Coming DVDs

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Universal Pictures have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of 8 Film Noir classics on 12th February 2007. Boasting some of Hollywood’s top names from the 40s and 50s this selection of classics priced at £9.99 each includes a repackaged release of Double Indemnity alongside eight new releases…

Out of the Past - Starring Robert Mitchum as a private eye mixed up with a dangerous woman and some even more dangerous gangsters, Out of the Past is a prime example of film noir, bearing all the hallmarks of the genre, including a spectacularly grim climax.

The Killers - Taken from Ernest Hemingway’s tale and told in flashback, Edmond O’Brien is the man investigating the death of boxer turned hoodlum Burt Lancaster, in his screen debut. Ava Gardner is the femme fatale, Robert Siodmak directs this benchmark noir tale.

The Glass Key - Alongside Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett is one of the titans of film noir, this masterful adaptation of his tale of intrigue and corruption, as gangsters mix with politicians, sees Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake positively smouldering as the henchman and politician’s daughter drawn to each other.

Crossfire - The movie that supposedly set Washington on to liberal Hollywood, ending with the anti-communist McCarthy witch-hunt, this noir tells the tale of a bunch of returning GIs investigated for their part in a brutal anti-semitic murder. Noir stalwarts Gloria Grahame and Robert Mitchum star.

The Blue Dahlia - Noir author Raymond Chandler turned his hand to scriptwriting for his one and only screenplay (which was nominated for an Oscar®, no less). Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake are the leads, who, after The Glass Key, sizzle once more together. He is the returning GI who may or may not have been framed for a murder, she is the femme fatale aiding him.

This Gun For Hire - The first time pairing of Veronica Lake and Alan Ladd, here making his screen debut in fourth billing (although the film is undoubtedly his), This Gun For Hire is an early example of the noir genre. Based on a Graham Greene novel, Ladd is the hitman heading towards a bloody end, Lake attempts to save him.

Murder My Sweet aka Farewell My Lovely - The story is perhaps better known under its original Raymond Chandler title, Farewell My Lovely, this adaptation positively crackles. Dick Powell’s turn as Chandler’s definitive noir private eye, Philip Marlowe, is rated by critics and the noir cognoscenti as being as good as Bogart’s take on the detective. Directed by Edward Dmytryk (Crossfire).

The Big Steal - Robert Mitchum is reunited with Jane Greer after Out Of The Past, alongside noir stalwart William Bendix, in this film, which blends noir elements with a caper and heist film, as assorted types play a cat and mouse game across Mexico, all on the trail of a $300,000 booty.

Double Indemnity - A critically acclaimed noir and one of the finest the genre has to offer, Double Indemnity is a bona fide Hollywood cast. It boasts an impeccable pedigree – director Billy Wilder co-wrote the script with Raymond Chandler from a James M Cain (The Postman Always Rings Twice) novel, Fred MacMurray is the insurance salesman led astray by Barbara Stanwyck’s definitive femme fatale, Edward G Robinson investigates them.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hmmm, thirty plus years ago is considered contemporary?

These films are by no stretch of the imagination, classics, though Cinderella Liberty is highly watchable. The Other Side of Midnight is a chore to sit through and John and Mary is pure torture.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of 3 “Contemporary Classics” on 6th March 2007. Priced at $19.98 SRP each and part of the Cinema Classics Collection are…

Cinderella Liberty - His ship docked in Seattle, Navy man John Baggs Jr. (James Caan) has a “Cinderella Liberty” pass, meaning he can be out until midnight – so he intends to make the most of his evening. And things are clearly going his way when he "wins" call girl Maggie Paul (Marsha Mason) in a pool game. But once Baggs finds out that Maggie has an 11 year-old son and another baby on the way, he backs off – anxious to rid himself of complications he just can’t contend with. That is – until he falls in love.

Apart from a director’s commentary features are TBC.

John and Mary - Based on the novel by Mervyn Jones, John and Mary stars Dustin Hoffman as a furniture designer and Mia Farrow as an art gallery assistant who meet in an upscale New York singles bar and go home together. The next day, they individually wander around the city, wondering what their night together might have meant – if anything. Even though both carry over-the-limit baggage from unsuccessful earlier affairs, and both are stocked with enough hang-ups to fill volumes of psychological textbooks, there’s still a chance that they’ll wind up together at least one more time – and if nothing else, learn each other's names for the first time!

