Best Cinematography 1948

1927/28 through 1997

Which of the 1948 Oscar nominees had the Best B&W and Color Cinematography?

A Foreign Affair (Charles Lang)
21%
I Remember Mama (Nicholas Masuraca)
No votes
Johnny Belinda (Ted D. McCord)
14%
The Naked City (William H. Daniels)
7%
Portrait of Jennie (Joseph H. August)
7%
Green Grass of Wyoming (Charles D. Clarke)
No votes
Joan of Arc (Joseph A. Valentine, William V. Skall, Winton C. Koch)
29%
The Loves of Carmen (William E. Snyder)
7%
The Three Musketeers (Robert H. Planck)
14%

Total votes: 14

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Best Cinematography 1948

Post by Precious Doll »

Anyone know why there were only 4 colour nominees?

Anyway, I voted for Johnny Belinda & Joan of Arc.

Omissions (some of which may not have been eligible) include: Letter from an Unknown Woman, The Red Shoes, The Boy with Green Hair, Louisiana Story, Unfaithfully Yours, The Search & Red River.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, but they probably thought a nomination would mean a sure win so they chose not to go there but why they ignored box-office behemoth Easter Parade is a bit of a headscratcher.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:They probably thought giving back-to-back awards to Jack Cardiff, who won the year before for Black Narcissus, would have been too much for a non-guild member.
Though they could have still nominated the film without awarding Cardiff the Oscar as there was an open 5th spot.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They probably thought giving back-to-back awards to Jack Cardiff, who won the year before for Black Narcissus, would have been too much for a non-guild member.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Not only was this group of four pretty anemic, but the two most dazzling color films of the year, The Red Shoes and Easter Parade were omitted.
The "dazzling" colour cinematography of "The Red Shoes" has been written about since the film came out. But was it really that dazzling? I always throught it was overdone with an overuse of red tones stifling the whole enterprise. Maybe I need to watch it again. The Academy nominated only 4 films in the colour category and could easily have given the fifth spot to "The Red Shoes" which they did not despite awarding it four nominations including best picture.

I voted for "The Loves of Carmen", also pretty dazzling, as was "The Three Musketeers".

On the b/w front voted for the noir-like lighting of "Johnny Belinda" although "The Naked City" and "Portrait of Jennie" are equally good.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Cinematography 1948

Post by Big Magilla »

Black-and-White

I like all five of these nominees, although an equally fine group of five could have included The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Red River, Fort Apache, Key Largo and The Search.

Any one of the actual nominees would be fine, but my choice is the on-location in war-torn Berlin filming of Billy Wilder's A Foreign Affair by the prolific Charles Lang who won just one of the eighteen Oscars he was nominated for over a forty-three period from 1930-1972 for 1932's A Farewell to Arms.

Color

Not only was this group of four pretty anemic, but the two most dazzling color films of the year, The Red Shoes and Easter Parade were omitted.

My vote goes to The Three Musketeers, the least dull of the four.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”