks, maybe 3 weeks max, depending on my budget.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

anonymous1980 wrote:Time to resurrect this thread.

Now, I'm seriously thinking of FINALLY going on a European vacation within the next two years (April 2023 the earliest). I'm not getting any younger and I've come to a point when I finally have enough money to be able to go for a few weeks without completely wiping out my bank account. My preliminary plan is to fly to Amsterdam first because it's the cheapest flight from Manila to Europe (and they're actually the most lenient in issuing tourist visas among the EU nations). I may swing by Belgium because I have a godmother (my mother's first cousin) who now lives there. Then it's off to France and Italy (the two countries I most want to visit).

So any tips for a first-timer? Should I get the Global Eurail pass or not? What other countries and cities you think I should consider? Any money-saving tips? Thanks a bunch.
How long do you plan to stay?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Time to resurrect this thread.

Now, I'm seriously thinking of FINALLY going on a European vacation within the next two years (April 2023 the earliest). I'm not getting any younger and I've come to a point when I finally have enough money to be able to go for a few weeks without completely wiping out my bank account. My preliminary plan is to fly to Amsterdam first because it's the cheapest flight from Manila to Europe (and they're actually the most lenient in issuing tourist visas among the EU nations). I may swing by Belgium because I have a godmother (my mother's first cousin) who now lives there. Then it's off to France and Italy (the two countries I most want to visit).

So any tips for a first-timer? Should I get the Global Eurail pass or not? What other countries and cities you think I should consider? Any money-saving tips? Thanks a bunch.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Okri wrote:Hungary and Greece mainly.
No, you can go there. You'll be 100% safe. Especially in Greece.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Hungary and Greece mainly.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Okri wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:I know the area very well, so in case you decide to go and need some advice, just ask me here or in private. But first try to know WHERE in Croatia you would be based - while the country isn't big, it's geographical structure is quite diverse, so for example there's a big difference between staying in Zagreb (the capital) or, say, Split (on the coast). In summer it's especially beautiful by the way.

Also, honestly - I know that in this case it's your best friend etc... but maybe going around by yourself wouldn't be a bad idea. I know that Americans - after those Hostel movies - think of Europe and especially of Eastern Europe as a dangerous place, but frankly - how shall I put it - it's much safer than the US. Especially now.
Heh - I did travel in Europe on my own about a decade ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. That said, as a black male, I would probably still avoid certain countries, much to my regret because most seem fascinating. Though, frankly, I'm probably never going to the United States again either for similar reasons.
I mean, I don't know which countries you are talking about... As you say, the US is right now probably the most dangerous place for a black person (and this includes black Americans of course - I know black people living there who say they have to be very careful when travelling around). In Europe I've never heard of a single case of a black tourist being hurt in any way just for the color of his or her skin... Racism exists, of course, but rarely in a truly aggressive form.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Okri wrote: Heh - I did travel in Europe on my own about a decade ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. That said, as a black male, I would probably still avoid certain countries, much to my regret because most seem fascinating. Though, frankly, I'm probably never going to the United States again either for similar reasons.
I would definitely advice any black person not to travel in Russia on their own.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Okri wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:I know the area very well, so in case you decide to go and need some advice, just ask me here or in private. But first try to know WHERE in Croatia you would be based - while the country isn't big, it's geographical structure is quite diverse, so for example there's a big difference between staying in Zagreb (the capital) or, say, Split (on the coast). In summer it's especially beautiful by the way.

Also, honestly - I know that in this case it's your best friend etc... but maybe going around by yourself wouldn't be a bad idea. I know that Americans - after those Hostel movies - think of Europe and especially of Eastern Europe as a dangerous place, but frankly - how shall I put it - it's much safer than the US. Especially now.
Heh - I did travel in Europe on my own about a decade ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. That said, as a black male, I would probably still avoid certain countries, much to my regret because most seem fascinating. Though, frankly, I'm probably never going to the United States again either for similar reasons.
Apart from the United States which other countries would you avoid?
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

dws1982 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
dws1982 wrote:Trip was a semi-disaster.
I'm sorry for that. But... didn't you know your travelling companion well? Because doing such a long and intense trip with someone who's not very close is a big, big risk. And honestly, while I understand that Americans may be less expert than us about the dangers of Eastern Europeans strip clubs, this guy was at least very, VERY naive.
Late reply, but yes, I did know him pretty well! But I guess you REALLY get to know someone when you travel with them. I love the guy, and talk to him almost every day still. But I'd never take this kind of trip again with him. If we ever travel together again, it'll be a nice, laid-back trip to the mountains or something, and maybe with another friend or two.

Incidentally, I may be going back to Europe next summer. Nothing is firm yet, but basically I have a friend getting married in Croatia. My best friend happens to be very close friends with this guy, and my friend's wife doesn't want to go to the wedding--they have a baby boy who'll be just over a year old when the wedding takes place, and she doesn't want to leave him or have the hassle of traveling overseas with him. So I may be going. The lodging would be paid for, and all meals for the first weekend would be paid for. All I'd have to pay for is airfare, and any food/sightseeing after the wedding. Since I don't have a wife or child, I may stay longer than my friend do some more sightseeing in that area.

I know the area very well, so in case you decide to go and need some advice, just ask me here or in private. But first try to know WHERE in Croatia you would be based - while the country isn't big, it's geographical structure is quite diverse, so for example there's a big difference between staying in Zagreb (the capital) or, say, Split (on the coast). In summer it's especially beautiful by the way.

Return to “General Off-Topic”