Features are TBC.

Other Side of Midnight - Although American WWII pilot Larry Douglas (John Beck) promises to marry French femme fatale Noelle Page (Marie-France Pisier), he instead returns Stateside and marries well-to-do Catherine Alexander (Susan Sarandon). And once Noelle takes a Greek multi-millionaire (Raf Vallone) as a lover, she plots to shame Larry by arranging for him to be the tycoon’s private pilot. But in one of many delicious twists of fate in this gripping tale of love, war and betrayal, Noelle and Larry again become passionate, and when Catherine refuses to divorce Larry, the cheating couple seek a murderous revenge.

Features are TBC.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Doris Day Collection Volume 2 for 10th April 2007. Doris Day, America’s sweetheart of the ‘40s, ‘50s and ‘60s, returns with six more new-to-Region 1 DVD titles, focusing on Miss Day’s golden years at Warner Bros., where her film career began. The collection contains her blockbuster screen debut Romance on the High Seas, as well as such audience favorites as My Dream is Yours, I’ll See You in my Dreams, On Moonlight Bay, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, and Lucky Me – films which contain a treasure chest of musical standards that include “It Had to be You,” “Makin’ Whoopee,” “I’ll String Along With You,” “‘Ain’t we Got Fun” and dozens more.

All the DVDs have been meticulously remastered, using all new digital transfers and each release includes entertaining bonus features such as Oscar-nominated cartoons and vintage shorts. The gift set will be available for $59.92 SRP, and each title is also available separately for $19.97 SRP.

The Films

Romance on the High Seas (1948)
Doris Day’s film debut in this romantic musical was a lucky break, stepping into the lead role as a replacement when Betty Hutton withdrew due to pregnancy. The film’s composer Jule Styne (who collaborated with famed lyricist Sammy Cahn) heard Doris sing at a party, and immediately arranged for her to have a screen test at Warner Bros. for Director Michael Curtiz. The rest is history. Doris was immediately signed for a long-term contract. The film and the song she introduced in it, “It’s Magic,” became huge hits respectively, and immediately catapulted Doris Day to super-stardom as a recording artist and movie star.

The witty screenplay, written by Julius and Philip Epstein (Casablanca) features Doris as a little-known singer named Georgia Garrett. Georgia’s musical career may not be going anywhere, but she is -- on a cruise, sailing under the name Mrs. Elvira Kent while the real Elvira (Janis Paige-“Silk Stockings, Please Don’t Eat the Daisies”) secretly stays home to spy on her presumably philandering hubby (Don DeFore of the TV series “Hazel”). Meanwhile, the husband hires a private detective (Jack Carson) to snoop on his supposedly voyaging wife. Musical legend Oscar Levant also appears as Doris’s long-suffering friend and pianist.

The film’s screwball farce is enhanced with an enchanting array of songs by Styne and Cahn, and features musical numbers staged by the legendary Busby Berkeley…all in eye-popping Technicolor.

Features include:
Classic Warner Bros. musical short Let’s Sing a Song from the Movies
Classic Warner Bros. cartoon I Taw a Putty Tat
Theatrical trailer
Languages: English & French
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

My Dream is Yours (1949)
Director Michael Curtiz began planning Doris Day’s follow-up film, My Dream Is Yours, before Romance on the High Seas was released. That’s how sure both Curtiz and Warner Bros. were about their leading lady’s beckoning stardom. An updated remake of the 1934 Ginger Rogers/Dick Powell vehicle “Twenty Million Sweethearts,” My Dream is Yours re-teams Doris and Jack Carson in a clever story set against the backdrop of the radio industry at its zenith. Talent agent Doug Blake (Carson) is giving 100% to earn his 10%. He walks away from his arrogant singing star (Lee Bowman) and scrambles to discover another who will shine even brighter. He finds effervescent songstress Martha Gibson, played by Ms. Day. Legendary Warner Bros. composer Harry Warren (42nd Street, Gold Diggers of 1933), returned to the studio for the first time in a decade to write the new songs for the film, along with famed lyricist Ralph Blane (Meet Me In St. Louis).

The film is best known for its guest appearance by another Warner Bros. legend, none other than Bugs Bunny, who shares the screen in a musical number with both Doris Day and Jack Carson, in a splendid mix of live action and animation, reminiscent of the famous Gene Kelly/Jerry the Mouse sequence created for Anchors Aweigh.

Features include:
Vintage Joe McDoakes comedy short So You Want to be an Actor
Oscar nominated Warner Bros. short The Grass is Always Greener
Classic Warner Bros. cartoon A Ham in a Role
Theatrical trailer

I’ll See You in My Dreams (1952)
Danny Thomas and Doris Day play famous songwriter Gus Kahn and his devoted wife Grace, in this affectionate musical, one of 1952’s top box-office hits. The title song, plus “It Had to be You,” “Makin Whoopee” and “Love Me or Leave Me” lead a 23-song cavalcade that propels this story of Kahn’s life from the day he walked into a music publishing house to public triumphs, private failures, career decline and comeback. Once again with Warner stalwart director Michael Curtiz at the helm, I’ll See You in My Dreams is a winning tribute to a talented man who put into song what lovers feel in their hearts.

Features include:
Vintage short The Screen Director
Classic Warner Bros. cartoon Lovelorn Leghorn
Theatrical trailer

On Moonlight Bay (1951)
In the tradition of Meet Me in St. Louis and Life with Father, this romantic comedy is a tuneful, romantic view of Midwestern life featuring Doris Day and Gordon MacRae. Based on Booth Tarkington’s Penrod stories, the story of a tomboy who suddenly wants to trade her pants for petticoats to impress the boy next door, is a classic slice of Americana. The supporting cast features Leon Ames and Rosemary De Camp as Father and Mother Wakefield and Billy Gray (TV’s “Father Knows Best”) as the bratty little brother. Filled with vintage songs of a by-gone period, On Moonlight Bay was one of the biggest box-office hits of its time, and also is one of Doris Day’s personal favorites among her vast filmography.

Features include:
Vintage Warner Bros. musical Short Let’s Sing a Song About the Moonlight
Classic Warner Bros. cartoon A Hound for Trouble
Theatrical trailer

By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1953)
The huge popularity of On Moonlight Bay made the possibility of a sequel a natural, and this is in an era where sequels were a rarity. So the irresistible pair of young lovers Doris Day and Gordon MacRae return, along with Rosemary DeCamp, Mary Wickes and Billy Gray in this remembrance of World War I-era Americana. There’s a new array of nine nostalgic standards – and an addition of several lavish production numbers, but as with its prequel, the emphasis remains on the same homespun humor derived from Booth Tarkington’s Penrod stories, which made Silvery Moon another box-office winner from Warner Bros.

Features include:
Vintage Joe McDoakes comedy shorts:
So You Want to Learn to Dance
So You Want a Television Set
Oscar-nominated Warner Bros. cartoon From A to Z-Z-Z-Z
Theatrical trailer

Lucky Me (1954)
Struggling performer Candy Williams (Doris Day) finds many ways to ward off bad luck. Maybe that’s why the most lopsided, unlucky day of her life turns out to be the luckiest. Lucky Me reunites Day with Calamity Jane tunesmiths Sammy Fain and Paul Francis Webster with another delightful score. The DVD has been remastered in 16x9 Wide screen to take full advantage of the photography used by the then-new CinemaScope process, and also features a newly remastered soundtrack in Dolby Digital 5.1.

Features include:
Vintage Warner Bros. short When the Talkies Were Young
Oscar-nominated Warner Bros. cartoon Sandy Claws
Theatrical trailer
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Thanks Big Magilla & Okri. Some goodies to look forward to.

Here is some new release information from Warners:

Warner Home Video have announced the release of five romantic classics making their Region 1 DVD debuts on 6th February 2007. This offering, representing views of romance spanning five decades, includes The Clock, Crossing Delancey, Miracle in the Rain, A Summer Place and Blume in Love. Lovers, star-crossed, destined and otherwise, include Judy Garland and Robert Walker / Jane Wyman and Van Johnson / Sandra Dee and Troy Donohue / George Segal and Susan Anspach / Amy Irving and Peter Reigert. Bonus features such as vintage shorts and classic cartoons are included as well.

Retail is $19.97 SRP each.

The Clock (1945)
Judy Garland, in her first dramatic role, and Robert Walker are sweethearts for the ages in this glowing valentine directed by Vincente Minnelli. And New York itself takes a role, transforming the whirlwind courtship into a love triangle. This classic wartime romance tells the story of a soldier on a two day leave in Manhattan and the lovely young woman who shows him the sights, and ultimately gives him her heart. The film was named one of the Top 10 movies of 1945 by The National Board of Review.

Features include:
Vintage Pete Smith Specialty Short Hollywood Scout
Classic cartoon The Screwy Truant
Audio-Only Bonus: Radio show adaptation with Judy Garland and John Hodiak
Original theatrical trailer

Crossing Delancey (1988)
Amy Irving, as modern career girl, Izzy, is the radiant center of this witty charmer, and her co-stars strike comic sparks galore as old-world ways rub against new-world woes. Peter Riegert plays the ”pickle man,” Jeroen Krabbe is his rival and Sylvia Miles is the matchmaker Izzie’s grandmother hires to find the right man for her. Irving was nominated for a Golden Globe® for her performance as a young woman with one foot in each of two worlds -- not quite sure about “crossing Delancey.”

Features include:

Miracle in the Rain (1956)
Get the handkerchiefs ready for Miracle in the Rain, starring Jane Wyman and Van Johnson as lonely strangers who meet, fall in love and make plans never to part when he returns from the front. Like The Clock of 11 years earlier, Miracle beguiles with vignettes of bustling World War II New York. And it shines with its sense that those we hold close to our hearts are always with us. The film is based on the novel by Hollywood writer Ben Hecht, and the lush score composed by legendary film composer Franz Waxman (Sunset Blvd. and The Spirit of St. Louis).

Features include:
Two vintage “Behind the Cameras” segments from the Warner Bros. Presents TV series

A Summer Place (1959)
Sandra Dee and Troy Donahue, teen idols of their day, star in this enduring favorite about desire and tumult at an elite Maine resort, from the bestseller by Sloan Wilson (The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit). In his first movie lead, Donahue is strong, handsome and unshakably devoted as lovestruck Johnny Hunter. And 17-year-old Dee is pixieish Molly, a woman/child struggling to cope with adult emotions. Set to a lush Max Steiner score that produced one of the most unforgettable movie themes ever, this box-office hit also stars Dorothy McGuire, Richard Egan, Arthur Kennedy, Constance Ford, the adults in Johnny and Dee’s lives, also romantically at odds.

Features include:

Blume in Love (1973)
Beverly Hills divorce attorney Stephen Blume (George Segal) finds the tables turned when his own marriage falls apart. Now that it’s too late, he realizes he loves his wife Nina (Susan Anspach) more than ever before. The bumbling, bereft Blume will do anything to win her back. Each overture is rejected. And each rejection just fuels Blume’s quest. The hilarious Blume in Love is writer/director Paul Mazursky’s witty, dead-on look at the modern marriage-go-round. Kris Kristofferson, Shelley Winters and Marsha Mason give comical and complex supporting performances as people in love and in lust, out of luck yet never out of hope.

Features include:
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Criterion is also releasing a new line called Eclipse. They'll tend to be barebone releases of director's earlier efforst - their first grouping is from Ingmar Bergman and will contain the following films: Torment, To Joy, Crisis, Port of Call, Thirst. The goal, I believe, is to simply get these films into Region 1. I think Criterion will be working on full Criterion editions of some of these works (not necessarily from the first line-up).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:Has anyone heard of any possible releases for the year from Criterion?
Zero for Conduct, Death of a Cyclist, Monkika, Sansho the Baliff, Ronin 47, Fires on the Plain, W.R.: Mysteries of the Organism, Before Sunset, Before Sunrise, Suburbia (1996), The Earrings of Madame De... and Army of Shadows are all rumored to be on the way according to the Criterion forum. A re-issue of Salo has been confirmed.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Criterion have listed on their site Bicycle Thieves, Green for Danger, The 49th Parallel, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs and a group of Paul Robeson films for February.

The Burmess Harp, Fires on the Plain and The Naked City for March.

I beleive that John Huston's Under the Volcano and Byron Haskin's Robinson Crusoe on Mars are due sometime later in the year.

Has anyone heard of any possible releases for the year from Criterion?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

BFI have announced the UK DVD release of Derek Jarman's Caravaggio, Wittgenstein and The Angelic Conversation (1985) for 29th January 2007. All have been digitally restored and re-mastered for DVD and each with extensive and illuminating extra features. Retail is £19.99 each.

The films were made with the BFI Production Board, whose aim was to foster innovation in British filmmaking, thus providing a natural home for Jarman's artistic sensibility. These three films represent highpoints in his career and are perhaps the most enduring in their appeal and relevance to contemporary audiences.

Caravaggio (1986) - Derek Jarman struggled for seven years to bring his portrait of the seventeenth-century Italian artist Michelangelo da Caravaggio to the screen. The result was greeted with critical acclaim: a freely dramatised portrait of the controversial artist and a powerful meditation on sexuality, criminality and art - a new and refreshing take on the usual biopic.

Features include:
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English HOH subtitles
Specially commissioned interviews with Tilda Swinton, Nigel Terry and production designer Christopher Hobbs
Feature commentary by cinematographer Gabriel Beristain
Filmed and audio interviews with Derek Jarman
Gallery of storyboards, production sketches and Derek Jarman's notebooks
18-page illustrated booklet including introductory essay by Colin MacCabe and interview with costume designer Sandy Powell

Wittgenstein (1993) - Philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein once stated that philosophy ought to be written as if it were poetry, and a poetic intensity typified his life and his work. No wonder, then, that a creative talent such as Derek Jarman should respond with such characteristic energy to a commission from Channel 4 for a film about the philosopher, written by radical literary theorist Terry Eagleton.

Features include:
1.66:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English HOH subtitles
Specially commissioned interviews with Tilda Swinton, Karl Johnson, and producer Tariq Ali
Extensive behind-the-scenes footage showing Derek Jarman at work on set
Filmed introduction by film historian Ian Christie
The Clearing (Alexis Bistikas, 1994, 7 mins), a short film featuring Derek Jarman
18-page illustrated booklet including introductory essay by Colin MacCabe and interview with award-winning costume designer Sandy Powell

The Angelic Conversation (1985) - Intense, dreamlike, and poetic, The Angelic Conversation is one of the most artistic of Derek Jarman's films. With his painter's eye, Jarman conjured, in a beautiful palette of light, colour and texture, an evocative and radical visualisation of Shakespeare's love poems.

Features include:
1.33:1 Full Frame
Optional English HOH subtitles
Specially commissioned interviews with producer James Mackay and production designer Christopher Hobbs
Derek Jarman in conversation with Simon Field (1989, 32 mins)
Stills gallery
20-page illustrated booklet including introductory essay by Colin MacCabe, Tilda Swinton's testimonial letter to Derek Jarman and photographs taken during the making of the film
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Tartan Video have announced the UK DVD release of Pasolini Volume 1 for 26th February 2007 priced at £39.99. One of the most important filmmakers of world cinema, Pier Paolo Pasolini has made a reputation for himself as one of the main voices of post-war Italy. He was a renowned poet and author, writing screenplays for both Fellini and Bertolucci before turning to directing. He shared the same approach to film-making as the leaders of France's Nouvelle Vague, Truffaut and Godard. He frequently took the social outcasts and working class as his subjects, but also brought in his Marxist tendencies and homosexuality as themes to berate the controlling powers of the state. These films reveal his emerging talent as one of this cinematic poet and revolutionary, who has influenced directors such as Scorsese.

Accatone! (1961)
Set in Rome's slums, this gritty first feature explores the world of petty thieves and prostitutes. The focus is on Accatone, a young pimp, who thrives on crime. When he falls in love, he contemplates leaving it all behind and going straight. Circumstances conspire against him. The brutal depiction of real life also reveals his continual obsession with social outcasts. It also marks the starts of fellow director's career, Bertolucci .

RoGoPaG (1962)
Four film-makers provided a short film which all brought to together under the umbrella title, RoGoPaG. Pasolini's segment, La Ricotta is a biting satire which angered the Church which accused him of blasphemy and led to a short prison sentence. It stars Orson Welles as a director trying to make a film about the Crucifixion with the cast made up of peasants and a Jesus who has sex with boys. Ironically, his next movie, The Gospel According To St Matthew, is revered as one of the most pious, faithful Biblical adaptations. The other short films are by Jean-Luc Godard Rossellini, and Ugo Gregoretti.

Love Meetings (1964)
Focussing on sex as the subject for this documentary, Pasolini wanders through Rome interviewing people about their attitides towards marriage, divorce, prostitution, homosexuality and infidelity. His interviewees are chosen from different social backgrounds and represent a wide age range. Their opinions are often frank and honest, proving both philosophical and amusing, as well as revealing their own prejudices and even disgust. A delicious slice of Italian mores in the '60s.

Features are TBC.

Currently scheduled for April Pasolini Volume 2 will include Hawks & Sparrows, Oedipus Rex and Pigsty.
Posted by Dave Foster on 24-12-2006 14:00 (242 views)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I love that they're including the Conchita Banana commercials on The Gang's All Here DVD.

For those of you who don't know, and I dare say that would include most of you, these were commercials done more like public service announcements and shown along with coming attractions trailers and/or cartoons with double features at local theatres in the late 40s. Conchita Banana was a cartoon character drawn in the image of Carmen Miranda and she "came to say don't put bananas in your refrigerator", later revealed as ploy by the fruit industry to get bananas to spoil faster thus getting consumers to buy more bananas, a ploy that still works today. The commercials themselves were often the highlight of the movie going experience, at least they were for me when I was just a little tyke.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Alice Faye Collection for 20th February 2007. Her girl-next-door looks combined with a sultry singing voice made Alice Faye one of Hollywood’s biggest stars in the Golden Age of Cinema, and now Fox are releasing four films starring Alice Faye as part of their Marquee Musicals series of releases. Lillian Russell, That Night In Rio and The Gang’s All Here will be available individually ($19.98 SRP each) or as part of a 4-disc collection ($49.98 SRP) which boasts an exclusive fourth film On The Avenue.

Details on the individual titles follow, with specs for the box-set exclusive title On The Avenue to be confirmed...

Lillian Russell (1940) - It’s the gay 90’s and headliner Lillian Russell (Alice Faye) is unstoppable! Called, “The English Ballad Singer” her beauty, charm and unforgettable voice packed playhouses everywhere. Offstage, she was equally amazing with an extravagant lifestyle that included four husbands, a jewel-studded bicycle and a wardrobe filled with furs, jewels, gowns and diamond-decorated corsets. As Russell, Faye breathes life into this glamorous icon singing old standards such as, “After the Ball” and new songs including, “Blue Love Bird.” One of Faye’s best dramatic roles; she stars with actors Don Ameche, Henry Fonda and Edward Arnold.

Features include:
English Mono & Stereo
Spanish subtitles
Lillian Russell Biography
Restoration Comparison

That Night In Rio (1941) - Don Am eche and Alice Faye pair up as husband and wife, Baron and Baroness Duarte and head to South America in this musical classic. In order to avoid some financial problems, the Baron switches places with impersonator Larry Martin “Direto da Broadway” (also Ameche). When Martin’s affections for the Baroness are too kind and romantic, both the Baroness and Martin’s girlfriend Carmen (Carmen Miranda) realize their men are up to something. Filmed in brilliant Technicolor®, That Night in Rio is a delightful comedy filled with rousing musical numbers including Faye’s passionate and romantic, “They Met in Rio.”

Features include:
English Mono & Stereo
Spanish subtitles
Alice Faye – A Life Off Screen
Restoration Comparison

The Gang’s All Here (1944) - Ea die Allen (Alice Faye) is a chorus girl who dreams of becoming a star. While working at a New York nightclub, she meets Sergeant Andy Mason (James Ellison); they fall in love but he is shipped off to war. As Eadie becomes the headliner at the nightclub, Andy comes home a war hero. But complications arise when Eadie finds out Andy is unofficially engaged to another woman. It’s up to Eadie’s friend and nightclub co-star Dorita (Carmen Miranda) to set things straight. The Gang’s All Here is filled with leggy chorus dancers and lavish musical production numbers including Faye’s flashy neon finale “The Polka Dot Polka.”

Features include:
English Stereo
Film Historian Commentary
Carmen Miranda on the Ed Sullivan Show
Johnny Carson Bananas Musical Number
Chiquita Bananas Commercials 1-5
Theatrical Trailer
Pin-Up Girl Trailer
Still Gallery
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:
Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Franz Waxman's score is probably his best next to Peyton Place.

By the way, Big. The Museum of Modern Art is having a month-long celebration of Franz Waxman from mid-Deember to mid-January.

Oh, man, I wish I could go....
Peyton Place is being shown this Saturday.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Franz Waxman's score is probably his best next to Peyton Place.

By the way, Big. The Museum of Modern Art is having a month-long celebration of Franz Waxman from mid-Deember to mid-January.
Oh, man, I wish I could go....
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “DVD Discussions”